Role of Veterinarians in Bioterrorism

Started by rosemma
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is a hot topic for interviews, so what are some of the roles of veterinarians in bio-terrorism?
 
I don't think my response is going to be too creative, but the main roles I can think of are characterizing and monitoring pathogens that could be suited for use as bioterrorism agents, preparation for attacks by basing defensive strategies or protocols based on the likely effects and epidemiology of the diseases in question, and, if it comes to it, implementing their experience with identifying, healing, and preventing the spread of infectious diseases if these bioterrorism agents are ever unleashed.

Other than that, I'd be interested in hearing other peoples ideas!
 
Oooh! I almost forgot: Educating the public about potential risks and countermeasures. Very important!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, I would think that a veterinarian's knowledge of zoonotic diseases should be able to help a lot, too. Because unlike with MDs or DOs or whatever that only specialize in one species, vets are trained to notice signs and symptoms of the same disease in several organisms.