Role Playin: What would you do?

Started by dogdayafternoon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

dogdayafternoon

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, I started an earlier thread here about applying to medical schools in the Caribbean. Here is my dilemma. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I got a 8V, 10P, and 11B with Q in writing. I applied late (because I took the August MCAT) for the fall 2006 admission cycle and to 9 schools. Right now I am with 2 waitlists and very low probability of acceptance. The other 7 schools have already rejected me.

I talked with adcoms about why I have been rejected and they all said the same thing:
1.) Apply early!
2.) Retake the MCAT to increase your verbal to at least a 9

I have everything else in my application: research, volunteer, community service, GPA, and good LORs.

The monumental problem that comes is that if I follow the adcom advice I would not be able to apply for fall 2007 admission. They want me to retake the MCAT and apply early. The problem is that a month is not enough time to prepare for the April MCAT. I thought a 29Q would be enough. And if I take the August 2006 MCAT, I'm in the same boat because I am applying late again and my application won't be reviewed until my scores come in.

The adcoms basically say they want me to apply for fall 2008 admission.

With that said, does it sound as crazy as before when I said I wouldn't mind going to SGU, AUC, or Ross for fall 2006 acceptance? Not just 1 year of my life, but I will save 2 years of my life because (in all honesty) there is no guarauntee in the U.S. allopathic medical school admission system.

P.S. Do you guys think I have a good shot at acceptance at at least one of those schools? I applied last week.
 
I would recommend you stay in the u.s. I also factored in the time constraints. I, too, was in a hurry to get my MD/DO... but the caribbean is an uphill battle. The goal of medical school is to get yourself a good residency. I'm sure you've heard all the up/down sides for going to a school out of the u.s. For me, it wasn't worth the risk. If I don't get in the first year that I apply. I plan to work 40-hrs in the health profession and save up some money until I do actually get in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GO TO THE CARIB!!

You get to enjoy the sun, get a tan, go swim at the beach and study.

OB/GYN is wide open as long as you have the right scores so go for it and stop wasting your time in the US!
 
McGillGrad,
Thanks for the responses but I don't know if you are being serious or not. I opened this thread to clarify my reasons. In the other thread it seemed like the posters thought I didn't want to reapply to U.S. allopathic medical schools. In reality, I don't want to take the MCAT again and reapply for the 2008 admission.

Thanks
 
dogdayafternoon said:
McGillGrad,
Thanks for the responses but I don't know if you are being serious or not. I opened this thread to clarify my reasons. In the other thread it seemed like the posters thought I didn't want to reapply to U.S. allopathic medical schools. In reality, I don't want to take the MCAT again and reapply for the 2008 admission.

Thanks


I was being truthful insomuch that I have two views on this subject and they are both valid options.

If US schools are more of a hassle than a benefit, then SGU will be a great option. They have a have campus, great student support, nice island and opportunity for moderately competitive residencies.

If I were in your shoes at my age (late 20s) then I would run to SGU and never look back.
 
You can easily get into a us do program as long as your gpa ia above 3.0