Roles of a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

momoftwosons

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because I am a veterinarian, I know I have to see a patient before a medication is prescribed. However, in doing my research on pharmacy I read that certain types of pharmacists "advise the medical staff on the selection and effect of drugs. " Does this mean that a pharmacist can determine a medication without a doctors recommendation? Just wondering...thanks.
 
Where I work, I will make recommendations to the nurses regarding medication, sometimes getting the drs to order retroactively when legally necessary. For instance, a fellow was brought to health care with a bad EPS from his neuroleptic. So I advised the nurses to give him IM benztropine, and later the dr wrote the order to cover it.

Is that what you mean?

Edited to add: retail pharmacists recommend OTCs all the time without a dr's recommendation.
 
Last edited:
NOPE! Particularly with vets, unless you're a vet pharmacist. Animals handle drugs much differently than people.

I worked with a cardiovascular surgeon who treated animals at an entertainment facility. She had such crazy doses - but, it was based on how they metabolized the drugs.

She had training.....far beyond mine and in conjunction with the vets she worked with.

I don't work with vets much, but its not uncommon for me to dispense 5 grains (yes - GRAINS) of thyroid to a dog or cat - way off the human charts!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, just asking as a potential HUMAN pharmacist. In the veterinary field, we are the pharmacist. But, I was reading about human pharmacist positions and one gave that above statement. I guess pharmavixen answered the question. I guess sense with humans, all of the disciplines are seperate (i.e. pharmacist, Gen. practice, surgeon, pharmacist, etc). but in veterinary medicine we are all of the above. So we would be the only ones in contact (for advice/recommendation) for that patient. Just sounding weird. Thanks

***EXTRA NOTE: I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO APPLY TO PHARMACY SCHOOL. SO I AM ASKING AS A POTENTIAL HUMAN PHARMACIST. I really want to get more insight on my different prospects of pharmacy and what are my different options for a career within the pharm community.
 
Nope, just asking as a potential HUMAN pharmacist. In the veterinary field, we are the pharmacist. But, I was reading about human pharmacist positions and one gave that above statement. I guess pharmavixen answered the question. I guess sense with humans, all of the disciplines are seperate (i.e. pharmacist, Gen. practice, surgeon, pharmacist, etc). but in veterinary medicine we are all of the above. So we would be the only ones in contact (for advice/recommendation) for that patient. Just sounding weird. Thanks

***EXTRA NOTE: I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO APPLY TO PHARMACY SCHOOL. SO I AM ASKING AS A POTENTIAL HUMAN PHARMACIST. I really want to get more insight on my different prospects of pharmacy and what are my different options for a career within the pharm community.
you should pm loo. He is a pharmacist in veterinary school
 
You two need to get together and talk. You are both heading in opposite directions for the same reasons. Maybe you could save each other alot of time and money.....

From your previous responses, I feel you are trying to discourage my thoughts on changing careers. Please share why. I seriously want to know because I have taken all the necessary measures to apply to school and I don't want to go into this blindly. I truly want to make the change, but what is it you think I may be overlooking? Has loo stated why he has left to become a vet?
 
Momoftwosons:

Lemme pick your brain a bit, if you don't mind?

1. Are you considering pharmacy as a way out of your current practice environment or are you finding out that vet med may not be what you wanted after all? Are you licensed in border states---Georgia, Florida, etc. so that you can maximize your chances of finding a better practice and still see your family?

2. Have you thought of going back and doing a residency/specializing? There are very good opportunities for veterinary pharmacologists, etc. these days, but the residency slots are somewhat limited...

3. Have you checked out pharmacy schools in your state? Auburn, UAB(?). Alabama pharmacy folks need to chime in here...

4. Being a recent grad, I'm sure that money may/may not be an issue. Would you be ready to slog through another 4-5 years being a poor student again?

I don't mean to patronize you...just want to be sure you're not in a temporary situation that may get better by changing your current job.
 
Has loo stated why he has left to become a vet?

Yep. I've always wanted to go to vet school. I got into pharmacy because I hated writing papers, loved hardcore sciences and chemistry, and had a backup career in case things didn't work out (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this). And for a long, long while they did not.

I have to say, pharmacy was a surprisingly good choice for me because I learned common sense, how to work under pressure as a team member; and most importantly, how to listen/communicate effectively with people. I'm extremely grateful for this.

But now, I have the opportunity of my lifetime and I'm going for it!!! I've never been happier. I've finally moved towards my right livelihood.
 
All questions absolutely fair.
1. Vet med...not for me. Love the medicine but not the industry. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a small animal vet. Unless I want to work all kinds of hours/days I will never make the money I want. I can't stand peoples (not all) prospective on the priority of their pets health. I hate how pets can't take care of themselve and rely on people who would rather watch fireworks and get their drink on for 3 days instead of bringing in their dog with hotspots covering their entire head!!! (Sorry flashback of 3 days ago). I am not licensed in other states because as a vet for USDA I knew I NEVER wanted to travel or be away from my family again!

2. I don't know those oppotunities. I would consider it though.

3. My top choice is Samford/McWhorten here in Birmingham (see McWhorten thread I started).

4. I am more than ready to what it takes to secure a better future for my kids.

I don't feel patronized. This is something I had been considering for a year now and it just came to a head since February. I feel that if I don't jump in head first now, I will lose my courage and stay miserable and disheartened. I don't want to die in a clinic just to make ends meet or to have a little bit of a life. I don't want to spend the next 20 odd years wishing I could smack some of the folk who come to my clinic or take out my employers! I mean, fill me in...why are you making the change (can't be for the money)...sorry just had to say it!🙂
 
I mean, fill me in...why are you making the change (can't be for the money)...sorry just had to say it!🙂

You're definitely right there! It's not for the money! I'd rather spend the second half of my life doing something that is beyond myself. Call me simple, but I feel energized by doing work that is palpable and has direct results. I guess you could call that "instant gratification". Yeah, clients can be a-holes, but at least I know I helped an animal in some way...

And...I get to be outside!!!!! (ok, sometimes)😀

Geez, do you feel like you're standing naked in front of everybody right now?
 
Yeah---here's something.

Remember third year pharmacology? Hope you liked it! You'll get a lot of that in pharmacy school...AND MORE!

Lots of useless information you'll regurgitate for exams...and then promptly forget. Hmmm. Having any flashbacks?:laugh:
 
Geez, do you feel like you're standing naked in front of everybody right now?

Boy do I😀!


Outside huh? Large animal? Blah if so!👎 I remember pharm, but I liked it (got an A and a B). It's the chemistry part I am NOT looking forward to.👎thumbdown👎
 
From your previous responses, I feel you are trying to discourage my thoughts on changing careers. Please share why. I seriously want to know because I have taken all the necessary measures to apply to school and I don't want to go into this blindly. I truly want to make the change, but what is it you think I may be overlooking? Has loo stated why he has left to become a vet?

No disrespect but it sounds to me that you are heading into this blindly. What do you know about the profession of pharmacy. Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? Do you have any idea what the job entails? Do you realize how expensive and difficult pharmacy school is especially if you have to support a family and raise kids?

You mentioned several times about the low pay and lack of respect you get as a Vet. You also said you are looking for a job to secure a future for your family. The old saying about the grass not always being greener are good words to live buy. I promise you the sweetness of a big paycheck will fade quickly if you are dissatisfied with your job.
 
Outside huh? Large animal? Blah if so!👎

Don't be hating on us mixed-practice wannabes!:laugh: Some of us like bessie cow and the smell of manure/chicken poop in the morning! I'm definitely going to keep my mind open to all the possibilities, though...

When do you plan to take the PCAT?

Have you talked to anyone at the pharmacy schools of your choice?

It seems as though you have the "drive" necessary to get through pharmacy school and that "drive" will sustain you when things get tough. If you got through the grind of vet school, surely you have the study skills to get through pharmacy school...

MountainPharmD is right about the grass being greener syndrome, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
loo and momoftwosons, I don't know if either of you are the entrepreneurial types, however, there is some overlap between veterinary medicine and veterinary pharmacy that both of you could utilize.

I used to go a vet clinic that was right next door to a veterinary pharmacy. The clinic and the pharmacy were busy. Perhaps both of you could look into this kind of combination.
 
No disrespect but it sounds to me that you are heading into this blindly. What do you know about the profession of pharmacy. Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? Do you have any idea what the job entails? Do you realize how expensive and difficult pharmacy school is especially if you have to support a family and raise kids?

You mentioned several times about the low pay and lack of respect you get as a Vet. You also said you are looking for a job to secure a future for your family. The old saying about the grass not always being greener are good words to live buy. I promise you the sweetness of a big paycheck will fade quickly if you are dissatisfied with your job.

No disrespect taken. I am quite sure many people who choose to change careers have not ACTUALLY worked in that field (due to the fact they were working in the one they already were in...can't just stop being a veterinarian to go "play" pharmacist). I don't feel this is doing anything blindly since I already am a "pharmacist" in my clinic. If it is no different (grass not greener) as a pharmacist then me doing it to make better money thereby securing a better future for my kids is good enough reason (at least for ME....make sure all read the word ME). You all (pharmacist) also have more choices within pharmacy than we do as vets...meaning if I don't like what I am doing I can change companies, locations

Many people/clients are idiot pains in my ass that I must cater to when that was not what I got into vet med for. Same with pharm I am sure for many. But, you do it and when you leave work YOU ALL get to enjoy your lives. I can't. Yeah I know about the cost (I went to vet school remember and it costs the same). As far as family responsibilities, I was a single mother during vet school and guess what I am a doctor now (I am married now).

Worth it??? Heck yeah. I prayed long and hard before making this decision, so blind I am not. Scared, yes who wouldn't be. But, I can and will do it (if given the chance). I appreciate the advice though.🙂
 
Last edited:
Don't be hating on us mixed-practice wannabes!:laugh: Some of us like bessie cow and the smell of manure/chicken poop in the morning! I'm definitely going to keep my mind open to all the possibilities, though...

When do you plan to take the PCAT?

Have you talked to anyone at the pharmacy schools of your choice?

It seems as though you have the "drive" necessary to get through pharmacy school and that "drive" will sustain you when things get tough. If you got through the grind of vet school, surely you have the study skills to get through pharmacy school...

MountainPharmD is right about the grass being greener syndrome, though.

I will send all my "bessie" clients to you. I promised my large animal OB teacher if he passed me I promised to NOT deliver any cows, do a fetotomy, etc. I am planning for the PCAT in October and I am scared out of my mind about it. I did great in undergrad but that was oh so long ago. And studying is BORING!👎 I am planning to visit Samford soon (my friend is a student there and she is going to get me in to speak to a few professors and things). I have more than the drive. I have the strongest desire for change. Vet school was HARD. As I am sure all professional schools are. I am not dumb either (or is that necessary to even say).😛
 
I am planning for the PCAT in October and I am scared out of my mind about it. I did great in undergrad but that was oh so long ago. And studying is BORING!👎 I am planning to visit Samford soon (my friend is a student there and she is going to get me in to speak to a few professors and things). I have more than the drive. I have the strongest desire for change. Vet school was HARD. As I am sure all professional schools are. I am not dumb either (or is that necessary to even say).😛

Wow. You are ready for a change, eh? I wish you the best of luck:luck:. I didn't have to take the PCAT, but I wouldn't stress too badly over it...it's just another hoop to jump through.

Keep hanging out on these forums...there are good people who will be more than happy to help you out!

As far as idiot clients...you're gonna get the same in retail (community) practice; but you don't have to take it home with you (i.e., you're not on call).

I wish you well. It takes guts to do what you're doing!