ROLIC system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacyresi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are now almost getting to the end! ROLIC is up and running as at this morning and I am pleased to have put in my rankings...Staying very hopeful.
Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

We are now almost getting to the end! ROLIC is up and running as at this morning and I am pleased to have put in my rankings...Staying very hopeful.
Good luck everyone!

Can you point me to the link? I have not made up my mind yet on the rankings. Can I try it to see how it works or it just locks in once I submit my rankings? March 8th is the last date for me to submit my rankings right? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, if you really don't want to go somewhere, don't put them on the bottom of the list. You should remove them from your list. Otherwise there's still a chance of getting in there...

Remember, if you really don't want to go somewhere, don't put them on the bottom of the list. You should remove them from your list. Otherwise there's still a chance of getting in there...

lol....good advice

I put in my 3 programs. Wasn't too hard to rank them. I'm really staring at my list and thinking "this is not going to happen". Sigh. Debating if I should put in one program though. I don't know. I didn't get good vibes, but it wasn't horrible. Don't know what to do. I'm gonna think about it.

Before you do that though, really consider if it will be worse to go to an undesirable place or to not do a residency at all if you don't match...just my two cents from last year's experience. Not saying I would have matched even if I had ranked all of my places, but now I'll never know.

Before you do that though, really consider if it will be worse to go to an undesirable place or to not do a residency at all if you don't match...just my two cents from last year's experience. Not saying I would have matched even if I had ranked all of my places, but now I'll never know.

And you'll also never find out first hand that there's probably a good reason why you didn't rank them.

If you and a program are not a good fit for each other (yes its a two way street), do not rank them.

And you'll also never find out first hand that there's probably a good reason why you didn't rank them.

If you and a program are not a good fit for each other (yes its a two way street), do not rank them.

I can see both perspectives on this. I don't have high hopes that this program would rank me high anyways, but I'm just trying to think could I survive a year there. Would it be worth it or not. It's a tough question. This is what I wanted for awhile now, but can I handle be miserable for it. No pain, no gain?

I can see both perspectives on this. I don't have high hopes that this program would rank me high anyways, but I'm just trying to think could I survive a year there. Would it be worth it or not. It's a tough question. This is what I wanted for awhile now, but can I handle be miserable for it. No pain, no gain?

Are they telling this to everyone that interviewed? Have any of you been told this as well?

Last edited:
I was told by some of my programs that I should consider ranking them and one specifically said that I was very sound and they were very impressed with me. Are they telling this to everyone that interviewed? Have any of you been told this as well?

No one has told me that on any of my interviews. Maybe this is good for you, but I can't see. Don't think they would say that to someone that they didn't like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by some of my programs that I should consider ranking them and one specifically said that I was very sound and they were very impressed with me. Are they telling this to everyone that interviewed? Have any of you been told this as well?
i haven't had a convo like that with any of them. that's odd.

I haven't gotten this either....are programs allowed to make comments about ranking at the interviews?

Accept the good sign. Sounds like that program will be ranking you.

Interestingly, they are not meant to make comments about ranking but I had a PD email someone I know and said they were a very good candidate and that they will be pleased to welcome them to the program come match day...now, what does that say? Is that a subtle hint or not so subtle?

:thumbup:

i haven't had a convo like that with any of them. that's odd.

I remember one program last year said during my interview "remember us well during the Match". I didn't take it as a "we're ranking you first" type thing. It sounded more like "we want a wide applicant pool so we don't need to scramble".

i had a PD send me an email about a week after my interview telling me he and the others were impressed with my background and my presentation and that he is looking forward to talking to me more... not sure if everyone else got the same email, but i don't want to ask my classmates who interviewed there in case they did not....

:confused:

Just curious. Do programs rank all the candidates that they interview?

Just curious. Do programs rank all the candidates that they interview?

This is certainly possible but not always the case. Programs see the interview process as an opportunity to get to know candidates and see if they are a good fit. One program told me they usually cut 1/3 to 1/2 of the interviewed candidates out of their ranking process and it's usually done because of red flags or just a genuine feeling that those candidates would not fit well with their program. Others say they end up not ranking 10 to 20% of their interviewees. It depends year to year, but the majority of places always end up not ranking a few.

As someone was saying earlier It's a 2 way street. They certainly want to make sure that who they rank will be a great fit for the program and are not hesitant to leave out someone who they don't want to spend 1 year with. Regardless of whether you rank all of your programs or not be advised that this is a grueling process and much more intense than pharmacy school ever was. You want to make sure the experience you receive is fulfilling, and that you're being challenged but also supported. If there are red flags, take those into consideration. No program is going to be perfect, but it's about finding the best match for you. What may be the best for 1 person, may not be the best for someone else. Trust in your gut! Good luck :D!

Thanks for the quick responses guys! :)

Now to just wait it out. :D

I just put in my tentative list on ROLIC. I have one more interview Thursday so that may or may not change my list as it stands now.

I have two programs I can't decide which one to rank over the other towards the end of my list. One has more things I like and want in a program but the location is not ideal compared to the other one which has an ideal location and has a lot of things I like but not as much as the other program but still is an awesome program.

DECISIONS!!

I just put in my tentative list on ROLIC. I have one more interview Thursday so that may or may not change my list as it stands now.

I have two programs I can't decide which one to rank over the other towards the end of my list. One has more things I like and want in a program but the location is not ideal compared to the other one which has an ideal location and has a lot of things I like but not as much as the other program but still is an awesome program.

DECISIONS!!

In my opinion you're better off taking ranking the program you like more higher assuming the location although less than ideal is liveable. You'll spend so much time at work that the location won't matter too much in the end.

We don't rank all candidates...last year we ranked about 60% of those we interviewed.

Some people are good on paper, but super weird in person...

We don't rank all candidates...last year we ranked about 60% of those we interviewed.

Some people are good on paper, but super weird in person...

what do you mean by super weird??? psychos??? or just nervous wrecks?

One of my friends has been getting emails like that too. So here's the question for those residents and pharmacists out there, is it a bad sign if we are not getting emails like this??

Now I'm worried because I feel like it makes sense from any program's perspective to say something like that to the people they really like without directly talking about ranking....it's def a good email to get! I would be ecstatic to get an email like that!

One of my friends has been getting emails like that too. So here's the question for those residents and pharmacists out there, is it a bad sign if we are not getting emails like this??

Now I'm worried because I feel like it makes sense from any program's perspective to say something like that to the people they really like without directly talking about ranking....it's def a good email to get! I would be ecstatic to get an email like that!

Yeah me too...worried.

does it mean anything if the RPD said something like "regardless of where you match i'm sure you'll be an asset to any program" I feel like they just say what I want to hear

but i did give a killer presentation, had a number of pharmacist tell me afterwards so i don't know

and i really like the program if not top choice

I think I'm going to focus on my rotation now so waiting for Match Day is bearable.

Go with your gut instinct. If you really think it would be truly horrible, then I wouldn't rank that place. There was one place I didn't rank because I didn't think it lined up well enough with my career goals, but in retrospect I think my career goals were too idealized anyway. Doing that residency probably would have been better for me than doing no residency.

Three of mine were doing this too! It felt awesome, but I was worried about the whole match thing..but they did it very keenly not to violate anything!

Go with your gut instinct. If you really think it would be truly horrible, then I wouldn't rank that place. There was one place I didn't rank because I didn't think it lined up well enough with my career goals, but in retrospect I think my career goals were too idealized anyway. Doing that residency probably would have been better for me than doing no residency.

Thank you for this. I kept thinking about it over and over again yesterday. I'm going to take them off my list. I honestly don't think they would rank me anyways, but you never know.

My gut is telling me to don't do it. Stay as far away as possible. The big issue with the program is just the vibe I got from everyone. The residents seemed miserable, which I can understand from being worked hard. However, other residents I met were excited and I could tell they loved their program (they were fighting for positions and a lot of people were staying on for PGY-2). Here, everyone wanted to leave and fast.

what do you mean by super weird??? psychos??? or just nervous wrecks?

You can't really describe what makes someone weird. They just...are. Or their personality doesn't mesh with your site.

Thank you for this. I kept thinking about it over and over again yesterday. I'm going to take them off my list. I honestly don't think they would rank me anyways, but you never know.

My gut is telling me to don't do it. Stay as far away as possible. The big issue with the program is just the vibe I got from everyone. The residents seemed miserable, which I can understand from being worked hard. However, other residents I met were excited and I could tell they loved their program (they were fighting for positions and a lot of people were staying on for PGY-2). Here, everyone wanted to leave and fast.
Sounds like a pretty good reason not to rank them. Residency does not have to = misery.

I think we're all overthinking the "you should rank us"

I feel like the sites i've applied to have had more than enough applicants, they don't need to tell students to "rank them." They're sure students will "rank them."

I think when a site tells a student to rank them, it says something about the site...

I have no idea where I stand... unable to assess from interview days whether I left a positive impression or not... I have not received any indication, positive or negative, about how programs view me.

I have no idea where I stand... unable to assess from interview days whether I left a positive impression or not... I have not received any indication, positive or negative, about how programs view me.
I completely agree.

Plus i'm a little surprised at the people i'm interviewing with. Some seem way overqualified.

We don't send these type of emails...so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I got "thank you for interviewing, contact us with questions, good luck in the match" emails a few days after the interview from 2 places. I'm pretty sure I'll be ranked at the 3 places interviewed but where on their list is the ??? Either way I submitted/certified my list last night and ranked based on my desired programs not how I thought they might see me.

I got "thank you for interviewing, contact us with questions, good luck in the match" emails a few days after the interview from 2 places. I'm pretty sure I'll be ranked at the 3 places interviewed but where on their list is the ??? Either way I submitted/certified my list last night and ranked based on my desired programs not how I thought they might see me.

Yeah. I ranked 3 places and did it based on the program I liked the most with how I felt about the people, the opportunities, location, etc. It just so happens that the place I liked the most is also the place where I felt I had my best interview.

Yeah. I ranked 3 places and did it based on the program I liked the most with how I felt about the people, the opportunities, location, etc. It just so happens that the place I liked the most is also the place where I felt I had my best interview.
Me too! I think since I felt I'd be really happy there then maybe that's what made that interview the best?

Sent our rankings. Didn't rank one of the candidates, he seemed like he didn't want to do a residency at all. Waste of my time.

Sent our rankings. Didn't rank one of the candidates, he seemed like he didn't want to do a residency at all. Waste of my time.

Yup...finished ours today!

Threw out the ones that were weird, uninterested, communicated poorly, or lied during their interview/on their CV.

Yup...finished ours today!

Threw out the ones that were weird, uninterested, communicated poorly, or lied during their interview/on their CV.

Woah. How did you find this out? That's odd. I hate when people are dishonest.

Woah. How did you find this out? That's odd. I hate when people are dishonest.

We have a large number of preceptors and between all of us we know a lot of people... Can't explain without giving details, but we've become pretty good at spotting an inflated CV. Also, you can figure out some of this by how the candidate responds to a question.