PGY2 - Hospital System Pharmacy Administration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Papichulooo_92

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Multi-part question; feel free to expand on any portion or just your opinion on the topic.

- Is there a job market/need for graduate of a PGY2-HSPA?
- Difference of someone who does a combined program vs un-combined program?
- Clinical skills lost as a PGY2-HSPA resident/graduate?
- Tips on securing a PGY2-HSPA residency?
 
- Is there a job market/need for graduate of a PGY2-HSPA? - there always will - just like everything else - they are more and more competitive
- Difference of someone who does a combined program vs un-combined program? - not a clue
- Clinical skills lost as a PGY2-HSPA resident/graduate? yup - but you aren't taking a this residency to have a clinical based job
- Tips on securing a PGY2-HSPA residency? - same as everything- network and beef up your cv with leadership/management experience
 
1. as above

2. I did a separate PGY1 at another hospital and now doing a PGY2 for another health system (or more accurately I'm still within the same health system but at a different "sister" hospital) - difference would be that you would be more comfortable and familiar with the hospital had you already gone through that first year there - I would say it helps from that sense when I speak with my other HSPA PGY-2 brethren about this.

3. My PGY-2 has a required IM rotation and you can have another elective to be something clinical too. In addition my staffing weekends include the Friday so I can have more patient contact time. It is definitely much less than my PGY1 but electives aside and all the other fluff that happens during PGY-1 I wouldn't say its much less in my case. Then again that's only pertinent to my experience. Your going through HSPA because your ultimate career goal will most likely not have a focus in patient care. That being said I have a handful of friends who went through a PGY-2 in HSPA and then worked as a clinical staff pharmacist after for a year or two to brush up on clinical stuff before heading into the real deal admin-y jobs.

4. As above - also showing an interest in what HSPA is and being able to have a tangible career goal helps (manager, director, coordinator) etc.