Rolling Admission MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regularbobj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which MSTP programs have rolling admissions this cycle?

I did a search and this is what I have come up with, but please edit/change/add other schools:

Rolling

Emory
University of Washington
Mount Sinai
Rochester
WashU
Iowa
Pittsburgh
UTSW
U of Chicago
Michigan
Northwestern

Non-Rolling

Cornell
Columbia
Yale
Harvard
Duke
UCSF
UCSD
Penn

And how about these schools: JHU, Stanford, UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

I have a follow-up question: what exactly is the difference between rolling and non-rolling in terms of the process of reviewing applications? Does it just mean that in the rolling admissions it's first come first serve with the assumption that the first few applications have a higher chance of obtaining interviews and therefore a higher chance of matriculating?

In a rolling admissions program it would be advantageous to be interviewed earlier, and in a non-rolling program it would make no difference when you were interviewed.
Does that answer your question?
I don't really know of any program that is truly, fully non-rolling. Most programs that are non-rolling still extend interviews on a rolling basis. Since the interview is usually the biggest cut-off point, this minimizes the advantages of applying late to a nonrolling program.
A truly nonrolling program would wait until all applications were received to offer interviews, then make offers after all interviews were performed. But I don't know of anyone who does that. So assuming that interview spots are limiting, there is still an advantage in applying to nonrolling programs in applying earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with miz: all programs have rolling admissions "behind the scenes", if only on a psychological basis. At the end of the season several of the spots are already spoken for by people they liked early on, even if no one has been notified. That said, JHU used to have rolling notifications, but waited until later in the season to tell you if you would get funding. Not sure if they still do that.

1. JHU still does that to my best knowledge.
2. I should have mentioned above, I don't mean to stress anyone out. I didn't submit most of my secondaries until September and was completely ok. That said, if you can finish your secondaries earlier, then you should go for it.

You should probably submit them at the earliest time that you can ensure that you've produced something of quality (eg: something you've proofed, which makes sense to a 3rd party). Try not to stress over say, a day or two delay if it's going to improve the final product.