Room mate problems, offer advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slowpoke

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's room mate can be a real pain in the ass.

She is a bit older (late 20s) and has a laundry list of problems. Because my girlfriend is a very sweet girl (I guess this sounds kinda biased but trust me, I guess) and tries to avoid confrontations as she almost bends over backwards for this crazy nazi.

Sometimes when her roommate comes home drunk with her (also scumbag boyfriend) they get hungry. Fair enough right? But they usually eat her food and it's getting to the point where the lunch she packs for herself the next day is being eaten. The excuse they use is "we were drunk" (or they just deny it altogether) and I find that incredibly pathetic.

Again, because my girlfriend tries to avoid confrontations she has purchased more items at the grocery store in anticipation of not having enough food, and that makes me very sad.

I have tried my best to not intercede but I can't see myself sitting on the side lines anymore. I told my girlfriend to quit being a push over and talk to them and she has, somewhat.

It's clear that the room mate has a drinking problem and often takes her meds (a mixture of antidepressants and such) with alcohol.

Just unsure of what to do, really. Is there anything I'm suppose to do as a boyfriend? This has been my first serious relationship and I don't want to go fighting battles that aren't mine but I don't mind helping.

/rant

Members don't see this ad.

Let your girlfriend deal with her own issues. Since this is your first serious relationship, you're likely going to try and become one unit with your woman. Don't do this. You're two separate people with two separate lives. This isn't the kind of crap you should be involved with.

I think you could mention your concern for her in this situation, but don't get too involved with it. I agree with Cole for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put your food in the fridge. If they eat your food then it becomes your problem then you can rip into him.

yeah I mean just tell your girlfriend that she needs to openly voice her concerns to her roommate. By getting involved yourself, you create unwanted tension in the dorm or the apartment or whatever.

These problems can only be solved by them being open with each other, and if they find they can't settle their differences then try to help her move out or do whatever she feels comfortable doing.

That sounds rough. You can definitely encourage her to have a sit down talk with the roomie, but ultimately it's up to your girlfriend to deal with it...it's part of growing up, learning to handle disputes and face yucky situations, even if she has to lock her food up. Nobody likes confrontation. If it gets serious enough they should talk about one of them finding somewhere else to live and getting a subleaser. Some people just can't live together.

Laxatives in the food... they will never do it again. Trust.

just turn into this guy for a day
images

Members don't see this ad :)
Put your food in the fridge. If they eat your food then it becomes your problem then you can rip into him.

Laxatives in the food... they will never do it again. Trust.

These!

Ever watched "Ultimate Fighter?" These guys have the same issues, until they all pee in a fruit tray so when the vultures swoop in to eat the food and have their fill, the guys reveal that they all peed in the dish. It was classic. No more eating other peoples food.

Your girl needs to man up, and you need to pretend you're listening to her problems. You have told her to stand up for herself and that's the best you can do. Ultimately, your gf lives with this girl and if you get involved, she's going to be the one to suffer, then, by proxy, you will suffer.

hahaha, I have actually pondered pretty much all of those (laxatives, locking up). I also thought maybe I could get her a mini fridge for christmas, or a set of figurative balls at spencer's or one of those erotic stores.

Thanks for some of the advice though, I knew that this wasn't my battle to fight but just wanted to hear it from somebody else.

To be honest, I can barely stand it in her apartment now as looking at both douchebags makes me want to drop kick the boyfriend and pimpslap the hoe.

Guess I will just go back to playing COD. hehe.

edit: found the pee'ing scene you were talking about moose, I watched the first few seasons of TUF but have since stopped.
http://www.ultimatefighter.com/videos/tuf-8-you-guys-want-to-eat-my-fruit-tray

editedit: holy $#@@, one of the clips has them putting semen into sushi rolls. HAHAAHAHA

Last edited:
If you spike the food, which would feel really damn good, make sure you spike it with something that can't cause harm. If some drunks come back, probably already reasonably dehydrated, eat laxatives, dehydrate to the point of detriment, you might be held liable (not a lawyer). Know of someone who went to prison for spiking a boss' drink with phenolphthalein. On a construction site, couldn't adequately hydrate, had to be rushed to hospital, etc. etc.

These!

Ever watched "Ultimate Fighter?" These guys have the same issues, until they all pee in a fruit tray so when the vultures swoop in to eat the food and have their fill, the guys reveal that they all peed in the dish. It was classic. No more eating other peoples food.

Your girl needs to man up, and you need to pretend you're listening to her problems. You have told her to stand up for herself and that's the best you can do. Ultimately, your gf lives with this girl and if you get involved, she's going to be the one to suffer, then, by proxy, you will suffer.

Unfortunately only about 3% of the population know what you are talking about. :thumbup:

LOL, that's just wrong! But those guys are foine--I think I've found my winter break show to watch ;)

While spiking their food is tempting I'm sure, don't do it. You never know if someone has a food allergy, and it just ain't worth the trouble.

I don't know if your girlfriend is stuck in a lease or not, but when I have been in month to month situations and things like this arise I simply tell them to stop doing it or find another roommate.

You probably shouldn't get involved directly, but you can certainly urge your girlfriend to stand up for herself.

Ultimate fighter is lame

I've never heard of it before. What's it about? (From those clips, it seems kind of like frat boys meet reality TV.) I'm so used to Real Housewives, Bad Girl's Club, and other such "reality" shows; I wouldn't mind exploring something different. Hahahaaa.

I've never heard of it before. What's it about? (From those clips, it seems kind of like frat boys meet reality TV.) I'm so used to Real Housewives, Bad Girl's Club, and other such "reality" shows; I wouldn't mind exploring something different. Hahahaaa.

They bring in 2 UFC contract fighters(pro fighters) and each pick a team and weed everyone out through fights until they find the 'ultimate fighter'. It used to be pretty good, but now everyone thinks they're an MMA fighter and walks around wearing assliciton t-shirts, its pretty sad. Its a good show though, I still watch on sometimes. A lot of good fighter have come from it. Don't get me started on real housewives, all the ones from my city are broke, divorced/getting divorced or have x rated pics of themselves on the internet.

They bring in 2 UFC contract fighters(pro fighters) and each pick a team and weed everyone out through fights until they find the 'ultimate fighter'. It used to be pretty good, but now everyone thinks they're an MMA fighter and walks around wearing assliciton t-shirts, its pretty sad. Its a good show though, I still watch on sometimes. A lot of good fighter have come from it. Don't get me started on real housewives, all the ones from my city are broke, divorced/getting divorced or have x rated pics of themselves on the internet.

Sounds like a pretty entertaining show. I don't know anything about ultimate fighting, but the premise seems simple enough.

And that's exactly what I live for in a "real housewife" :rolleyes: Still, you gotta love it--it's good TV. Hahahaaa (but I can understand how you feel, especially if you're from said town :oops: )

Sounds like a pretty entertaining show. I don't know anything about ultimate fighting, but the premise seems simple enough.

And that's exactly what I live for in a "real housewife" :rolleyes: Still, you gotta love it--it's good TV. Hahahaaa (but I can understand how you feel, especially if you're from said town :oops: )

I'll take both over that stupid show 16 and pregnant haha

Lol, yea, I hate 16 and preggers too. Especially since, often times, the baby daddies don't do jack! I just wish they showed some legit men who stepped up and took care of their responsibilities! And don't get me started on the naive girls...

But Bad Girl's Club is where it's at. Season four had a girl that contaminated one girl's food. She (Annie) tried to make Malibu Barbie (Kate) fat by spiking her food (ex. egg whites) with butter, sugar, etc. While I thought she was spineless for not confronting her to her face, it was still a low-blow. Another girl put itching powder in Malibu Barbie's bed--she didn't even do anything about it! That surely wouldn't have been me, but I digress.

<3 how far off topic the conversation got though :p

I know most people don't know much about "ultimate fighting" but consider this your first lesson. The UFC is a brand like NFL. You don't usually say "Hey mom, I'm going outside to play NFL" or I'm trying out for the NFL team. Its just the same with MMA vs UFC. The real term for the sport is MMA or Mixed Martial Arts. There are many organizations out there like UFC, EliteXC, and KOTC who host MMA bouts.

And the other guy...you start out saying Ultimate fighter is lame (not disputing this), but then follow up with its a good show? I thought it was a good concept at first, but now its on its like 12th season of the same stuff so its hard to keep up with it any longer.

Lol, yea, I hate 16 and preggers too. Especially since, often times, the baby daddies don't do jack! I just wish they showed some legit men who stepped up and took care of their responsibilities! And don't get me started on the naive girls...

But Bad Girl's Club is where it's at. Season four had a girl that contaminated one girl's food. She (Annie) tried to make Malibu Barbie (Kate) fat by spiking her food (ex. egg whites) with butter, sugar, etc. While I thought she was spineless for not confronting her to her face, it was still a low-blow. Another girl put itching powder in Malibu Barbie's bed--she didn't even do anything about it! That surely wouldn't have been me, but I digress.

<3 how far off topic the conversation got though :p

the 16 year old boyfriends aren't legit men, that's the problem.

dont be a fool, wrap your tool

This is one of the many reasons I will not have a roommate during medical school.

My last roommates dog would leave steamers behind the door, because he didn't take him out enough, so when I would come home... Thump! Then the streak on the floor... His dog also peed when he got excited, but would jump up on people, ultimately, resulting in them getting sprayed. The sprayed included our cable man, a couple of my buddies, and last, but not least, a date that came over to meet me before we were going to a baseball game...

Oh, he also had the dish problem...