the medicineman

7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
What's the general consensus on rooming with another medical student vs. non medical students?

Is it stressful being around med school stuff all the time since you live with another med student?

Would it be better to live with friends who arent in med school?

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think a lot of people here room with another medical student if they get a roommate... however since my school isn't in a big city the majority of us got our own apartments. I have a 2bd 1.5 bath that is just for me and love it. I can be social and hang with friends when I want but I can also study with the TV on in the living room without bothering a roommate.

Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Just guessing but..

***You walk into your apt and your roomate is drinking a bud light, watching the game and ordering pizza. He's kicked up his feet after a "seriously stressfull day at work." You are not even close to done. You have Anatomy and Micro to catch up on and it's already 8pm.. Go with a med student. Everyone else ( never listen to a man who uses sweeping statements) just wont get it. Not including significant others, family, and worse, your mom.

MDtobe31311

Class of 2014!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Just guessing but..

***You walk into your apt and your roomate is drinking a bud light, watching the game and ordering pizza. He's kicked up his feet after a "seriously stressfull day at work." You are not even close to done. You have Anatomy and Micro to catch up on and it's already 8pm.. Go with a med student. Everyone else ( never listen to a man who uses sweeping statements) just wont get it. Not including significant others, family, and worse, your mom.
:thumbup:

BlitzSleep

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
D-Town
Status
Pre-Medical
You could always consider a studio apartment. Those things are big enough to put all your books, clothes, food, desk, chair, and bed :)

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'll be living with another professional school student next year. She's not a med student but at least she'll understand why I'm in a bitchy mood sometimes (hopefully).

silverhorse84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I live with a roommate because I really really don't like living alone.

That said, if you live with a roommate I highly suggest picking someone who is similar to you. We're both about the same combination of neat/messy so we don't get on each others nerves. We're generally both quiet, don't drink to get drunk, and don't feel the need to hold parties at our apt. It's not so much about the actual preferences, just make sure you're on the same page about the ones that matter - I would hate to be with a really loud roommate who holds parties when I just want to study in a quiet environment.

Also, since I'm a bit of a "tom boy" and far from the "stereotypical girl" I stopped living with other girls - it just leads to drama for me.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
hm, are there single person dorms in med school?
Most med schools don't have dorms. But NYU does have single person rooms. I'm sure there are a few other schools that also have single person dorms. For the rest, you're pretty much stuck with finding an apartment in the city/town. Or, if you go to school where there's a large undergrad, you could probably live in their dorms, but you'd be surrounded by undergrads...

osteohopeful09

7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
most med schools require kids to get apartment housing, unless you're married, then some have limited number of dorms available.

Anyway, if you do room with someone, make sure the apartment is TWO BEDROOMS, so you can have some solitude when necessary.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I think a lot of people here room with another medical student if they get a roommate... however since my school isn't in a big city the majority of us got our own apartments. I have a 2bd 1.5 bath that is just for me and love it. I can be social and hang with friends when I want but I can also study with the TV on in the living room without bothering a roommate.
You live alone in a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment? That's pretty awesome. I'm getting a 1-bedroom apartment for myself only, no roommate. I've lived with roommates in college, and I've had enough of that experience.

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm living alone. I love my current roommate but I have bad experiences with roommates in general so I'm not about to go to second look day and pick a random person to live with. I'll have enough stress to deal with next year.

I'm willing to increase my ramen: actual food ratio to save money so i can live alone. I can't wait!

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm living alone. I love my current roommate but I have bad experiences with roommates in general so I'm not about to go to second look day and pick a random person to live with. I'll have enough stress to deal with next year.

I'm willing to increase my ramen: actual food ratio to save money so i can live alone. I can't wait!
:laugh: That's pretty hardcore!

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status

yea dude i know what u mean. i lived a year in my college dormatory, it was a mess. my roommate would blast his music late at night, have tv on real loud even when i am tryin to sleep. my suite mates were annoying, left stuff around that got rotten and never took out the garbage. oh and one of them felt the need to insult every one for fun.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status
Resident [Any Field]
it's nice to get away from medical students every once in a while. the downside to having a non-medical student roommate is that they might not understand your needs for study/quiet time. if someone isn't going through what you're going through, they might not understand that you really can't party tonight, or how really distracting it would be to have a couple friends over or to have the TV on.

Feb 1, 2010
Ohio
Status
Pre-Medical
It's not as important to consider med student vs. non-med student as it is to consider personalities. I know two med students (they were actually dating) who ended up being seriously miserable bc of differing study habits. She had a photographic memory and he was always locked in his room studying...it was disasterous and ended up costing them their relationship. So you aren't necessarily better off with a med student. Just find someone low-key, not a partier, and you'll be fine. Best of luck :)

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
:laugh: That's pretty hardcore!
not when you consider my history of roommates:

freshmen year: crazy party skank whose friends regularly spent the night during the week to make sure she was still breathing:rolleyes:

sophomore year: roomed with a girl from high school who I thought would be a good roomie because were were both studious. She went psycho save-the-planet and would turn off lights if i left the room for a second, preached about how i should be vegetarian, etc. Hated when I had the TV on and would be passive aggressive about it. Allowed her crazy Eco-friends to get on my laptop and change my settings so that my computer went to sleep faster to save energy and didn't tell me (I figured it out when my computer was going to sleep after 60seconds of inactivity!)

junior year: roomed with the same eco-crazy girl because we had already signed a lease before she went crazy on me. She got super passive agressive and would let trash pile up if she thought it was "my turn" to do something, but wouldn't just ask me to do it. She would do things like put away only the dishes she used, so if there were two spoons to be put away and one was mine, she would put her spoon away but not mine... it was just childish.

my current roommate is amazing and I love her, but the chances of finding another are slim. I'm well aware that i'm not the easiest person to live with but I also know I'm not especially demanding either.

So yea, pass the ramen!

morning

butane in my veins
Feb 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I can't imagine having a roommate in medical school. There are only 2 classes of people I am willing to live with on a daily basis: siblings and boyfriends/husbands. If I get into medical school on time I'll be 27 when I start and 31 when I finish, so...shoot me if I still have a roommate, please :D

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I can't imagine having a roommate in medical school. There are only 2 classes of people I am willing to live with on a daily basis: siblings and boyfriends/husbands. If I get into medical school on time I'll be 27 when I start and 31 when I finish, so...shoot me if I still have a roommate, please :D
I tried that as well, and it's no fun either, trust me. You get on each other's nerves real quick.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
One thing I hate about living with people is that I have to clean up for them sometimes.

UnfeatyOblation

7+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2009
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
Man, I would never want to live alone. That'd be so lonely. It's good to have someone around you can chat with/annoy.

Jun 8, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Man, I would never want to live alone. That'd be so lonely. It's good to have someone around you can chat with/annoy.
this. well hopefully not the annoy part :)

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status

i want u to keep in mind, u can always get a double cheese burger from BK for 1 buck, its almst 500 calories, its a small portion lunch lol.

also 5 dollars for a foot long sub at subway, also keep that in mind lol.

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
also 5 dollars for a foot long sub at subway, also keep that in mind lol.
that'd be 2 meals for me. I love subway. haha

for the people who say they'd be lonely, that's why you call up friends, have people over, etc. But whenever you want to you can have quiet time (or naked time! haha)
It's like babysitting. You can enjoy hanging out with the kid or w/e but at the end of the day you get to give it back to it's parents and you don't have to deal with the diapers, crying, etc.:smuggrin:

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
that'd be 2 meals for me. I love subway. haha

for the people who say they'd be lonely, that's why you call up friends, have people over, etc. But whenever you want to you can have quiet time (or naked time! haha)
It's like babysitting. You can enjoy hanging out with the kid or w/e but at the end of the day you get to give it back to it's parents and you don't have to deal with the diapers, crying, etc.:smuggrin:
one thing i love the US is that you don't have to pay alot to satisfy your belly. i am chinese:). but thats prob also why this is the fattest nation around rofl.

i perfer to have people over for a short period of time, like hang out temporarily. can't stand any single person for too long. unless you are my parents who are willing to pay for me or a really hot chick :), thats about it.

Jun 30, 2009
small town, America
Status
Pre-Medical

THIS!!!

I would hate to not have someone to small talk with. When i have friends over i feel like i have to be a good host and not ignore them. But with a roomate you can have a five minute conversation and then dissappear into your room for the rest of the night.

well and i also worry that if i get killed in the middle of the night. It could take up to a day before anyone would find my body if i didn't have a roomie.

and to answer the OP i think i would prefer a med student.

Wolfman89

2 Legit 2 Quit
Dec 29, 2009
Albuquerque
Status
Pre-Medical
I live in the dorms right and don't have a roomie. It is not bad actually. But if I had an apartment I would want a rommie. And I would want either a med student or a professional student of some sort.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a roommate that tried to overcharge me on the waterbill and when I refused to pay that much he shut off the water on me and I lived the entire summer without running water in my house.

I will never, ever have a roommate again if I can help it.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
THIS!!!

I would hate to not have someone to small talk with. When i have friends over i feel like i have to be a good host and not ignore them. But with a roomate you can have a five minute conversation and then dissappear into your room for the rest of the night.

well and i also worry that if i get killed in the middle of the night. It could take up to a day before anyone would find my body if i didn't have a roomie.

and to answer the OP i think i would prefer a med student.
:laugh: So random.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's the general consensus on rooming with another medical student vs. non medical students?

Is it stressful being around med school stuff all the time since you live with another med student?

Would it be better to live with friends who arent in med school?

I have lived with three other male med students during my second and third years of med school. We are all friends, enjoy each other's company and it has worked out great. We work hard during the week, and often have some fun together on Friday or Saturday nights.

We got to know each other well during our first year, as we all lived in the med school dorm. So we knew that we would be compatible if we shared an apartment together. Everyone has their own bedroom - that is essential, to have your own private personal space.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
not when you consider my history of roommates:

freshmen year: crazy party skank whose friends regularly spent the night during the week to make sure she was still breathing:rolleyes:

sophomore year: roomed with a girl from high school who I thought would be a good roomie because were were both studious. She went psycho save-the-planet and would turn off lights if i left the room for a second, preached about how i should be vegetarian, etc. Hated when I had the TV on and would be passive aggressive about it. Allowed her crazy Eco-friends to get on my laptop and change my settings so that my computer went to sleep faster to save energy and didn't tell me (I figured it out when my computer was going to sleep after 60seconds of inactivity!)

junior year: roomed with the same eco-crazy girl because we had already signed a lease before she went crazy on me. She got super passive agressive and would let trash pile up if she thought it was "my turn" to do something, but wouldn't just ask me to do it. She would do things like put away only the dishes she used, so if there were two spoons to be put away and one was mine, she would put her spoon away but not mine... it was just childish.

my current roommate is amazing and I love her, but the chances of finding another are slim. I'm well aware that i'm not the easiest person to live with but I also know I'm not especially demanding either.

So yea, pass the ramen!
:laugh: at your 2nd/3rd year roommate. At least Ramen comes in different flavors, right? :smuggrin:

Dec 18, 2009
under the sun :)
Status
Medical Student
I want a roommate, or at least a neighbor that I can chill with because I do get lonely. I live with two other girls right now (one of them being my sister) but neither has anything to do with the sciences or the medical field so sometimes I just barely see them at the end of the night and I realize that I haven't talked to people at all for more than a couple of minutes that day. So yeah, I want someone I can talk to.

So upside of roommates: company, shopping buddies, saving money, and free clothes (if you live with my sister at least)

Cons: Clean up after them sometimes. If someone neglects to take out the trash for like a week it starts stinking up the place. :(

I would want my own room though for sure.