• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Aug 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
What's the difference between the velocity described in the equation KE=1/2mv^2=3/2*Kb*T and the root mean squared velocity Urms=sqrt(3RT/M)?

Can you use both to find the most like velocity of a given gas particle?

I thought about this while working on Kaplan FL #5, it was in the Chem/Phys section, question #44.

Thanks!!

basophilic

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2015
KE=1/2mv^2 refers to a single particle - so this will give a specific velocity of a single particle

KE = 1/2mv(rms)^2 is average velocity of a population of particles - this is used in conjunction with equipartition theorem (which pretty much says that the avg. kinetic energy of all particles in a population is approximately equal in all translational directions - 1/2Kb*T in one direction, so 3 times that for all 3 dimensions); i.e. 1/2mv(rms)^2=3/2*Kb*T

When you solve this equality you'll get the "Urms" eqn you posted above. Doing this requires a fundamental phys chem relationship: R = N*Kb; here N is Avogadro's number (i.e. number of particles per mole).
Derivation:
1/2mv(rms)^2=3/2*Kb*T --> v(rms)^2 = 3KbT/m
Hence, Kb = R/N --> v(rms)^2 = 3(R/N)T/m = 3RT/Nm
m = mass of single particle; hence Nm = mass of a mole of particles --> i.e. molecular mass (which you designated as 'M')
Hence: v(rms) = sqrt(3RT/Nm) = sqrt(3RT/M)

In short, v is velocity of a particle; v(rms) is average velocity in a population of particles.

The "most like" velocity you refer to is I'm guessing the most probably velocity which is DIFFERENT from the v and v(rms). This is found by calculating the maximum of the Boltzmann distribution; in a standard Gaussian bell curve, you'd expect average and most probable to be identical b/c a Gaussian curve is symmetric; because Boltzmann distribution is asymmetric, they are not the same - v(rms) always greater than v(probable)

Reactions: Get it done
Aug 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the derivation! I meant most likely.. I'm referring to this question below, where in the solutions they mention 1/2mv^2=3/2*Kb*T. To do this did they assume the 'most likely velocity' would be equal to v(rms)? I don't understand how they equated those two if they were just referring to a single gas particle. If they were in fact referring to a population of gas particles, then I should have gotten the correct answer by using v(rms)=sqrt(RT/M)...right?

(The relevant passage excerpt is below the question)..thanks!!!

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 3.52.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 3.53.28 PM.png

Reactions: Get it done
About the Ads