Roots are real unequal, and irrational?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramin123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone understand #54 destroyer (MATH). What does it mean when it says roots are real unequal, and irrational?

Members don't see this ad.

This question is addressing the discrimianant (The number in the square root of quadratic formulas). Real roots are when the discrimanent isn't imaginary. This means that you can't have a negative under the radical. Unequal means that the discrimanent can't equal zero b/c + or -0 will get you roots that are equal. Irrational means that it is a fraction. This means the discriminant cannot be a perfect square.

If it is not negative or zero-- you are let with either 4 or 7-- how would you determine the answer. I think I still do not understand it very well.

Irrational numbers are not 'fractions'. A rational number is a number that can be written as p/q, where p and q are both integers. An irrational number is any other real number besides those. Examples include pi, e, and any non-perfect square root.

An "irrational number" means that the number never ends and there is never a repeating pattern of numbers. For example 1/9=.111111 and it never ends, however there is a repeating pattern of 1 therefore it is rational. Square roots of non perfect squares are always irrational i.e. radical 2.