Rosalind Franklin Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedfromFL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start this for those of you who will be matriculating this coming August. Congratulations to all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

RFU is one of the schools I plan on applying too as it is in the Chicago area. Can you comment on the curriculum at RFU. Is it systems based, PBL, traditional lecture? Also, is it true that RFU's grading is letter based and not P/F or some version of P/F?

RFU does have grades instead of pass fail. There are some people that stress because they've never gotten a B in their life, and now they are, but I suspect they would have been upset at getting a "pass" instead of a "high pass". I have to be honest, I think the whole worry about grades vs. pass/fail is something applicants work themselves in a frenzy about. Is there really a difference between low pass, pass and high pass and C, B, A? In the end, you have a class rank, and either way, you should be trying as hard as you can because you want to be the best doctor you can be. I know I worried about things like that when I was applying, but I don't think that's really a big deal, and certainly not the most important factor in choosing a medical school. On a personal note, I thought I would prefer PBL, and almost went to a school that had it, but looking back, I think I like the normal way better, it's much more flexible for any learning style.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i will be applying to live in the "dorms", but something tells me that i won't get a spot. would anyone be interested in living with me in a two-bedroom apartment that isn't the woodlands? im male, laid-back, and a light smoker when exams roll around (but never inside).

Hey everyone! I noticed this board has been pretty quiet and just wanted to liven it up a bit. I am super excited to be attending RFU - I loved it when I visited for my interview and can't wait to move in August! Where is everyone from - I'm from Oregon and at this point I am planning on living in on campus housing :)

Hey everyone! I noticed this board has been pretty quiet and just wanted to liven it up a bit. I am super excited to be attending RFU - I loved it when I visited for my interview and can't wait to move in August! Where is everyone from - I'm from Oregon and at this point I am planning on living in on campus housing :)

hey AJ. it's good to see you on here and that you're excited to be at RFU. i look forward to meeting you in august. i'm from chicago, but the commute from home would be too much to make every day, so i'll also be living in the "dorms" as well. i'm sure we'll be seeing each other alot - and who knows, we might even be roommates...

My guess is we'll see each other alot but won't be roomies - unless they have coed room assignments! haha! its cool you're from Chicago, you'll know all the fun places to go! How about everyone else - where are you from, excited about etc?

My guess is we'll see each other alot but won't be roomies - unless they have coed room assignments! haha! its cool you're from Chicago, you'll know all the fun places to go! How about everyone else - where are you from, excited about etc?

yeah, maybe not roommates...i just assumed you were a guy because of the name. and yeah, being from chicago, i know about some stuff up in that neighborhood. plus, everyone's gonna get to meet my parents :D

Congrats on everybody's acceptances! I can't wait until August to meet you ppl!

Hi Jon,

I have a few questions about CMS....

1) how much clinical exposure do we get in first year? there's a course called essentials of clinical reasoning, and i was wondering if that's where we get most of our clinical exposure in first year, or are there other things?

2) is it possible to do observerships in first year?

3) what do CMS students generally do in the summer? research, observerships, etc?

4) does the A/B/C/D grading system detriment CMS students in any way?

5) how's the social scene at CMS? is there strong class unity?

thanks!

I'll let one of the M1's answer your other questions since things may have changed over the last few years, but in regards to the A/B/C/F (no D's) grading system, in reality, it is no different than honors, high pass, pass, and fail... just labeled differently. There are also schools that have only pass/fail. While this may seem like a great idea when you are entering med school, the P/F system ends up hurting you when you apply to residencies unless you go to one of the absolute top-ranked med schools around that still have a p/f system (Harvard, Stanford...etc.). I remember stressing over the grading system when I started as an M1, but when applying for residencies this past year, I was so thankful that CMS does not have a P/F system. Congratulations on getting into med school, and good luck to you in your career!

I'll let one of the M1's answer your other questions since things may have changed over the last few years, but in regards to the A/B/C/F (no D's) grading system, in reality, it is no different than honors, high pass, pass, and fail... just labeled differently. There are also schools that have only pass/fail. While this may seem like a great idea when you are entering med school, the P/F system ends up hurting you when you apply to residencies unless you go to one of the absolute top-ranked med schools around that still have a p/f system (Harvard, Stanford...etc.). I remember stressing over the grading system when I started as an M1, but when applying for residencies this past year, I was so thankful that CMS does not have a P/F system. Congratulations on getting into med school, and good luck to you in your career!

Thanks for your response Streetfighter!

I was wondering why does the P/F system end up hurting you when you apply to residencies?

Congrats on everybody's acceptances! I can't wait until August to meet you ppl!

Hi Jon,

I have a few questions about CMS....

1) how much clinical exposure do we get in first year? there's a course called essentials of clinical reasoning, and i was wondering if that's where we get most of our clinical exposure in first year, or are there other things?

3) what do CMS students generally do in the summer? research, observerships, etc?

thanks!

when i was there for the my interview day, i remember the tour-guide telling us about how CMS students are big on doing "medical mission" trips in the summer between M1 and M2. there's also an article on the CMS website regarding this: http://66.99.255.20/DNN/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=cMScdUkopww=&tabid=2540

i am planning on doing one of these myself, and it even sounds like you get some clinical experience from it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response Streetfighter!

I was wondering why does the P/F system end up hurting you when you apply to residencies?

Kalia, a lot of whether it hurts you or not depends on whether you end up applying for a competitive specialty or not. If you end up deciding to do something along the lines of primary care, then it really would not matter. However, if you decide to do a competitive specialty, then where you stand in the class really matters. If you are at a top ranked medical school, it does not matter as much if all the students are viewed equally because basically every student that was able to get in at one of those places is already considered to be a competitive applicant. However, if you are not at one of those places, then your only chance of getting into a competitive specialty is to be one of the higher ranking students at your medical school, and without grades or the Honors/HP/P system, there would be no way to figure out whether you are or not. On the radiology boards (on auntminnie.com), many of the students who were at P/F schools that were not top 10 type schools posed this question to a residency director, and he said that unfortunately since there is no way to distinguish those students, residency directors are less likely to take a chance on them and they are at a disadvantage.

Anyone thinking about their housing situation for next fall? If on campus housing falls through for me, I would really like to get a roommate for an off campus apartment.

I am a male non smoker but wouldn't mind a mind a casual smoker. On a 1-5 scale of how messy I am, 5 being the messiest possible, I'm a 3 but keep most of my dishevelment confined to my room. Also I am very laid back about living situations so some one also very carefree would be optimal.

Anyone interested?

Last edited:
i will be applying to live in the "dorms", but something tells me that i won't get a spot. would anyone be interested in living with me in a two-bedroom apartment that isn't the woodlands? im male, laid-back, and a light smoker when exams roll around (but never inside).
I might be interested.
I am a male non smoker but wouldn't mind a mind a casual smoker. On a 1-5 scale of how messy I am, 5 being the messiest possible, I'm a 3 but keep most of my dishevelment confined to my room. Also I am very laid back about living situations so some one also very carefree would be optimal.

I might be interested.

thanks for the response, but actually i got a spot for on-campus housing. im just gonna go with that because i dont want to have to worry about apartment-hunting, dealing with bad management, or digging my car out of the snow in the morning just to get to class.

Pretty much all of your clinical exposure will come via ECR. Some of the stuff in that class is great, other stuff not so much.

Absolutely. You get 1 week off between the trimesters, so those are great times to shadow (or relax!). It's really up to you, although shadowing does help you stay motivated at times.

It's a mixed bag. Many of us are doing research. I know alot of my friends are going abroad with IHIG (International Health Interest Group). Some just chill and have fun. Again, it's up to you.

Not really (no D by the way). Even the Honors, High Pass, and Pass system is based on the same system. For the most part people aren't too intense though and the competition is low between students (though there are some that appear to think otherwise).

Social scene is good. I'm engaged and my fiancee attends another nearby medical school, so I don't go out much on the weekends, but I know alot of people do. And once you get here and make friends with everyone, there will always be options open for you.

thanks jon2727, streetfighter and chief illiniwek! i'll post more questions here when i think of them. :thumbup:

Hello everyone! I'm a Canadian applicant and I'm VERY interested in RFUMS, so here are a few questions:

1. Any form of financial aid for canadians? Are we eligible for private scholarships?

2. i've read on other threads that CMS receieved like 10,000 applicants this cycle. If so, why such high numbers? will this drive up the GPA average of admitted students?

3. I've also read somewhere that the GPA for admitted students published on the website is misleading for some reason. Apparently, most ppl have an average of 3.6-3.7.

4. I'm considering applying for early decision to CMS. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.49 (from U of T) and MCAT of 37Q. I've done a bit of research, teaching, and quite a bit of community volunteering. Should I do EDP?

Does anyone, or would anyone, like to share some pictures of what the on campus housing looks like? I neglected to go on that portion of the tour when I interviewed there...

Does anyone, or would anyone, like to share some pictures of what the on campus housing looks like? I neglected to go on that portion of the tour when I interviewed there...

I think there are some pictures online of the housing. I don't have any personal pictures, but I think they are very nice and I will probably be moving to on-campus housing next year because of it.

Hello everyone! I'm a Canadian applicant and I'm VERY interested in RFUMS, so here are a few questions:

1. Any form of financial aid for canadians? Are we eligible for private scholarships?

RFU only gives out (I think) 1-2 scholarships per year. I wouldn't count on getting any private scholarships.

2. i've read on other threads that CMS receieved like 10,000 applicants this cycle. If so, why such high numbers? will this drive up the GPA average of admitted students?

The average GPA remains around 3.6-3.7 for RFU. I believe we had an average of appr. 30 for the MCAT of accepted students this past year. Many people apply to RFU because they think it is a "back-up", but as many people find, it isn't necessarily a "back-up" school. It is tough to get interviews at any medical school, and RFU is no different.

3. I've also read somewhere that the GPA for admitted students published on the website is misleading for some reason. Apparently, most ppl have an average of 3.6-3.7.

See above.

4. I'm considering applying for early decision to CMS. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.49 (from U of T) and MCAT of 37Q. I've done a bit of research, teaching, and quite a bit of community volunteering. Should I do EDP?

You could certainly try the EDP at RFU. I'm not sure of the competiveness of it, but your MCAT is certainly above average. Your GPA is not going to help your cause though. But I'm not one to criticize anyone about their decisions, I say go for it.

this was part of the tour? i dont remember that.

either way, the dorms are very nice from what i hear. they are less than five years old and are really big. you can check out the floor-plans and other info on their housing website:

http://66.99.255.20/dnn/administrat...g/ProspectiveResidents/tabid/612/Default.aspx

the thing that really surprised me is that they are not furnished, but i guess i have to buy my own furniture at some point in my life. and just like jon, ill be living there next year. :thumbup:

If anyone is looking into other housing options besides the dorms or the Woodlands Apts - here's a link to a townhome in the complex where my wife and I live (we're both M1s).

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/apa/1115161229.html

I think there's 2 units in the complex open right now. It's about a 5 min drive from school. I think these units are nicer than most of the local apts. The hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances are nice.

On the small chance that any of you have a school aged child - this would be the place to get since it's in the Lake Bluff School district which is vastly better than North Chicago schools or Waukegan Schools.

this was part of the tour? i dont remember that.

Yea, I think it varied by whoever your student tour guide was. Ours lived on campus, so she offered to take us up. At that point of the day, I was exhausted and wanted to get out of my suit and sleep.

I perused said website, but could only find floor plans. I got accepted for a single, so unless I find something magical before April 24th, I guess I'm going to live there. Does anyone know if this contract deadline can be pushed back a little, say around May 15th?

Yea, I think it varied by whoever your student tour guide was. Ours lived on campus, so she offered to take us up. At that point of the day, I was exhausted and wanted to get out of my suit and sleep.

I perused said website, but could only find floor plans. I got accepted for a single, so unless I find something magical before April 24th, I guess I'm going to live there. Does anyone know if this contract deadline can be pushed back a little, say around May 15th?

doubtful. i have a feeling they set it at may 1 for a reason.;)

i suppose it couldn't hurt to ask though.

Just trying to be helpful for you guys, here is a list of books I would recommend for first year. Some people might disagree with me, but these are the books I have found helpful.

1. BRS Physio - a must, it's honestly the best book I bought all year
2. Rohen Colored Atlas (for anatomy) - another good investment, I bought both Rohen and Netter (I'd probably get Netter too), which I thought was a good combination
3. Lippincott Biochemistry - specific enough without being overly confusing, good diagrams
4. Bate's - for ECR, not necessarily a must, but still good to have around

If I could have chosen four-five books to use throughout the year, these would have been it. Hope this helps!

cool, thanks jon!

if we just buy these books (and not the rest on the M1 booklist), do you think we'll be okay for first year?

Last edited:
cool, thanks jon!

if we just buy these books (and not the rest on the M1 booklist), do you think we'll be okay for first year?

I bought West and Vander for physio (both on the book list) and never opened them. I bought Robbin's for ECR and have opened it a few times, it's debatable if buying it was a good idea or not. I did buy Clinically Oriented Anatomy and used it a few times, but probably wasn't worth the money. Although it is a good book, you just don't have time to look at it. I might add the Haines atlas for Neuro to the list I wrote earlier, since I enjoy anatomy and it is always good to get those easier points on tests.

Honestly, those 4-5 books are really all you need (in addition to the class notes) to do well. If you want specifics about grades, message me because I don't want to post them to the world.

So the classes. Are they just lectures and the professors provide powerpoint notes for the students to follow along? Also, do they make the tests straight from their notes?

So the classes. Are they just lectures and the professors provide powerpoint notes for the students to follow along? Also, do they make the tests straight from their notes?

The powerpoints are posted on D2L, an online site that students have access to. You have to print them out and bring them to lecture everyday, or just do it all on your computer. Printing the notes everyday is a huge pain in the ass.

For the most part tests are straight from the notes. Some classes will test you on information from books, but only a few questions per test so it won't hurt your grade substantially if you don't read.

How long are classes each day typically? 8 hours? I hope not.

It depends on the day. As an M1, your days will either end at noon or 4 for most of the year.

I don't remember from my tour.. are lectures recorded and available online or are students required to attend?

I don't remember from my tour.. are lectures recorded and available online or are students required to attend?

They weren't at the beginning of the year for us, but then our class board bought the equipment and everything is posted online now. I find it easier to come to class and just be done with it, I don't have the willpower to listen to them on my own.

I spoke with a lady at housing. Apparently the contract and $500 deposit isn't due until May 1st. FYI.

For those of you for sure attending RFU (and current students), how did you make your decision? What made you choose to attend over other schools?

In the absence of a University hospital, where do RFU students do their clinical rotations? I thought I read/heard that RFU has some agreement with Advocate Health Care ie: Illinois Masonic, Lutheran General, Christ, and some others that I can't think of off of the top of my head. Is this the case? Thanks.

The hospitals we rotate at are Illinois Masonic, Lutheran General, Advocate Christ, Mount Sinai, Cook County General, North Chicago VA, Condell Hospital, Swedish Covenant, Norwalk Hospital in Connecticut, and Hines VA, but I would say that the majority of rotations are at Lutheran, Mount Sinai, Cook, and Masonic.

For those of you for sure attending RFU (and current students), how did you make your decision? What made you choose to attend over other schools?

i only got into one school, so the decision was made for me. but, here's what i am most excited about:

The hospitals we rotate at are Illinois Masonic, Lutheran General, Advocate Christ, Mount Sinai, Cook County General, North Chicago VA, Condell Hospital, Swedish Covenant, Norwalk Hospital in Connecticut, and Hines VA, but I would say that the majority of rotations are at Lutheran, Mount Sinai, Cook, and Masonic.

I was just wondering which of the forms International students have to fill out since we do not qualify for aid. Does anyone have an idea?

I was just wondering which of the forms International students have to fill out since we do not qualify for aid. Does anyone have an idea?

I'm trying to get a student loan of credit from the bank in Canada. I asked the CMS financial aid ppl about this, and they said if you're getting a student LOC from Canada, you don't need to fill out the financial aid forms.

I'm trying to get a student loan of credit from the bank in Canada. I asked the CMS financial aid ppl about this, and they said if you're getting a student LOC from Canada, you don't need to fill out the financial aid forms.

Ditto. I have the same information.

hey everyone, im a current M1 and if you have any questions feel free to ask...im also going to be an orientation advisor and im excited to meet all of you this August!
take care and enjoy your summer! Its really an exciting time for all of you! congrats!!! :)

Hi,

I'm looking at CMS's Match List and I was wondering what the difference is between a transitional year and a medicine-preliminary year? I think some specialties (rads, anesthesiology) begin in PGY-2 so you need a "prelim" year before that, but then what does the transitional year do?

Thanks

In a prelim medicine year, you are basically an internal medicine intern for one year meaning you generally do about 7-10 general medicine ward months. The rest of the time, you generally do internal medicine electives such as cardiology, GI...etc. A transitional year is a rotating internship where you spend 6 months doing "core" rotations such as medicine, surgery, peds, OB, or ICU, 1 month doing emergency med, 1 month doing an ambulatory clinic, and the rest of the time you do electives such as radiology, dermatology, anesthesia, pathology...etc. Transitional year internships tend to have much easier schedules with fewer weekends and fewer calls, so they are much more competitive to get into. For specialties such as radiology/anesthesia/ophtho/dermatology where becoming awesome at treating medicine patients really doesn't make much of a difference as to your future career, people try to get into transitional year internships.

Hi,

I'm looking at CMS's Match List and I was wondering what the difference is between a transitional year and a medicine-preliminary year? I think some specialties (rads, anesthesiology) begin in PGY-2 so you need a "prelim" year before that, but then what does the transitional year do?

Thanks

thanks streetfighter!

Just got accepted, I think I will be looking for a roommate at the woodlands.

About me:
Female, 24y/o
non smoker, very rare drinker
quiet, not much for parties, but do enjoy having friends over for dinner/games/movies every once in a while
2-3 on the cleanliness scale of 1-5 (5 being messy), depending on how busy i am
enjoy outdoor activities- climbing, running, snowboarding, etc