Rosalind Franklin Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Schedules for 2009 - 2010 are now available on the CMS website.

The good news:
Lectures generally start at 9 AM, not 8.

The bad news:
Someone thought it would be a good idea to have exams every Monday at 7:45 AM.

oh wow, thanks. i like the way they scheduled exams by organ systems for this year, instead of having a separate midterm/final exam for each subject.

Members don't see this ad.

that would be awesome. i like multiple choice.

also, DavidMD28, do you know what this T-score business is when they mark our exams/midterms?

The T-Score is like a "fancy" curve. It basically takes all the scores and sets up a curve based on standard deviation away from the class average. Generally a T-score of 50 would be average and anything above a T-score of 58 is an A....there is a formula that they use to calculate the T-score but in general if the class average is higher than the T-score they will use your percent score instead of the T-score. Last year, the T-score was used in MCB, Genetics, and Biochemistry. The rest of the courses did not have a curve and neuroscience is curved on a percent scale not a T-score. Overall, just do your very best and hope you score at the top. Do lots of practice questions and try to understand the material instead of just memorizing random facts. This is especially important when physio comes along....

Sorry this might seem like a random question but I couldn't find this on the RFUMS website (must be there somewhere but can't find it for the life of me).

Does RFUMS have meal plans (I assume there's a cafeteria of some sort)? I have no idea if these are uncommon at grad schools but coming from undergrad the only thing I learned to cook was Ramen and I don't think I could live off that stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for med school :p. I am living on campus so I know the rooms come with a kitchen but I really don't think I'll have much time to cook studying for classes (not that I really know how to cook anyways).

Thanks.

you are going to have time to cook, don't get carried away now...yes, you have to study a lot, but you have time to make some food lol. I usually get some chicken breasts and rice...stuff thats easy to make and is healthy. of course, during exam weeks its all about the fast food....but you really dont have "exam weeks" like we had last year, so you should have more time than we did. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started buying the books on the book list? The list says 2008-09 school year on it. I know a few of the books have newer editions. Has anyone inquired about this?

Many people have different ideas about what books are best for the M1 year....here are my picks......DONT BUY EVERYTHING ON THAT LIST....THE LIBRARY HAS COPIES IF YOU NEED TO USE THE BOOK FOR AN HOUR OR TWO...
1. Grants Atlas of Anatomy (or Netter, but grants is better i think b/c on the bottom of each page there is a paragraph explaining the diagram which is nice)
2. Rohen's atlas of cadaver pics (really good for the lab, and less smelly)...stay current with the lab material, its easy to get behind...!
3. Netters Anatomy Flash cards.....(good for flippin through between classes or when you are at home and dont feel like reading a text...really good before you go to bed....nice bedtime reading..lol)
4. BRS physiology....gives a good overview of everything....the exams are more specific than BRS physio, but its still good
5. Get the ECR Books (you can use them on the exams...or at least we did last year, not sure if they are changing the open book thing...)...there are a lot of books going around in pdf form so you may want to wait on these...
6. Haines NeuroAnatomy Atlas (she takes pics from this book and puts them on the anatomy portion of the neuro exams in teh spring quarter)
***again, this is just my recommendation....everyone has different learning styles but for the most part i think these are it.
***The lecture powerpoints/notes are super detailed and you will have a hard enough time trying to read all those through and memorize them....
good luck.

Looking at the schedule, it looks like both terms 2 and 3 kick off with some exams. So much for having a "break" the week before. :(

Looks like these classes will be a nonstop onslaught from August-May. Hope we'll be ready. :)

Looking at the schedule, it looks like both terms 2 and 3 kick off with some exams. So much for having a "break" the week before. :(

Looks like these classes will be a nonstop onslaught from August-May. Hope we'll be ready. :)

Anybody else noticed how we have exams every Monday, beginning from the 4th week, with the exception of the 1th week? Dang!!

Hey guys, do any of you know where I can find out how much we need to pay in tuition and housing fees, when its due and all that sort of info? I've tried calling the financial aid office and left multiple messages, but no response yet.

Hey guys, do any of you know where I can find out how much we need to pay in tuition and housing fees, when its due and all that sort of info? I've tried calling the financial aid office and left multiple messages, but no response yet.

I Spoke to people in the business office and heard from others, and they said that tuition is not due until the end of the month-august 30th. You have to pick up your bills from the office and all that info will come during orientation. Also we pay in 3 quarters so basically thirds so the first installment in august which will be larger because there are a number of student fees etc due then, Then in November and then in February. Hope that helps!