Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dogdayafternoon

Hey,

I was thinking of applying here next year. Was wondering if you guys had any info on this school. I have the raw facts from the MSAR book. But how is acceptance generated? Is it a points based system or does the Dean of Admissions have a huge role in it? If you get an interview, what are your chances of admission?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there this year, and they seem to have a point system (at least for the interviews). I'm not sure how the rest of it is decided. The main things about this school are the fact that it's located far away from actual Chicago, and you do your clerkships in chicago, which means (usually, according to the students) that you move after two years into downtown chicago. As long as this doesn't bug you, then you're fine.
I was accepted, but turned down because I just was not impressed. Hope that helps (I think they're pretty good about accepting out of state kids too, if you fit into that boat.)

dogdayafternoon said:
Hey,

I was thinking of applying here next year. Was wondering if you guys had any info on this school. I have the raw facts from the MSAR book. But how is acceptance generated? Is it a points based system or does the Dean of Admissions have a huge role in it? If you get an interview, what are your chances of admission?

interviews are on a point system. They are factored in with the other stats when ADCOM is considering your application. I don't think the dean plays as large a role as in some schools but I could be wrong. Yes, after two years here you move downtown to do clerkships at multiple hospitals. Some people don't like not being affiliated with a single hospital but I like change of scenery every now and then.

RFUMS is not a top choice school. It is expensive, and it is out in the middle of nowhere. But for me (I got denied by all my state schools) I am happy to be going here. the school is ranked 60/125 in board scores and I think its match list is competitive with any other non-elite school out there. Given those two aspects I think the school is highly underrated, but I might be biased. :D Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the school

Members don't see this ad :)
Mperor said:
interviews are on a point system. They are factored in with the other stats when ADCOM is considering your application. I don't think the dean plays as large a role as in some schools but I could be wrong. Yes, after two years here you move downtown to do clerkships at multiple hospitals. Some people don't like not being affiliated with a single hospital but I like change of scenery every now and then.

RFUMS is not a top choice school. It is expensive, and it is out in the middle of nowhere. But for me (I got denied by all my state schools) I am happy to be going here. the school is ranked 60/125 in board scores and I think its match list is competitive with any other non-elite school out there. Given those two aspects I think the school is highly underrated, but I might be biased. :D Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the school

did they tell u the 60/125 board score stat during your interview or did you find that out using another source?....pretty impressive

Agreed, it would be nice to get a look at that resource...

Vizsla said:
did they tell u the 60/125 board score stat during your interview or did you find that out using another source?....pretty impressive

trust me.... after going here for a year, you hear the faculty bumping the same two stats all the time. That, and our match list. Both are suprisingly competitive considering the school's reputation isnt that great.

The president used 60/125 in his recent convocation speech so I imagine it is accurate.

Mperor said:
trust me.... after going here for a year, you hear the faculty bumping the same two stats all the time. That, and our match list. Both are suprisingly competitive considering the school's reputation isnt that great.

The president used 60/125 in his recent convocation speech so I imagine it is accurate.

I find it mind boggling sometimes with all this reputation crap. WHo are the people dishing out reputations of a school. What governs their judgement? Is it level of research? Is it quality of teaching? It seems more than half the faculty of CMS (correct me if Im wrong) got their MDs or PhDs from top schools so if the question is quality of teaching then we should blame the schools that produces the faculty. When I interviewed at RFU i was pleasantly surprised - It is a great school and Im hoping to attend if accepted. People are just too hung up on reputation as though a schools reputation makes the medical school experience less rigorous. One still needs to work hard regardless. Just my 2 cents after reading all the threads about how RFU was'nt respected.

Orth2006 said:
I find it mind boggling sometimes with all this reputation crap. WHo are the people dishing out reputations of a school. What governs their judgement? Is it level of research? Is it quality of teaching? It seems more than half the faculty of CMS (correct me if Im wrong) got their MDs or PhDs from top schools so if the question is quality of teaching then we should blame the schools that produces the faculty. When I interviewed at RFU i was pleasantly surprised - It is a great school and Im hoping to attend if accepted. People are just too hung up on reputation as though a schools
reputation makes the medical school experience less rigorous. One still needs to work hard regardless. Just my 2 cents after reading all the threads about how RFU was'nt respected.

here's what hurts Rosalind Franklin:

1) no affiliated hospital... even I think this was a stupid move on their part. CMS used to be in downtown chicago, and if it were still there they would have no problem having one affiliated hospital.

2) low research capability. In my opinion the research facilities here are just now begining to improve. I was lucky enough to get a summer internship in the new research wing and it is top notch. But the rest of the labs look like where you might have had your basic high school biology. Also schools are ranked based on their federal grant money and RFU hardly has any (though it is on the rise... from 0...ha!) This was one of the reasons it was on probation

3) financial workings suck. Aside from it being the 19th most expensive school in the nation (4 years ago it was number 4) theyve had some major problems with money handling. There was a big controversy about the previous board of trustees and rumor has it they were severely mishandling money. They have all since been let go as part of the restructuring to get out of probation, and the school is on a 4 year tuition freeze (good news for those applying) so hopefully it will be about the median expense for private/out of state by then

Everything else from what I can see is competitive with any non-elite school out there. But because of earlier problems, I understand that RFU is still black balled (such as northwestern at a few hospitals, and regardless how good your stats are, it will be highly unlikely that you will get a residency there.

All that said I think this school is highly underrated and 99% of the people who are here are thrilled to be going here and have nothing but love for the school.

At what places are RFU students blackballed? Thanks for the info!

annamarie said:
At what places are RFU students blackballed? Thanks for the info!

Im not entirely sure. I had a breif conversation with a 4th year and he mentioned that most FRUers didnt apply to some residencies because it was pointless. That said, I'm sure the list is short and there is a first time for everything.

I hope one of them isn't michigan, because I will be busting my ass for the next few years to be trying to get back there for residency :D

Where is ectopic fetus? He would have a better answer for us.