Roseman University of Health Sciences - 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: The name was just changed this year from University of Southern Nevada.

It appears that the application for Fall 2012 is up, so I thought that I might as well post this thread for all the usual questions and answers and interview things.

FYU, I am a current P1 student at the Henderson, NV campus, so I've been through the application process, and I'm starting to go through the curriculum and IPPEs and whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long of responses to the essay questions are they expecting?

Good job getting in Golden! So what kinds of questions do they ask in an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long of responses to the essay questions are they expecting?

Long enough to provide them a good answer? I doubt anyone remembers or cares anymore how long the answers were, but I do remember using most or all of the available space. It was probably hard not to excess the space given.

Good job getting in Golden! So what kinds of questions do they ask in an interview?

Thanks. You should probably expect the more commonly asked questions as indicated by interviewees in the SDN Interview Feedback. I feel that the people who ask the more "creative" questions are few and far between. Direct link is http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/usn-pharm

Do you know the avg gpa and prays of those accepted?

If we submit our app earlier, will we get an earlier interview date?

If we submit our app earlier, will we get an earlier interview date?

Depends on how well they score your app I think. If it's good, then yes you'll get an earlier date. However, I think I remember hearing that at least one person submitted it early but got the last interview date? I'd recommend submitting early regardless, unless you really need to wait for some reason.

I applied early november and was called for interview two weeks later. So it's depend on what they looking for on your application.

I applied early november and was called for interview two weeks later. So it's depend on what they looking for on your application.

can u share ur stats with us please?? I plan to reapply this year...

BS in Biology
Research, many community services and volunteering
Hospital pharmacy volunteer
GPA: cumm: 3.4
Math and Science GPA: 3.75
PCAT: not that great to mention.. ahhaha

I'm applying for this selection cycle as well, hopefully I get in. Rather stay in state than leave.

I'm also applying for Fall 2012.

No Degree
Overall GPA: 4.0
Math Science: 4.0
PCAT: 09/19/2011

I hope I get it! I really like how the curriculum is set up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying for Fall 2012.

No Degree
Overall GPA: 4.0
Math Science: 4.0
PCAT: 09/19/2011

I hope I get it! I really like how the curriculum is set up.

You'll at least get an interview so don't blow it :)

There are five areas that the interview process is designed to assess:

Motivation
Leadership
Teamwork
Problem-Solving Skills
Professionalism

You can expect questions that deal with those five areas. Prior to your interview, it would be a good idea to think about situations where you showed good leadership, motivated someone, how you handled a conflict in a group setting, what professionalism is to you and how you show it, etc. They also want to assess your communication skills. Can you put a sentence together and get your point across?

By getting an interview there is something on your application that they like. It's up to you in the interview to sell yourself. They know you are a good student on paper, they just want to make sure you can succeed in their rigorous program. They don't want to accept a student who is going to fail out before Christmas.

One more thing, after your interview, don't ask how well you did or what your chances are of getting in are. It drives me crazy!

My stats are

Cumulative GPA: 3.52
Prereq GPA: 3.3-3.4 (Not too sure how they're going to calculate it, says 6 credits worth of anatomy credits I have around 8)
PCAT: Composite score of 83 with an an 84 on biology and a 93 on chemistry.
I also have my bachelors in biology and am a resident of Nevada. I'm really hoping I get in, I rather stay in Vegas a bit longer than go out of state, gives me more family time and I really love the 3 year block system they use.

There are five areas that the interview process is designed to assess:

Motivation
Leadership
Teamwork
Problem-Solving Skills
Professionalism

You can expect questions that deal with those five areas. Prior to your interview, it would be a good idea to think about situations where you showed good leadership, motivated someone, how you handled a conflict in a group setting, what professionalism is to you and how you show it, etc. They also want to assess your communication skills. Can you put a sentence together and get your point across?

By getting an interview there is something on your application that they like. It's up to you in the interview to sell yourself. They know you are a good student on paper, they just want to make sure you can succeed in their rigorous program. They don't want to accept a student who is going to fail out before Christmas.

One more thing, after your interview, don't ask how well you did or what your chances are of getting in are. It drives me crazy!

Thanks for the interview tips, Pong! Let's hope I get to put your advice to use.

Did anyone get in with a PCAT score below 50?

Did anyone get in with a PCAT score below 50?

You can kinda tell that people got in with PCAT scores below 50 from the numbers. The entering class of 2011 had a median percentile of 69, so it's pretty clear that some people scored below 50. The interview is very important, so if you get to that point and you can interview well, you have a good chance.

You can kinda tell that people got in with PCAT scores below 50 from the numbers. The entering class of 2011 had a median percentile of 69, so it's pretty clear that some people scored below 50. The interview is very important, so if you get to that point and you can interview well, you have a good chance.

Agreed. If you can get an interview, you have just as much of a chance of getting in as the guy who has a 4.0 and 90+ on the PCAT. Obviously if you get an interview, there was something in your application that they liked. It's up to you to complete the sell and show them why you will be a good fit for the program.

So I know this is a bit off topic, but I figure people who are applying here are more likely to be Nevada residents. How have you guys dealt with getting experience? I haven't had any luck in the past 4 months finding anything that would give pharmacy experience.

Also like I asked before it says 6 credits of a and p, but I have 8 how would that work towards the calculation of their prereq gpa?

How many people are applying without a BS?

Your GPA must be high and have a BS?

No BS degree, but I had a GPA (and science GPA) of 3.6...Seriously. Get the interview. When you get the interview, they don't care about your academic history anymore. It's 2/3 of the total points will be earned on your interview.

To tell you the truth...When I took the PCAT, I came in really drunk and forgot about the test until the night of (when I was sleeping) lol

No BS degree, but I had a GPA (and science GPA) of 3.6...Seriously. Get the interview. When you get the interview, they don't care about your academic history anymore. It's 2/3 of the total points will be earned on your interview.

To tell you the truth...When I took the PCAT, I came in really drunk and forgot about the test until the night of (when I was sleeping) lol

LOL, That's really high GPA there! Well, I don't really have a high G.P.A, but I do have a BS ....and crappy PCAT score! Hopefully I get an interview there! :):xf:

This school is not on rolling admissions, right? They wont notify us of complete apps until dec/jan or do they start giving out interviews before that? I'm looking to apply here for fall 2012 as well.

This school is not on rolling admissions, right? They wont notify us of complete apps until dec/jan or do they start giving out interviews before that? I'm looking to apply here for fall 2012 as well.

I believe they start interviewing in November and December for those applications that they especially like. Otherwise, the bulk of the interviews are February, March, and April.

I believe they start interviewing in November and December for those applications that they especially like. Otherwise, the bulk of the interviews are February, March, and April.

So, the initial invitations for an interview will most likely go out in late October or early November? The invites are sent via email, right?

So, the initial invitations for an interview will most likely go out in late October or early November? The invites are sent via email, right?

Yes, that is correct. They usually do a few groups of interviews before Christmas. I didn't get a interview invite until February and I interviewed in March. Dr. Deyoung usually sends an email out but occasionally he will call the candidate and request an interview.

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct. They usually do a few groups of interviews before Christmas. I didn't get a interview invite until February and I interviews in March. Dr. Deyoung usually sends an email out but occasionally he will call the candidate and request an interview.

Thanks, Pong! You are full of answers/information! I really appreciate it.

As much as fits into the page without minimizing the text. Think mine were all around 400-500 words, not double spaced.

How long are everyones responses..

On the essay questions, use as much space as you feel you need to sufficiently answer the question. Don't feel like you need to fill in every line because it's not quantity of words that matter, it quality. Also, have someone read through your application to check for errors and that it makes sense.

During the interview, again, use as much time as you feel you need adequately answers the question. I would say 60-90 seconds or so is a normal response but it depends on the question. Interviews are usually 15-20 minutes so that's usually enough time for the student interviewing to introduce themselves, answer 6-10 questions, then have time to ask questions of us.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

So here is my situation.
I currently go to a pharmacy school, but the program is a bit sub par. I really want to reapply for Roseman University, but don't know if my attempt will be futile.
I didn't get the chance to retake the pcat's b/c I didn't think of reapplying since I got into a school, but honestly want to "transfer" to Roseman. My current pcat score is beyond horrid when compared to others. Its basically below 50 , in the 30's.
My undergrad GPA is above 2.8 but below 3.0, but my grades in pharmacy school are currently at about 3.5.

I guess the biggest question is, do you think I have a chance at being picked for an interview? b/c my undergrad grades are not top notch, but I feel that I can prove that I am competent enough to be in the program because I am doing well at an accredited pharmacy school.

Problem is I don't know how they score points to obtain an interview, so I'm just wondering if they even consider the fact that getting into and going to a pharmacy school is good enough to get an interview.

I'm sorry for such the long message, I really want a second opinion on if I should apply or not. I'm unhappy with the program I'm in right now, and want to go to Roseman Univeristy.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

So here is my situation.
I currently go to a pharmacy school, but the program is a bit sub par. I really want to reapply for Roseman University, but don't know if my attempt will be futile.
I didn't get the chance to retake the pcat's b/c I didn't think of reapplying since I got into a school, but honestly want to "transfer" to Roseman. My current pcat score is beyond horrid when compared to others. Its basically below 50 , in the 30's.
My undergrad GPA is above 2.8 but below 3.0, but my grades in pharmacy school are currently at about 3.5.

I guess the biggest question is, do you think I have a chance at being picked for an interview? b/c my undergrad grades are not top notch, but I feel that I can prove that I am competent enough to be in the program because I am doing well at an accredited pharmacy school.

Problem is I don't know how they score points to obtain an interview, so I'm just wondering if they even consider the fact that getting into and going to a pharmacy school is good enough to get an interview.

I'm sorry for such the long message, I really want a second opinion on if I should apply or not. I'm unhappy with the program I'm in right now, and want to go to Roseman Univeristy.

What year are you in? What program are you currently in? The only problem with trying to transfer to Roseman is you would have to start over as a P1 student. Because of their unique 3 year program, it would be difficult to put you in the P2 class for next year.

What is it about Roseman that makes you want to quit your current program and join our program? I don't think that having a low undergrad GPA and PCAT reflect how good of a pharmacy student you will be necessarily so I wouldn't worry about that as much. Another thing to consider is how intense Roseman's pharmacy program is. If you switch to Roseman are you going to be able to keep up with everything? 90% on everything is no easy task.

There is no harm in applying if Roseman is where you really want to complete your pharmacy education. It doesn't make sense to me why you would want to switch programs though. If you do apply, make sure you explain why you are wanting to switch programs and you will have a better chance of getting an interview.

So when it states 12 inch font does that mean off a word processor? I typed my responses all off the word processor instead of directly into the space and it seems to fit, but I'm not sure if it's 12 in font now. I copy and paste it back into the processor and it says it is.

So when it states 12 inch font does that mean off a word processor? I typed my responses all off the word processor instead of directly into the space and it seems to fit, but I'm not sure if it's 12 in font now. I copy and paste it back into the processor and it says it is.

I just typed my responses, pasted them into the PDF file, and adjusted length of responses as needed.

Golden Bear. I have a quick question for you. Are you a P1 or a P2?

Well my app has been sent in, now I'm just waiting on my pcat scores to arrive. I have a few questions for those who are currently attending.

How is tuition? I keep hearing about 5% increases.
How well are you retaining the information?
How are tests?
How did you prepare for the interviews?
Lastly does FAFSA here work like in any other school now? I was reading through the questions on their SDN page and kept seeing that brought up, though it was a while ago.
It be nice to see their naplex passing rate along with job placement, hoping to hear a bit more about that later on in the process if I get an interview.

Thanks again!

Well my app has been sent in, now I'm just waiting on my pcat scores to arrive. I have a few questions for those who are currently attending.

How is tuition? I keep hearing about 5% increases.
How well are you retaining the information?
How are tests?
How did you prepare for the interviews?
Lastly does FAFSA here work like in any other school now? I was reading through the questions on their SDN page and kept seeing that brought up, though it was a while ago.
It be nice to see their naplex passing rate along with job placement, hoping to hear a bit more about that later on in the process if I get an interview.

Thanks again!

Tuition is 41k+ now (sorry I don't have an exact figure. To be honest, I prefer not to know. It scares me.). They told us day one to expect a 5% increase every year. They lived up to what they said for my P2 year when it increased by a few thousand dollars.

Yes, it's difficult to retain ALL of the information that you are tested on every other week. However, a lot of the important information is brought up over and over throughout the year so it tends to stick in your head. I think you'd be surprised with how much you actually remember come the end of year assessment.

Tests aren't that bad. I mean, yes, it can be a very stressful day for most because of the pressure on you to perform well (at least 90%), but if you committed yourself to your studies and prepared well for the assessment you will do just fine. I haven't had a hard time passing any of them.

You can take a look at some of the questions that have been asked previously (based off a survey done by SDN) to give you an idea as to what type of questions to expect. All questions are related to the 5 areas I mentioned earlier in this thread. Think ahead of time of situations where you showed good leadership, worked well in a team, used good problem solving skills, etc. Also, learn about the school (their website is a good start). So many students come to interviews without having much knowledge of the school or how the program works. Talk to current students or past students and get their opinion. Also, prepare a few questions to ask your interview panel. You don't want to come across as a "know-it-all".

You will fill out a FAFSA every year, just like to you did for undergrad. I haven't heard of anyone getting a pell grant or anything like that but through FAFSA is how you get your loans for school.

Yes, Rosemans NAPLEX passing rate is very high (98-99% passing rate). But something to keep in mind when looking at that figure; that refers to the P3 students who actually took the NAPLEX, meaning they made it through to the end. If they took the number of P1 students who started the program vs. actually taking and passing the NAPLEX, the percentage would be much lower.

Sorry so long, hopefully it answered your questions though.

Tuition is about what Pong Champ said. It is not significantly higher per year than similar private 4-year programs.

I think I'm retaining things reasonably well depending on how often and how thoroughly I go over them during studying. Some things stick more well than others, some I might be able to recall if you ask me in multiple choice format (a la the exams), and some I'll probably have to relearn later. Cramming is bad... my friend who's been relying more on cramming says he literally doesn't remember things after he wakes up from his post-exam sleep.

Tests have been fine so far. However, I'm concerned about this upcoming one because it feels like the most info (and most new info) we've been asked to learn so far, and mostly everyone is overwhelmed.

I read the SDN interview questions. Some interviewers do the standard ones (the ones that show up most often), and others use questions that are more fun, like the hypothetical situations and such. The week before the interview, I tried to prepare for the latter, but I actually saw none of those.

I look at the NAPLEX passing rate this way: if you weren't cut out for it, you'll be removed for failing long before you get a chance to take the test. When you (and the majority of people) get to that point, you will be prepared.

I look at the NAPLEX passing rate this way: if you weren't cut out for it, you'll be removed for failing long before you get a chance to take the test. When you (and the majority of people) get to that point, you will be prepared.

Well put Golden Bear

Thanks again you two. It's really helpful to get so much information. Now if only I could find some part time pharmacy technician work xD.

For the supp application we just fill out the PDF file, print it and mail it to them with a check?

the situation: i don't recall there being a supp application for Roseman.