Rosen vs. Harwood-Nuss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a big textbook person and will be purchasing either of these. Rosen's is the E.R. bible, but might be impractical to read from cover-to-cover. I've heard that Harwood-Nuss is doable. Can anybody confirm this? Is it comprehensive enough for residency or will I keep referring back to Rosen's? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually have all three texts:Rosens, Harwood-Nuss, and Tintinalli. I would definitely recommend getting Rosens and one other text.Most residency programs will buy you one book(or give you a stipend to get it) so really you would only need to buy one. Rosen is very detailed and good to do case based reading or in preparing for lectures on a topic but it is almost impossible to get through cover to cover.Some parts can also be a little over your head if you don't have a firm understanding of basic managements. Harwood-Nuss and Tintinalli can easily be read cover to cover during your intern year and give you a good grasp of the basics that you'll need for the inservice. Good luck.

Our program buys us both. If only buying one, make it H-N (I have no experience with Tintinalli). Rosen's is thorough, but H-N is more doable in my limited reading time. In all honesty, I do most of my reading from Just the facts while I'm a 'tern, and plan to read the others more in 2nd year when there's more time.