Ross--Communicating From Dominica

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had a few questions regarding communicating with the outside world once i get to Dominica:

1) how long does it take for mail from the states to get to the island? (if i really needed something, could i get it in like 2-3 days?)

2) as far as phones go, would it be feasible for me to take my cell phone and just buy a SIM card when i get to the island or should i get a phone there?

3) is there high speed internet on the island?

Members don't see this ad.

studentdoctor2 said:
i had a few questions regarding communicating with the outside world once i get to Dominica:

1) how long does it take for mail from the states to get to the island? (if i really needed something, could i get it in like 2-3 days?)

2) as far as phones go, would it be feasible for me to take my cell phone and just buy a SIM card when i get to the island or should i get a phone there?

3) is there high speed internet on the island?

1) mail can take some time, don't count on 2-3 days even if you send it priority. Might get things quicker if you did DHL or Fedex.

2)I would get a phone there. I forgot why, just remember it was the smarter option.

3) There is semi-high speed internet. Forget the cable co. THey are the bigger nightmare to deal with and most of the time their product does not even work. Go with the cable-n-wireless DSL. Speed is faster than dialup but you won't get the speeds your used to in the US. Sometimes there is a long waiting list to get through to get DSL. When I was there they had a limited amount of DSL ports to hook up subscribers to. They waiting list was 4 months long at least.

Speeds were about 15-20 K/s down. Almost like IDSN.