Ross "Floating University"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where are you getting this information from? I personally work with a doctor who is from Dominica (and, interestingly, went to med school in the U.S.) and she confirms what valid username says here:

-Skip

I did say most likely. If they stay in Dominica it will a few hard semesters. But it will allow the locals to recover a little better.

Members don't see this ad.

Not merely going to medical school in a Third World country, but going to medical school in prison in a Third World country.
This is incredibly offensive. You think you're better than people in so-called "third world countries"? I think the term overexploited countries is more accurate. And yet still even with all their hardships, there are amazing and bright doctors who come out of these countries that you choose to look down on. Get off your high horse.

Reactions: 1 user
This is incredibly offensive. You think you're better than people in so-called "third world countries"? I think the term overexploited countries is more accurate. And yet still even with all their hardships, there are amazing and bright doctors who come out of these countries that you choose to look down on. Get off your high horse.
No whining please. You missed the point of my post completely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things are looking for them now. They are being moved to Knoxville, Tennessee next semester. Believe they will be sharing a campus with LMU

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-11-09 14.40.08.png
    Screenshot 2017-11-09 14.40.08.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 80
congratulation, this is the best news of the day. You guys deserve much more than that ship

More on this...

(Of course, it’s pronounced “doh-min-EEK-uh”. Don’t expect a eastern Tennesseean to get that pronunciation correct.)

-Skip
2 questions.....I’m not sure if you know.

1 How are they able to operate in the US with basic sciences now but not able to operate here regularly?

2. It’s worded as if the current students will be moved but what about the accepted students and the Merp kids?

2 questions.....I’m not sure if you know.

1 How are they able to operate in the US with basic sciences now but not able to operate here regularly?

2. It’s worded as if the current students will be moved but what about the accepted students and the Merp kids?

Excellent questions. I'm not sure of the 'restrictions' on securing FFEL loans. I'm sure the school has requested special dispensation related to current circumstances.

Now, honestly? Everyone knows that these schools have always operated under a loophole. They've fed a need (wink-wink) to fill a massive looming doctors shortage in the U.S. And, the majority of the graduates do go into some kind of primary care. So, I think - in this new era of painful honesty and self-examination (witness what is happening in Hollywood right now) - it's time for people to stop deluding themselves and turning a blind eye to what purpose the Caribbean really serves, be truthful about what "for-profit" and "not-for-profit" education means in this day and age (in the era of skyrocketing tuition and the shark-like student loan industry), and re-examination of the entire medical education system in the U.S. as the cartel that it has been for, literally, the past century.

Do I really expect this to be the impetus for this to happen? Nah.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Glad that chapter of my life is over. Done with the GNV Excellent. Hello Knoxville!

a little birdy told me they are considering moving Ross med to St. Kitts with the vet school. $100 says it happens.

you heard it here first kids ;)

a little birdy told me they are considering moving Ross med to St. Kitts with the vet school. $100 says it happens.

you heard it here first kids ;)

This is not really news. And, it was not heard here first.

"Students and junior faculty at the satellite campus in St. Kitts will be the first to receive training during the next two months and then the university will look for opportunities to train the health sector."

The St. Kitts Satellite Campus Launches Heart Health Education, Training and Activities

Ross published this on their Medical School website, which they are now officially referring to St. Kitts as the medical school's "satellite" campus. This was done 2 days ago. Publicly.

Until it's officially announced, what you say is just gossip. And, unless your "little birdy" can be referenced and verify what you're saying (and you're not just guessing), the information you provide is nothing that couldn't already be easily determined by simply going to Ross's own website.

-Skip

This is not really news. And, it was not heard here first.

"Students and junior faculty at the satellite campus in St. Kitts will be the first to receive training during the next two months and then the university will look for opportunities to train the health sector."

The St. Kitts Satellite Campus Launches Heart Health Education, Training and Activities

Ross published this on their Medical School website, which they are now officially referring to St. Kitts as the medical school's "satellite" campus. This was done 2 days ago. Publicly.

Until it's officially announced, what you say is just gossip. And, unless your "little birdy" can be referenced and verify what you're saying (and you're not just guessing), the information you provide is nothing that couldn't already be easily determined by simply going to Ross's own website.

-Skip

LOL how shocking you replied immediately. Show me on the website where it says they aren't returning to Dominica.

Show me on the website where it says they aren't returning to Dominica.

What?

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with any assertion that they're relocating (i.e. your wager that they are likely pulling out of Dominica), and I therefore don't need to provide anyone any proof of anything. You are the one making the claims. Re-read what I wrote. My point was that all you've done at this point with your post is nothing more than (1) claim insider knowledge... that no one here believes you actually possess, and (2) spread unsubstantiated rumors.

What they have done already is publicly call the St. Kitts location their School of Medicine "satellite campus", which is directly from information currently available on their website. It is also public knowledge that they already have an infrastructure present on St. Kitts with the veterinary school. Anyone following this can infer that they may be considering such a move, among a multitude of other options, without having the special kind of insider knowledge you claim to possess. You want to look like you "know something" that others don't, whereas yours (or anyone else's at this point) could just as easily be dismissed as nothing other than gleaning and wild speculation. Your bold proclamation, however, fits with this new forum persona you're cultivating along with a narrative that you are purportedly some former DeVry consultant, which the majority of us also don't believe.

If Ross officially and finally decides to permanently relocate to St. Kitts (or elsewhere), they'll announce it when they're ready. Before then, who cares?

There. Clear? Stop gossiping.

-Skip

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

It looks like they took down a couple of the buildings on campus. Not sure what that means. There's quite a bit of work to be done to the campus and the surrounding area.

I do think its in their best interests to go back to Dom asap, or else the school would lose its accreditation. The dean reportedly told students that they would be going back in May, if not May, September at latest. It isn't really feasible to start from scratch in a new country. Ross has been in Dom since the school's inception, and the school and its students have been a great economic resource for the island. If the school does leave permanently, I think people in Picard are going to have a very difficult time recovering, more than they already are. Its a win-win for both sides if they go back.

It would be nice if someone from Ross' administration gave an update.

To be honest, I think it'll take some time for them to recover and by us being on the island, would only slow down those recovery efforts. Not to mention, we are there to study medicine and it would be even harder accessing the resources we need to do that.

As far as us going anywhere, nothing has been confirmed for moving or staying so we are still in limbo. Everything anyone hears till we hear it officially is just a rumor.

We are in Knoxville till end of December 2018. :D