Ross MS3s/MS4s/grads, where to do rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awdc

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any clinical students or grads out there that can give me some insight as to the quality of the rotations (especially the teaching) at Kern Medical Center, those in Chicago, and those in NY? Also, since I am considering either anesthesiology or radiology, which of those rotation sites do you think would be best?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with first hand knowledge will tell you that Kern offers students the most rounded clinical exposure....bottom line. Having said that, you will not have the opportunity to get all the "outside" rotations that are available in NY and Chicago. If you want good letters (which is what you need) you will have 10X the opportunity in Chicago and NY. I am applying for anesthesia this year and I know "skip" (another ROss anesthesia student) has done his rotations in NY. We had excellent opportunities to get great rotations outside of Ross. I was offered 30 invitations for interviews and only needed 14-15 of those to find the right residency for me.

If california is where you want to be, you may be able to travel to Los Angeles or other areas if you want to be at Kern.

awdc said:
Are there any clinical students or grads out there that can give me some insight as to the quality of the rotations (especially the teaching) at Kern Medical Center, those in Chicago, and those in NY? Also, since I am considering either anesthesiology or radiology, which of those rotation sites do you think would be best?

My advice, don't go to Chicago. It's a great town to live in, but you will have a much better learning experience if you go to New York. The best opportunities are in NYC.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
Swaydaa and Skip,

Thanks for the replies. A few more questions if you don't mind. Is it necessary to do outside electives (i.e. does Ross have anes/rads rotations at ACGME programs)?
Second thing I was wondering is how does Ross schedule our rotations? I know 3rd year is supposed to cover mostly cores but is it all cores? And when I submit my Step 1 scores to the NJ office, do I indicate what electives I want or do I just not worry about it until 4th year begins to come around? Thanks in advance and best wishes in the match.

You should still try to do outside electives. Ross does have an ACGME residency elective in Anesthesiology available at Maimonides hospital in Brooklyn, but I'm not sure about Radiology. You will get your cores set-up by the school, but a lot of your electives will be "fend for yourself". In other words, you should plan on doing a lot of them at hospitals where you will be calling and making the connections, scheduling, etc.

There are area hospitals with residency programs that accept Ross students for electives, but there are limitations (usually imposed by the State of New York) on how many "away" electives you can do. Just get your core schedule from the school after you pass Step 1, and then worry about getting your electives when you are more decided about what specialty you want.

Good luck. And, congrats on moving into "Phase 2" of your undergraduate medical education.

-Skip

Hey,

I got a few questions about the whole clinical process too. I just took my step this past saturday, so i gotta do the wait now...

but after my dad grilling about this stuff, I really didn't know the answers to what he's asking.

Do we get to submit a list of preferred clinical spots and/or location?
If this is done, when is it done?
If not how is it done?
How long will we have to find a place to live once we do find out?
How do you find a place if you're put in NYC for 6 weeks then placed in maryland or ct or some other site after that 1st rotation?

I guess i really don't understand the process.

Only thing I know is that I'd really like to avoid NYC. I understand the rotations are probably better there, but I'm not a NYC kind of person :|

Any opnions on the baltimore/washington rotations? or those in CT?

thanks

lmbebo said:
Hey,

I got a few questions about the whole clinical process too. I just took my step this past saturday, so i gotta do the wait now...

but after my dad grilling about this stuff, I really didn't know the answers to what he's asking.

Do we get to submit a list of preferred clinical spots and/or location?
If this is done, when is it done?
If not how is it done?
How long will we have to find a place to live once we do find out?
How do you find a place if you're put in NYC for 6 weeks then placed in maryland or ct or some other site after that 1st rotation?

Only thing I know is that I'd really like to avoid NYC. I understand the rotations are probably better there, but I'm not a NYC kind of person :|

thanks

Once you fax your passing score to the clinical department they will try their best to put you where you want to go. They also take into consideration other factors like a family living with you. When you start depends on whats open during that time frame....this is not usually a big problem.

I agree with you concerning NY. My only request to the clinical department was to KEEP me out of New York. I've had the time of my life here in Chicago. You can get rotations and great letters at most of the big universites (except Northwestern) if you put in the leg work.

Perhaps I should clarify my "don't go to Chicago" comment... okay, maybe not. (Swaydaa was there; he knows what I'm talking about.)

If you want more info, PM me. Just remember to "keep it in the family" when I give you the reasons why you should strongly consider NOT going to Chicago.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Perhaps I should clarify my "don't go to Chicago" comment... okay, maybe not. (Swaydaa was there; he knows what I'm talking about.)

If you want more info, PM me. Just remember to "keep it in the family" when I give you the reasons why you should strongly consider NOT going to Chicago.

-Skip

I'm not really sure whats up with Chicago. You are able to do all rotations at one hospital.They have some good rotations and some bad ones, but I guess If I did most of my rotations at Jackson Park I could see it getting a little old. You can pick up approx 60%-70% of your rotations outside of Jackson Park if you really wanted to.

Like I said in my previos post, either chicago or NY are good for getting strong letters. Try to go to Kern if you really want to be in California. Clinical rotations are in some ways like the basic sciences at ROss...meaning you get out what you put into it. I'm from the east coast and I've seen and done the NY thing. Not where I wanted to bring my family for 2 years.

lmbebo said:
Hey,

thanks

To answer these questions of yours...i moved around alot, just like you asked above...mainly 3 months at a time in certain cities. My parents did not want me to go to NYC, but i had no choice. So I started up there and then moved ASAP to Maryland to do a good % of my rotations. You can get housing lists from Ross or from the Hospitals themselves. It involves alot of calling and following up, but you will get something. PM me if you want specific names/addresses in NY and Baltimore.

I wanted to have the ability to drive without worry about parking/traffic like you would in NY. So I did my rotations in Maryland (baltimore) and Ohio (cleveland)

Baltimore Hospitals: Harbor, St.Agnes, Union, Maryland General, Spring Grove, NIH.

Washington Hospitals: Prince George County, St. Elizabeth's

A.