Ross questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks--

Had a few q's about ross.

1)are they still accepting applications for fall 04? do you think i have a fair shot of getting in this late?(2.9 sci, 3.08 overall, 34R mcat, electrical engineering, 1 yr clinical vol exp, few other things)

2)where can i find an application online? they have a form to request it via mail, but i want to fill it out now and send it asap without further delay.

3) waht's the process for their finaid? i need to take out full loans. is it on a 1st come 1st serve basis? did any of u have probs' getting full loans? how do you handle the living expenses? actually, how much are living expenses in grenada?

thanks for ur time

cheers
captjack

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm a second semester Ross student. It is def. not too late to apply..anything can happen. I got into Ross two weeks before my semester started. As far as I remember, I applied about 4 weeks before the semester started. My grades were slightly above yours, but MCAT was much less. Although, when I way applying, MCAT was not mandatory. I think you have a fair shot. Call the Admissions office (in NJ) and talk to them.....when I called, I randomly got someone on the phone who turned out to be one of the people who intervied students....set up an interview over the phone with him right away. Actually give them your stats and ask them about your chances...I did that and they told me right away that I had a decent shot. In terms of loans, I have not heard of any problems involving obtaining the full amount. Personally, I just take out the amount necessary to pay for tuition. The only problem that people do have (and I don't know if this is common in other institutions) is that you don't get the money right away....therefore, you better have a bit extra in your account so that you have something to live on in the beggining of the semester. In terms of housing, the prices vary. It is all up to you pretty much, and how much you are willing to pay for. The closer to the school, the more expensive. Close to school, you'll be paying around $500-700 U.S. dollars. Further away (realize that Dominica is a small Island...so really its not that far away), you can get an apartment for as low as $300 U.S. dollars. By the way, it seems to me that you think Ross is in Grenada....it isn't! It is in Dominica (an Island in West Indies). Time flies really fast while you are down here. The big thing that you have to realize about coming to Ross is that a lot of us kid around that is stands for Rely On Self Study. Everything is pretty much up to you and how much work you put into it. Minimal work will pass the exams...but then you won't do well on boards. If you put a lot of work into it....you'll do well.Too many of the professors have great credentials, but their teaching skills don't back that up. Food down here isn't too great.....LOTS of chicken...so much of it that when you'll go back to the States, you'll never want to see it again. Fresh vegetables and juices are also to be found. You can always ship things down here from home via Amerijet though. In general though, we are all down here to get our M.D., and to learn a thing or two. As long as you are optimistic and realistic, and put your time in to the studying, Ross can be a good experience. I can say this: I don't regret coming here. Hope this helps. Good luck.

klarochka said:
Hi. I'm a second semester Ross student. It is def. not too late to apply..anything can happen. I got into Ross two weeks before my semester started. As far as I remember, I applied about 4 weeks before the semester started. My grades were slightly above yours, but MCAT was much less. Although, when I way applying, MCAT was not mandatory. I think you have a fair shot. Call the Admissions office (in NJ) and talk to them.....when I called, I randomly got someone on the phone who turned out to be one of the people who intervied students....set up an interview over the phone with him right away.
I'm sorry but this is sad. You applied a month before school started, didn't have to have an MCAT score, and had an interview over the phone right after you called them for information. How much easier could it be? I knew it was easy to get into a caribbean school but it can't be this easy. That's a joke especially when Ross is supposed to be the 2nd best caribbean school. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ross interviews are never over the phone.

MCATs are required.

I never heard of a student appying 4 weeks before a semester. Then again, Ross does not have a set application deadline.

St. George has a much better/higher admission standard than Ross, But the new DevRy Management seem to be pushing the entrance standards higher.

In the past, Ross's plan seemed to be the following:

Admit all applicants that meet the mimimum criteria, then weed-out/fail the students who are at the bottom of their class before they enter clinicals/MS-3.

Many students fail out of Ross. Not everyone who enters Ross will graduate.

Hopefuly this will change with the new management.

if you don't like the standards, don't apply. :eek:
the poster was just posting their experience. the carribean is much different from state schools. ross just instituted requiring the mcat for admissions.being "number 2" as far as carribean schools means squat. i think it was great the the original poster got a break. i wholeheartedly agree with the living conditions on the island and the description. no fast food here. hard to find nice fish as well. it is like they have 3 main fish and that's it. i guess i will find red snapper under a coconut tree. :laugh:

Its more of a 1st come 1st serve basis. If there are openings still for the fall class then they'll look at you for that class. If not, they'll push you into the next starting class.

I think they have 4 main interview locations: Miami, LA, NJ, Michigan area?
There used to be an application online, but they did redo the website since I started here.

loans are based on you're credit history. We're not eligible for the full stratford? loans. What we do get almost covers the tuition amount. For living expenses and the rest of the tuition you have to sign up for private loans. The school will give you forms for that as well, if accepted. If you have a good credit history, then its no problem. If you got credit problems. Then you'll have financial problems.

I have never heard of an application going that quickly. It took me 2-3 months to get my stuff, interviewed and accepted. It was the quickest turn around from any school I had applied too, but it wasn't that quick.

People in NJ dont know crap. They dont decide anything.

As far as the OP getting in for the fall. Chances are it won't happen. From what Ive heard is that the fall term is about full now with people on a waiting list for it to happen. Chances are better that if you got accepted you'd be entering the Jan term.

Whoever said that the process is sad is dead wrong. Secondly, my interview was not over the phone....I simply scheduled it over the phone. I obviously had to come in to the NJ office for the actual interview. Don't be rude on the posts, please....I came home at 1:00 am from the anatomy lab, after being there for 6 hours...dead tired, and just wanted to help someone be a bit more informed (hence, I shared my experience). Obadya00.... Thank you for backing me up. In reference to my luck, I was also extremely determined and had other great credentials ( like graduating with honors in my major from undergrad, and having a semester of a Maters in Biology with straight A's, as well as tons of clinical experience)...and I MUST have interviewed well. Also, I STRESSED to them exactly how interested I was in getting accepted for the upcoming semester, otherwise I would have continued my masters. You have to understand that Ross has certain spots to fill up in their first semester class and in their med prep class. There were plenty of people before me who were told that there are no more spots available in the first semester class and were put into a med. prep class. It seems that they save a certain amount of spots by putting people into med prep. Then when it came down so close to the beginning of the semester, they still had openings in the 1st semester class. The statement a previous poster said regarding weeding people out is absolutely true. Last semester about 70 people failed out of about 300. Its a business as well as a med school, there is no doubt about that....but if you bust your butt and do the work, then you come out on top....and if you're failing classes and don't know the material, well then you should rethink whether or not you want to be doing this to begin with. What someone posted about the fish is also absolutely true. In reference to the people in NJ not doing squat......that obviously wasn't the case with me....they are the ones that pushed me through the process and got my file to the right people so that I can get in on time. By the way, a friend of mine who is a first semester student now, also got in pretty close to the beginning of the semester....about 4-5 weeks before it started. You have absolutely nothing to loose by applying....if you don't make it in for the upcoming semester, then they can bump you over for the one after that.

that is how rumors get started. first, it was 70, sooner or later, someone might say that half of the 1st semester failed.

wrong.

there were 295 students in the first semester of May of 2004.
At the end of that semester, 13 people have left before they took the final exams.
At the beginning of the 2nd semester, there are 256 students in the class plus repeaters from 3rd semester.

So officially, 39 students have either failed first semester, or they just decided that they don't want to be doctors. And among those students, there were 11 medprep students.

I noticed one guy who is repeating 1st semester for the 3rd time!

Some just transferred to St. Mathew.

Is the food really that bad? I heard so many rumors I decided to apply to AUC and St. Matthew's.

food isn't that bad (depends on where you go eat) .... just limited options mostly.

just the basics here
you are perpetually reading expiration dates on expensive "american" like products. if only we had OSHA here :love:

streak said:
Is the food really that bad? I heard so many rumors I decided to apply to AUC and St. Matthew's.

do you plan to have a vacation or study for medicine? remember, pain is temporary, pride is forever.

if you plan to have some good food, don't go study any medicine. i suggest you spend over 10,000 tuition on buying yourself good food, and have a good vacation for a month or something.

excellent point
i wish i got a loan check just to pay for my vacationing and food. forget about the med school thing, just food and vacationing.
man i wish there was a lotto here :p

obadya00 said:
excellent point
i wish i got a loan check just to pay for my vacationing and food. forget about the med school thing, just food and vacationing.
man i wish there was a lotto here :p

Is it possible for me to apply right now as well and get in the Aug semester? Also is Ross accredited back to the US for practice/residency?

Ross is still a good Caribbean school, it is not a community college. it is definitely too late to apply for August. and if you don't start soon, you might not even get a chance for Jan. class.

yea, of course to your second question.

UT_OC said:
Is it possible for me to apply right now as well and get in the Aug semester? Also is Ross accredited back to the US for practice/residency?