Ross Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea, since the subject is ross students,

i want to ask if anyone of you know the star code for booking from aa?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dknykid1980
Hey all

I just interviewed at Ross. It seems like an awesome school regardless of what ppl say. I looked at this brochure that was just printed and believe it or not the cum GPA of ross entrants are 3.3. I currently attend a very good private school in the midwest (Loyola) and as far as I know that's a relatively good GPA for a med school. U.S. schools' mean GPA for admissions are like 3.5, and a lot of schools have entrance gpAs of less than that (around 3.2-3.3 like finch, and southern state ones). So regardless I think ross rocks! I just hope I get in.

Well all i know is that i went to their school this past weekend. well actually I went to their office, and they had massively produced brochures which indicated that their GPA was a 3.3 (granted this is overall GPA score...the science was a 3.2). Nevertheless, these numbers have greatly increased throughout the years. Also may I add the thread about how transfer students from the Caribean will increase in number. Thus, one can clearly see that the difficulty of the admissions process abroad is gradually increasing so that they will be recognized by US standards.

Bottom line. Med school is med school.

peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jameslove
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------
Hey all

I just interviewed at Ross. It seems like an awesome school regardless of what ppl say. I looked at this brochure that was just printed and believe it or not the cum GPA of ross entrants are 3.3. I currently attend a very good private school in the midwest (Loyola) and as far as I know that's a relatively good GPA for a med school. U.S. schools' mean GPA for admissions are like 3.5, and a lot of schools have entrance gpAs of less than that (around 3.2-3.3 like finch, and southern state ones). So regardless I think ross rocks! I just hope I get in.

quote:
Well all i know is that i went to their school this past weekend. well actually I went to their office, and they had massively produced brochures which indicated that their GPA was a 3.3 (granted this is overall GPA score...the science was a 3.2). Nevertheless, these numbers have greatly increased throughout the years. Also may I add the thread about how transfer students from the Caribean will increase in number. Thus, one can clearly see that the difficulty of the admissions process abroad is gradually increasing so that they will be recognized by US standards.

Bottom line. Med school is med school.

peace

It is true that dknykid1980 was fully prepared to attend Ross (over SGU, in fact) and has made this vocally and repeatedly known on another forum (which can be referenced, if necessary). During some of those exchanges on the PlanetRoss forum, I was the poster known as "Get Real!" and had several exchanges with Mr. Kid. Those exchanges, in fact, pre-date much of my life here on SDN.

Thanks for pointing this out, jameslove. I, too, noted his hypocrisy previously in the pre-osteopath forum (some time back). He fully denied that he even wrote those, despite the fact that he uses the same AOL account that he still uses now. That makes him a not only a hypocrite, but a liar as well. He just doesn't seem to be very mature and/or capable of overcoming his phenomenal insecurities. It's the "go home and kick the dog" phenomenon that makes him feel better about his own weaknesses and shortcomings. Troubling personality traits for a future physician, no?

Finally, let's just say that "the kid" has not been very careful about keeping his identity completely anonymous. He should be cautious about what he says here lest some of the Ross graduates, who are current residents in some of Howard's post-graduate programs, along with the Howard University administration be notified of his behavior on this forum. Trust me, if they realize what he had to say here, he'll find his upcoming life on the wards (that is, if he actually passes Step I next spring and doesn't have to remediate), during his clerkship years to be quite difficult.

-Skip

sorry brother, thats hippocratic oath. Google *HYPOCRITE*. Goodnight.:p

Yes I was referring to the brilliant dknykid person, and urbandictionary.com will work just fine. What a piece of work , eh?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hahaha
I emailed him to tell him to come read the reply to this post.
He said "Thanks, but i think i'll pass."

hahaha:D

Well,
When I posted the very first of this three page shouting back and forth I was actually looking for some insight from people who knew about Ross and how likely the school would be able to educate me to become a US physician. I must of hit a hot topic huh? Never got any real direct answer. Lol, oh well, regardless, I've researched Ross myself and made many calls and spoke to the appropriate people, those unbiased but familiar with Ross also, and have determined that Ross WILL provide the opportunity to practice in the US. In fact, all clinicals are in the US and the curriculum has been audited and approved as comparible to US programs, that is why Ross students are able to do them in the US teaching hospitals. Also with a 82-95% 1st time pass rate of USMLE. There are so many Ross graduates now practicing in every field of medicine thoughout the US. You can verify this by simply doing a physician search and randomly look at the physicians medical school attended, I found Ross graduates frequently. That says something to me. I have applied to many DO and a few MD programs in the US, but also to Ross. I am determined to learn and to develope the clinical skills to become a physician. I fail to see the negativities applied to Ross that were discussed here, especially the phrase, "Diploma Mill" that seems to imply that they give you the degree no matter what? However, It looks as though you have to pass all the same classes, be it at Ross or in the US, (curicula modeled on US medical programs, many of the same texts). More importantly, you must pass the USMLE? Isn't that correct? If you pass the USMLE then I'd say that you gained an education that prepared you as well as any medical school in the US and that's what I feel I am looking for, an education, and I'm willing to work to get the best out of the school I attend. I fully understand that you could call Ross a business. Well that's fine with me because it seems that Ross is selling a product, a medical education. Furthermore, they seem to try to make that product the best that they can so that "customers" are satisfied...ie pass USMLE as result of the program of a developed medical science program then become physicians, residency etc... I'm fine with buying thier product since it seems to me that there are many satisfied customers!

thats honestly the best way to go about things.

Had I listened to many people on these forums I never would have come to Ross. I went with the advise of my father and friends, all of whom are in the medical field. I traded emails with a recent grad of Ross who I knew from my undergrad.

A lot of people on these message boards honestly know very little of Ross, if not nothing.
Some of the horror stories are true, this island is hooorible(in my honest opnion). But the school is improving monthly and is a lot different now than it was just 6 months ago or so from when Skip Intro was last here.

Besides the new 2 story building they've added to the campus with a new high tech classroom which is better than some of those I saw at my interviews in the states. They've destroyed one of the older buildings on campus to renovate it and really improve it. It was classroom 4 with the ICM rooms.

They're also going to start building 1st semester dorms, a big plus I think.

They're setting up a residency program so that the school doesn't look its accredidation? in both Texas and California.

Setting up new core rotations in Florida.

As for the USMLE 1st time pass rate, I believe the CEO of Ross said it was 88% last time he was here. I believe he also said the average score was 210 on Step 1. Which is a few points below the American average I believe which is like 215-220 overall.

Yes Imbebo I have also learned of the actual score average you mentioned. I've also spoke to many graduates, doctors now who are very successful due to a serious approach to thier education and goals. I interviewed yesterday in Michigan, seemed to go well. But, I still have some DO interviews and I'm waiting for word from my state MD program, doubt that one but we will see. Still though, I have no quams about joining you guys on the island at Ross. I intend to work and study very hard no matter where I go and I see no reason to feel that Ross would underprepare me for the real world of medicine upon graduation.

I do have a question about the 5th semester in Miami and how well that has prepared students for clinical education. I'm interested in stories about Ross students' feeling concerning how well they adapted or out performed or underperformed other students from US schools during clinicals? Thanks

bigdreamer#1, you just hit upon a particularly bad thread -- this forum has other threads confirming everything you've found.

Along with posting, do searches of the archives for all things relate to Ross. Much is fact, much is opinion (also important), while all on a message board is hearsay.

-pitman

I wish I could tell you, but unfortunatly I can't yet. Im only finishing my 2nd semester right now.

SkipIntro just finished the 5th semester I think.

There are few others who visit valuemd.com who might be able to help with that info more than I could.

I think there is also another site. www.rossmiami.com or something.

Not sure if its active or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lmbebo
SkipIntro just finished the 5th semester I think.

Skip Intro, actually, completed Miami 8 months ago, subsequently passed Step I, and has in fact already completed 1/4 of his clinical rotation weeks at U.S. teaching hospitals affiliated with U.S. medical schools in NYC. After completing his clinicals in the U.S. (side-by-side with U.S. medical students, he might add) and passing Step II - which is now the exact same test(s) that all U.S. students take - he will be entering the 2005 match with room to spare.

;)

-Skip

<-- a ways behind you.

just took, hopefully, my last test of the 2nd semester :)

Suppose one was rejected from Ross and SGU. What would the next best MD school be? Is AUC #3?
Thank you!

Originally posted by modelcitizen
Suppose one was rejected from Ross and SGU. What would the next best MD school be? Is AUC #3?
Thank you!

AUC.

I have never been embarassed of telling people I went to ross. As a third year resident I have had the chance to meet many ross graduates and other fmg's in top positions at hospitals. Including head of ICU and pulmonary medicine, ER, surgery etc.

Now, I did some research of my own, and found out that not every US school has a high USMLE pass rate, in fact some have lower pass rates than ross. HMMM, how about that.

It's also true that many ross students get higher USMLE scores than US grads.

Now, I'm not in here to put down any grad of any school. But for those immature individuals on this site who have way too much time on their hands, let me make a suggestion.

GO STUDY, BECAUSE WHEN YOU GET RESIDENCY, A ROSS GRADUATE MAY BE YOUR ATTENDING BECAUSE WE ARE EVERYWEHERE.

Ahhh... bumping an oldie but a goodie (lest anyone forget).

Skip Intro said:
Skip Intro, actually, completed Miami 8 months ago, subsequently passed Step I, and has in fact already completed 1/4 of his clinical rotation weeks at U.S. teaching hospitals affiliated with U.S. medical schools in NYC. After completing his clinicals in the U.S. (side-by-side with U.S. medical students, he might add) and passing Step II - which is now the exact same test(s) that all U.S. students take - he will be entering the 2005 match with room to spare.

;)

-Skip

Skip now has less than two weeks before he sits for Step 2-CK, and he's sweating bullets :scared: (but, knows he will be prepared and will do well).

Skip also recently completed a rotation at a U.S. medical school as a visiting student and sat side-by-side with real U.S. allopathic students. (Honest to goodness real, living, breathing, U.S. medical students... can you believe it? Everyone say, "OOOH.... AAAAH!")

Skip is also registered for the 2005 match, and has gotten through 80% of the Ross curriculum without absolutely no "hiccups". The light is at the end of the tunnel... and it's not a train.

-Skip

What? So you brought this thread alive again so you can brag? What's the point in doing so, this post obviously has no value to others except for yourself to gloat.

Skip Intro said:
Skip now has less than two weeks before he sits for Step 2-CK, and he's sweating bullets :scared: (but, knows he will be prepared and will do well).

Skip also recently completed a rotation at a U.S. medical school as a visiting student and sat side-by-side with real U.S. allopathic students. (Honest to goodness real, living, breathing, U.S. medical students... can you believe it? Everyone say, "OOOH.... AAAAH!")

Skip is also registered for the 2005 match, and has gotten through 80% of the Ross curriculum without absolutely no "hiccups". The light is at the end of the tunnel... and it's not a train.

-Skip

nabeya said:
What? So you brought this thread alive again so you can brag? What's the point in doing so, this post obviously has no value to others except for yourself to gloat.

Did you read the whole thing? This is a excellent thread as it points out the great lengths certain phenomenally ignorant people will go to discredit "alternate" paths to attaining a medical education. If one were to believe certain posters without further questioning them, one would be practially paralyzed by misinformation. And, as the old saying goes, "he who lives in glass houses..."

Read the whole thread. I will not let it die.

-Skip

We're talking about a post that has been practically dead, except for your 1 post in July, for 9 months now. It would be different if you were responding to a post from yesterday. You are just in a gloating mood, that's all there is to it. :thumbdown:

Skip Intro said:
Did you read the whole thing? This is a excellent thread as it points out the great lengths certain phenomenally ignorant people will go to discredit "alternate" paths to attaining a medical education. If one were to believe certain posters without further questioning them, one would be practially paralyzed by misinformation. And, as the old saying goes, "he who lives in glass houses..."

Read the whole thread. I will not let it die.

-Skip

nabeya said:
We're talking about a post that has been practically dead, except for your 1 post in July, for 9 months now. It would be different if you were responding to a post from yesterday. You are just in a gloating mood, that's all there is to it. :thumbdown:

Thanks, Dr. Freud, for your in-depth psychoanalysis. Any guess which field you're going into?

:rolleyes:

By the way, have you read the rest of the thread yet? If not, then why continue to comment at all? Feel the need to try to "put me in my place" or something. Hmmm... sounds like a "superiority complex" to me. ;)

-Skip

P.S. Around the last time we heard from "the kid" on this forum, he wasn't sure what the difference between cycloheximide and cyclophosphamide was... and, he's throwing rocks at me? :laugh:

Good thing you got kicked off ValueMD. :laugh:

Skip Intro said:
Thanks, Dr. Freud, for your in-depth psychoanalysis. Any guess which field you're going into?

:rolleyes:

By the way, have you read the rest of the thread yet? If not, then why continue to comment at all? Feel the need to try to "put me in my place" or something. Hmmm... sounds like a "superiority complex" to me. ;)

-Skip

P.S. Around the last time we heard from "the kid" on this forum, he wasn't sure what the difference between cycloheximide and cyclophosphamide was... and, he's throwing rocks at me? :laugh:

nabeya said:
Good thing you got kicked off ValueMD. :laugh:

You can't answer a simple question, can you? You haven't read this thread.

And, since you felt the need to bring that up as some sort of indictment against me, I'll have you and everyone else know that I wasn't "kicked off" or banned or anything else. I could very easily go back there right this instant to prove you wrong. But, I'm not going to do so just to disprove some ignoramus who doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Suffice it to say, that the site you mention is still going through some "growing pains" and the moderators are working through some learning curves. I left that forum of my own volition because one of the moderators, who incidentally lied about a PM he supposedly sent me, completely overreacted in my estimation, and because of this should not hold the position of moderator. So, I'm boycotting them until this one particular idiot (or any other more reasonable moderator) re-evaluates their error and/or feels it's time to remove the unwarranted, unnecessary, and untelegraphed "warnings" I got. In the meantime, their loss, not mine.

Anyone can feel free to go there, search for, and read the series of posts if they want; I'm not going to reference it here. (Lately, I guess a lot of people I've interacted with, and who apparently can't directly answer to their own motives in behaving a certain way or the issues I've laid in front of them, have felt the need to lie [including moderators] about their actions. How puzzling.)

If you don't believe me, I really dont care. But, if you (or anyone else) really need to know perhaps you can PM stephew, a mod both at this forum and the other, who'll verify everything I said here.

In the meantime, nice use of ad hominem and bringing up irrelevant issues that don't involve this thread, nabeya. You must be a real winner in the real world. :rolleyes:

-Skip

P.S. You'll notice that I've been a member here for over two years and, not once, have I received an official warning, had my account put on hold, or have I been banned. I credit the moderators here on this forum who (1) don't lie, (2) don't angrily fly-off-the-handle and overreact, and (3) generally don't seem to have their heads completely jammed up their anuses like certain mods at other forums.

People, you are people in the same sort of situation working towards the same kind of goals. Don't fight each other, but try constructive discussion. It may seem odd that Skip bumped his own thread, but who cares? if you don't like this, just don't post. If you have something to contribute, then do so. Everyone will be better served by it.

Hi. I am planning to go to Ross for the May 07 calss. Is anyone else going from NYC. Can anyon please tell me any information about the school and the people who go there. What are the lving conditions like on the islkand. Is it a safe island

Resurrection. Read the whole thread.

dknykid1980 said:
I laugh at those that dont believe going to the carib is a viable option.

First off, a MD is an MD wherever you go. Go to any hospital in the states. ALMOST all the good MD's are all foreign!!! You guys think this is an accident? Foreign MD's are better because they have more hands on experience and interaction with patients where those from the states dont necessarily have that opportunity.

I think the individual who said that one should go and talk to a carib alumnus said it the best. They wont lie to you about how hard it is, yet they'll tell you that they are just as qualified and in my opinion MORE qualified than US MD's and DO's for that matter.

peace

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=62220#post62220

Read what the "kid" says above. This is the only time he ever made sense. Read it in light of the pure unadulterated garbage he subsequently posted on this thread. I sincerely hope this individual has grown up since he finished med school and pulled his head out of his rear-end.

Here are the facts:

• I'm finishing my residency in Anesthesiology this year at a "Top 25" University-based anesthesiology program at a program in the northeast.
  • No one, including patients, med students, other residents, or faculty, has ever questioned my education or dedication to my patients.
  • No one has doubted my ability because of where I did my undergrad med.
  • I teach U.S. med students every day.
  • I teach junior residents from all variety of U.S. schools around the country every day.

Read this whole thread and realize some of the stupidity that exists out there. Recognized that it is extremely rare, but it exists. Recognize it for the insecurity it demonstrates in the individual posting it, and not in your own ability to succeed and overcome.

You will be judged by your actions on the wards and your ability to effectively care for patients. This will be paramount, and nothing more.

I've already interviewed for and will be taking a job in private practice next year. My starting salary? $265,000 with a $45,000 sign-on bonus that I will get on December 31st.

Know the truth. Do your homework. Don't believe the lies told to you by people with an agenda.

-Skip Intro

Hey pitman wil you PPI me. Please give me the pros and cons of ross. I am in the process of applying, but I am very worried. I keep hearing both great and bad things such as more than half of students don't make it through the program and the bad rep etc.... Please give me the truth so I can decide between ross and DO school. Thanx

steph

Half the students don't make it through the program because they have no business being doctors and don't have what it takes, or simply don't work hard enough. Ross at least weeds the weak out. Those weaker students end up going to SABA or St. Matthews, programs that are not approved by all 50 states in the US because their teaching/instructional medicine aren't good enough.

Would recommend St George U or Ross if going to the Caribbean, but would recommend trying to get in to US schools if you have a chance at all. Carib grads have some challenges getting in to the medium to higher competitive US residencies. Also the Carib schools tend to be expensive. It's somewhat risky to go there as going to a US school practically guarantees you a residency, whereas attending a Carib school doesn't...you could be stuck with huge loans and no residency.

However, having said that, all US schools were not created equal. Might be better to attend SGU than attend a US school with a lousy USMLE pass rate.

Agreed. I went to Ross and will be starting GI fellowship in July at an academic hospital teaching US med students every day as well.

Read what the "kid" says above. This is the only time he ever made sense. Read it in light of the pure unadulterated garbage he subsequently posted on this thread. I sincerely hope this individual has grown up since he finished med school and pulled his head out of his rear-end.

Here are the facts:

• I'm finishing my residency in Anesthesiology this year at a "Top 25" University-based anesthesiology program at a program in the northeast.
  • No one, including patients, med students, other residents, or faculty, has ever questioned my education or dedication to my patients.
  • I teach junior residents from all variety of U.S. schools around the country every day.

Read this whole thread and realize some of the stupidity that exists out there. Recognized that it is extremely rare, but it exists. Recognize it for the insecurity it demonstrates in the individual posting it, and not in your own ability to succeed and overcome.

You will be judged by your actions on the wards and your ability to effectively care for patients. This will be paramount, and nothing more.

I've already interviewed for and will be taking a job in private practice next year. My starting salary? $265,000 with a $45,000 sign-on bonus that I will get on December 31st.

Know the truth. Do your homework. Don't believe the lies told to you by people with an agenda.

-Skip Intro

Here are the facts:

-Skip Intro

hello skip,

i just want to thank you for telling the truth about carib med schools (especially ross) with such unwavering determination and want to congratulate you on your success -- it's pretty inspiring. i just finished my first semester at ross and want to get into anesthesiology someday, and i realized that at ross the best thing to do is to take everything one step (or semester) at a time. :thumbup:.

all i have to say is this. DO YOUR RESEARCH. DO NOT BE BOUGHT INTO WHAT people say about carib schools/ross. ppl will glorify it. although I attend a US school I have friends from carib schools. YOu will be stigmatized as a result of the known fact that anyone can get into a carib school. BELIEVE ME, just duke it out for atleast a year in the US application service.

Just think about it. do you really want a diploma from a carib pseudo med schooL hanging in your office, as well as be the butt of jokes in hospital lounges?

well back to studying. good luck though!

Last year, a student from Ross had the top Step 2 score. I'm sure this student was not Doogie Howser MD. This means that Ross can get you anywhere you want, including neurosurgery! How many patients with a clot about to pop will stop buy to examine the plaque hanging in that neurosurgon's wall. " ow look at me, I'd rather die that have a board certifed neurosurgeon from Ross save me life. You believe the hype about the AMCAS system. It is ridiculous and costly! Stop bashing carib med schools! Start bashing the guys who don't match from carib med schools and are now sh$t out of luck! Bash those people, not the school!