Ross University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you knew these things before you started, would you have still chosen Ross? Do you recommend going to Ross at this point in time (2018 and beyond). I appied there and interviewed recently for the May class, now waiting on a response. I guess what really turns me off about the school is the uncertainty of whether classes are going to be in Dominica or Tennessee in May, and obviously the attrition and match rates. I also applied to SGU.
Hey Areuben2, I guess you are shopping around for caribbean schools and have not chosen one. During my residency interviews, one place said that they want to stand out and be unique and will tell me the reasons why I should NOT go to their program. I felt that approach was fantastic. I will attempt to do the same:

Why not to go to ROSS....
1. High attrition rates... it is the truth when the representatives on the first day of class say "look to your left and look to your right, someone by the end of the 2nd year will not be continuing this journey with you".

2. Lower residency match in comparison to American schools. This is obviously the truth. Even though we have high match rates, you have to keep in mind how many people have NOT matched the first time and how many students graduate a year and did not attempt to match.

3. Residency matching into Fantastic specialties that are not primary care are quite rare. It is done, but very few.

4. You are taught to be self-sufficient. No hand holding or spoon-fed approach are seen. This is not an entirely bad thing. But you must always keep up with the policies, paperwork, homework, studies, and timeline. Ross will tell you by email, but by then it is already too late.

5. Exams written by professors at Ross are 75% significant to the REAL WORLD. The other 25% are questions that are debatable and opinion heavy that are base on what they believe is important (nutrition, ethics, stats). Those questions are the ones that are thrown out the door.

6. The subjects that is UNDER- taught is STATISTICS. Lets just say.... majority of ROSSIES step 1 and step 2 scores suffer here.

7. You cannot step into New Jersey and Pennsylvania to do electives. They are SGU heavy hospitals.

8.Professors at ROSS in Dominica are PHD and rarely MD or DO. So they know physiology, but the clinic aspect is lacking.

9.70% of Hospitals that are track program or elective sites are normally in poor deprived conditions. Meaning they have little resources and anxillary staff are horrible

10. OSPD TEAM- the ones Ross has hired to make sure students are on track to match. Their goal: keep ROSS match rate high! So they ask for our step scores and CV and which specialty you would like to go into. However, lets just say you are not the cookie cutter applicant, then they will suggest you a parallel plan. They are just trying to be real with you and bring you back to Earth with your choices. There are some Ross students who dream a bit too high for what they have. But the thing that makes everyone angry is that they always suggest to apply to FM and Psych as your parallel. This is done even though you hate these specialties. BTW, these specialties are getting more competitive and screening progress by the programs can smell the fakers. The choice/decision is up to you. It is your time and money. OSPD team could not even explain to me how the application ERAS works or what it would look like. So its up to you to listen.

That is all that I have. Cheers and choose wisely.
-mania'[/

Would you recommend Ross to anyone after knowing these 10 points?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen you say this before. Why won't they be able to maintain eligibility for federal loans and accreditation?

There are rules about who can get federal funding. Some of those rules relate to accredidation so if they lose that they will lose title IV eligibility and subsequent federal funding. Some of the rules relate to other qualifications on the quality of education, attrition rates, debt load of graduates, etc. Ross never had to meet the current criteria because they were grandfathered in when laws changed in the late 90's early 2000's. Currently, they do not meet the criteria used for federal funding qualifications. If they had to apply for federal loans/grants today, they would be denied. If they lose or get put on probation from CAAM or DMB (which is a real concern if they stay out of Dominica for very long), they will likely lose their title IV eligibility. If they overstay their "temporary" relocation, the DoE may not continute to look the other way.

This is a real concern and anyone who tells you otherwise either doesn't understand the regulatory process or is lying to you due to their agenda.

This is also not the entire story, as Ross is also currently under investigation federally and in a few states for misuse of federal funding and misleading/predatory recruitment practices. They are already in danger of losing federal funds, this "temporary" relocation isn't going to help their case.

There are rules about who can get federal funding. Some of those rules relate to accredidation so if they lose that they will lose title IV eligibility and subsequent federal funding. Some of the rules relate to other qualifications on the quality of education, attrition rates, debt load of graduates, etc. Ross never had to meet the current criteria because they were grandfathered in when laws changed in the late 90's early 2000's. Currently, they do not meet the criteria used for federal funding qualifications. If they had to apply for federal loans/grants today, they would be denied. If they lose or get put on probation from CAAM or DMB (which is a real concern if they stay out of Dominica for very long), they will likely lose their title IV eligibility. If they overstay their "temporary" relocation, the DoE may not continute to look the other way.

This is a real concern and anyone who tells you otherwise either doesn't understand the regulatory process or is lying to you due to their agenda.

This is also not the entire story, as Ross is also currently under investigation federally and in a few states for misuse of federal funding and misleading/predatory recruitment practices. They are already in danger of losing federal funds, this "temporary" relocation isn't going to help their case.

Do you have sources for this information? I’d love to read up on it myself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have sources for this information? I’d love to read up on it myself

This should get you started:

Regulations that Ross/AUC/SGU would not meet if they are dropped from grandfather clause. They would all lose federal funds immediately.
Text - S.850 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Foreign Medical School Accountability Fairness Act of 2017
Bipartisan, Bicameral Legislation to Ensure All Foreign Medical Schools Are Held to Same Standards | U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois
https://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10412.pdf

This is not new. For about a decade the government has debated with removing the grandfather clause for offshore schools. Interestingly, one of the first proponents of removing those funds was none other than our current Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
Med school calls for another rescue

regulations that shut down sister school to Ross and AUC (ITT Tech) last year.
Negotiated Rulemaking for Higher Education 2013-2014 -- Gainful Employment
ITT Tech Goes Out Of Business Following Federal Crackdown | HuffPost

FTC lawsuit
http://hcrenewal.blogspot.com/2016/01/who-can-you-trust-ftc-charges-devry.html
DeVry University Agrees to $100 Million Settlement with FTC

Of course there are no sources (re: Ross allegations), because it is a complete and utter fabrication.

What is the difference between American University of Antigua and Trinity School Of Medicine

-Skip

Why do you keep linking a thread where you look like an utter fool and didnt the mods tell you to quit harassing me?

See? This is what you do. You post half-truths and half the story and make it seem like there is a movement/crisis/impending resolution when there is not.

For example, the Durbin legislation you referred to was sent to committee (i.e., killed) on April 5, 2017 - almost a year ago. That means it will not get actioned.

Furthermore, Sen. Durbin routinely does this kind of thing, introducing this type of legislation, literally every time the thought crosses his mind apparently because he has some bone to pick. It has never been actioned. Doesn't stop him.

Durbin Introduces Legislation to Ensure All Foreign Medical Schools are Held to Same Standards | U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois

I'll leave it to everyone else to form their own opinion of his legislative prowess. (I have my own opinion, especially with recent events.) Best thing Illinois voters could do would be to not renew his tenure at the next election.

But, this is not news. You are, again, half-informed and telling some story simply to serve your own admittedly biased agenda.

This is not new. For about a decade the government has debated with removing the grandfather clause for offshore schools. Interestingly, one of the first proponents of removing those funds was none other than our current Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
Med school calls for another rescue

Ibid. And, nothing happens.

It's been going on longer than a decade, too, by the way.

New York Medical Schools Fight to End Caribbean Schools’ Path

States Accept Suspect M.D.s

Offshore medical schools growing

These schools serve a purpose. They have not been shut down. They are not in jeopardy of being shut down, despite what you want everyone to believe.

:yawn:

What does that have to do with anything? The answer: nothing.

Again, same comment as above. (And, Adtalem sold DeVry, by the way.) This has nothing to do with the operations of Ross and AUC. But, your argumentum ad absurdum is again duly noted.

Why do you keep linking a thread where you look like an utter fool and didnt the mods tell you to quit harassing me?

You engage in ad hominem when you can't answer or otherwise cogently respond to being called out on your misdirection and clear agenda. I speak to the facts you post and address your clearly biased comments. I reference your past posts so people stumbling into this forum know what they're dealing with. I have always responded to your posts factually, and I state who I believe you are based on your posting history. You simply hurl insults in response. I'm not sure who reported our exchanges to the moderators, but willing to bet it was you yourself.

-Skip

ITT tech was shut down for the exact same reason Ross will be... And Adtalem still needs approval for the sale of Devry, by the way.

It is not a a matter of if the grandfathered Carib schools will lose federal funding, it is a matter of when. So far they have dodged the bullet, but none of them have tried to work this loophole where they sit on US soil. That is what has changed and that is why Ross is way too risky right now.

I am amazed that you can in good conscious try to act like Ross and all of the students aren't in serious danger right now. It is one thing to defend your alma mater and quite another to try and deceive people into making one of the biggest mistakes of their lives.

I am amazed that you can in good conscious try to act like Ross and all of the students aren't in serious danger right now.

Define "serious danger".

(And stop putting words in my mouth, while you're at it.)

-Skip

I think the two of you are destined to go at each other forever

Last edited by a moderator:
If you knew these things before you started, would you have still chosen Ross? Do you recommend going to Ross at this point in time (2018 and beyond). I appied there and interviewed recently for the May class, now waiting on a response. I guess what really turns me off about the school is the uncertainty of whether classes are going to be in Dominica or Tennessee in May, and obviously the attrition and match rates. I also applied to SGU.

So I see that this has started a debate. Let me make this clear....my thread isn't meant for debate. Its meant for people to get the truth about ROSS from a current student's journey.

Lets just say, I wouldn't be in the current status of applying or interviewing without Ross. It was a tough journey in which at many times I could have thrown in the towel and gone home, but I just kept going day by day. You will meet a mixture of Rossies along your path who give you their input... current or alumni. One thing is for sure, despite all the **** that we have to deal with....we still created our own path. In regards to your uncertainty of location where classes will be held....I do not have any insight on that. I can truly say that the island of Dominica has changed me tremendously in personal virtues as well as the way I look at medicine.

Choose the route that is best for you and your situation. Understand what sacrifice means (that is what you will be doing for the next 4 years). GL

So I see that this has started a debate. Let me make this clear....my thread isn't meant for debate. Its meant for people to get the truth about ROSS from a current student's journey.

Lets just say, I wouldn't be in the current status of applying or interviewing without Ross. It was a tough journey in which at many times I could have thrown in the towel and gone home, but I just kept going day by day. You will meet a mixture of Rossies along your path who give you their input... current or alumni. One thing is for sure, despite all the **** that we have to deal with....we still created our own path. In regards to your uncertainty of location where classes will be held....I do not have any insight on that. I can truly say that the island of Dominica has changed me tremendously in personal virtues as well as the way I look at medicine.

Choose the route that is best for you and your situation. Understand what sacrifice means (that is what you will be doing for the next 4 years). GL
Thanks for the great response. I didn't mean to start a debate lol. Good luck in the match!

Now that the dust settled. Just an update!!!

Just finalized my rank list! It was such a tough decision that affects the rest of your life and had to re-certify about 3 times before I had the right combo. I wrote lists of pros and cons, response rate during the interview season, location, quality of interview, and my partner's thoughts. This list then became 3 separate categories titled :
1. YES, I can picture myself here
2. I can settle for this
3. Heck no, but if I must

With the list.... I separated the 13 programs that I interviewed from. It was pretty easy, but the hardest part was which had the higher ranking. 6 more days until the end of Rank List. 3 more weeks until Match day!

:boom::banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
So at the end of the day.... Gotta say... Someone will be having a good night. Work hard, remain focus, have fun and pass on your knowledge and support to others. To people whom have doubted this journey and those naive/crazy to take this IMG route... GL because I got to go party.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180312-171955.png
    Screenshot_20180312-171955.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: 9 users
So at the end of the day.... Gotta say... Someone will be having a good night. Work hard, remain focus, have fun and pass on your knowledge and support to others. To people whom have doubted this journey and those naive/crazy to take this IMG route... GL because I got to go party.
Congrats!!!!!! You deserve it big time!

Congrats!!!!!! You deserve it big time!
Thanks a bunch. It was the first night in weeks that I was able to sleep. By the end of this week, the where will be answered. None of my close friends had to SOAP! In fact, I found out that a person whom repeated this process 4 times, got a position this year in FM. Congrats!!!

It has been quite the journey... With obstacles mixed in with anxiety and stress.

I'm going back to Texas for my residency!!!!!!!!!!!!

So freaking excited for what's to come this July!!!!! Congrats to all the Rossies that matched! We did it!

Reactions: 3 users
Expanding further on this and to put it a slightly different way...

(1) You got the interview based purely by what was on paper, and the fact is that such a decision can get boiled down to a few parameters in a few minutes. Tacky the way you were notified? Maybe a little. (Ross is not in the business of being coy, after all.)

(2) Unless you have something seriously, deeply wrong with you that can't be hidden during the interview, you will also likely get a spot.

Now, I agree with the fact that Ross is as much a business as it is a "university". But, without going off on too much of a tangent and rant here, the U.S.-style M.D. is essentially a graduate technical degree that, if you have adequate intelligence and motivation, you can master no matter where you learn it. There's really nothing special or highfalutin about it, despite what Harvard or Johns Hopkins or Stanford would want you to believe. You get in, you learn the material, you take the tests, you become a doctor. This sequence must occur no matter which program you go if you want to practice here.

In that regard, Ross will likely give you a chance to go that path. The rest will be up to you. Like many who've walked in your footsteps before, I'm at least one anecdote and living example that it can be done, and they will deliver. And, my experience was essentially the same as yours, even to the point you are at now and even way back in 2001.

If a formula works, no need to change.

-Skip

I posted this 4 1/2 years ago. And here you are! Way to go.

-Skip

I posted this 4 1/2 years ago. And here you are! Way to go.

-Skip
I know right!!! Im so happy to have made it through this madness and finally make some money of my own. However, for the many who are considering the Caribbeans... much has changed since my start. I did hit a few bumps in the road and was always embarrassed that I repeated a semester. I knew this red flag was my Achilles heel along with low Sub-par step scores. Nonetheless, I pass the first time on all exams.
Here is what I did to offset this redflag:

-I did approximately 2 Family sub-i; 1 Family elective for 2 weeks; 1 IM sub-i and got strong letters from Attendings.
-Went to AAFP in Kansas at the end of July. Made business cards that included: name, picture, email, AAMC ID. Research prior to coming and composed a list of 20 programs that have matched Rossies and are IMG friendly. I carried CVs and personal statements (no programs asked for it though). Dress code: business (guys: shirts and ties, ladies: comfy shoes and business dress or suits)

-While at the conference: I hustled. I went to my top 5 programs first since everyone was fresh. Not tired and dry throat. I had a meaningful conversation that last 20 minutes with my list of 5 go-to questions that were delegated towards residents or directors. This is to offset any weird quiet moments. When talking to the program: get their contacts, maintain good eye contact, and talk like a normal educated person. ONE OF THE QUESTION I ALWAYS ASKED: BEFORE APPLYING THIS MATCH, ARE THERE ANY OPPORTUNITIES FOR ME TO VISIT YOUR PROGRAM FOR 1 DAY? From my survey, I got a 75% response with something along the lines of "hey, reach back out to us after this conference and we can probably set up something!!!! With that in mind, I did go to the ones that were in my top 20 list. That shows that I am more committed to their program and willing to do what it takes. This move got me one step closer than my competitors to getting an interview.
-From my background, I was trained in the art of networking so that helped tremendously! Keep in mind, some other programs off the bat will say they have never accepted an IMG....dismal... and just accept that you are not that special and move on ... take a pen to be nice. At night: compose and write down all the names/programs you talk to and what they sold about their program. This will be a good list to start from as you start to apply.

-Read: The successful match 2017 (red thick book) that costs about $35 on amazon. This book was on point and if you read from cover to cover since your third year.... you will maximize the usage. Worth all the pennies in your piggy bank. It goes into detail about the personal statements, cv, dinner etiquettes, how to correspond with programs, how to schedule interviews, what each specialty is searching for, and of course: HOW TO ANSWER QUESTIONS politically correct.

-Dinners the night before: AWWW man some of the programs give you the best food in the region with gifts to remember the state. Always try to eat before going. Enjoy the food, don't drink. Remember people are watching and seeing if they can stand working with you. Have fun, learn what the residents know, and ask them why they chose this program.

- Interviews: I always volunteered my subpar scores, but boosted it with how I have improved and performed on MSPE. I had a mixture of interviews that had group scenarios that forced applicants to work together; walking together around the hospital interviews; I even had an interview that was timed 15 minutes with program director (he was distracted with inpatient duties and cut the meeting short to 5 minutes)... lets just say that program was at the bottom of my rank list; I have met program directors that care nothing more than scores; I have even had group interviews (this one was the worse because I always felt like it was a pity chamber where the worse stories are placed out in the open... making all feel uncomfortable).

-Keep in contact: please feel free to talk and email all contacts after the interview. If they feel comfortable, you get cell phone numbers. Don't be annoying, but still keep in contact. I am old school and sent thank you notes that would reach them the next day. I only did this for the top programs that I can see myself at because it is costly via FED EX or UPS. Then during the holidays... I sent them another holiday themed card. Then in late January, make contact for the last time before rank list is sent out/ finalized via email. Be honest and truthful about whom you will rank number1 and who you will rank highly.

--- if I think of anything else, I will share. Chao!

I know right!!! Im so happy to have made it through this madness and finally make some money of my own. However, for the many who are considering the Caribbeans... much has changed since my start.
Can you be specific as to what has changed? More competition for residencies, etc?

Can you be specific as to what has changed? More competition for residencies, etc?
for sure, what has changed....
1) grading policies on the island is a start. They use to have an MPS that was the total of all the subjects combined. Now, it is per subject. So if you fail in one subject... you are screwed and must repeat.

2)Another change: the track systems for clinical rotation (this isnt necessarily a bad thing), but not all hospitals are the same quality. So your experiences aren't always the best.

3) Affiliates for clinical rotations: for sure there has been a shift in available hospitals because they have become affiliated with other medical universities. Which is why we lost NY methodist and NYU lutheran.

4) matching number wise: this year ECFMG published that there has been a comeback in matches. There were a lot of Rossies matching this year into high standing programs. The list is out. Of course, there are many who didn't match.

5) financial aid is different.... it is charge per week that you are in clinical rotations and not by semesters. So this past semester, many were hoping to get the semester's worth of refunds to pay for interviews, but couldn't. They had to scrape by with loans from friends/family or pull out emergency loans with different interests.

6) the match will soon be combined for both DO and MD. So you can bet that your competition will become even more ruthless. THIS IS THE MAJOR CHANGE COMING SOON.

Just read this on FM thread... thought it might add on to this thread

RESIDENCY MATCH TIPS FROM A PROGRAM DIRECTOR

USMLE RESIDENCY MATCH Tips from Dr. Schaeffer (P.D. SUNY BUFFALO)
Few tips from Dr. Schaeffer PD , SUNY , Buffalo
Question of the Day: "Is it true that programs do not download any more applications once
they receive the first 1000 applications that meet score criteria? And if so won't that happen much earlier than end of October?".
I can't speak for other programs universally, but I will say that many programs download throughout the first half of the season because we realize that some very good candidates aren't 100% complete with their application on September 15th, and if you only downloaded the first 1000 (which you could do on September 15th), you will miss some good candidates.
Are there some programs that take that shortcut and stop at 1000 applications, even if that means that they're done on September 15th? Sure, I suppose there are. But they are a minority of programs. Just like there are some programs that are all-out, and fill entirely by prematch. You will not have a shot at programs that are all pre-match and rely heavily on word-of-mouth reference.
For any program going through the work of ERAS and the Match, however, they should have learned by now that good candidates continue to appear in their queue through the early fall. After mid-October, more and more programs stop downloading and any applications in mid-November or December better be done with a good reason.
Most important qualities in IMGs..
.#1. English skills and some understanding of American idiom. #2. Medical knowledge with clinical application. Scores alone are nice, but not enough.
#3. Ability to work on teams - our medicine is all done on teams. #4. Work ethic.
#5. No strike outs (failures of courses, extreme time away, failures of CK).
Clinical experience is a plus, that is true. I know some companies have taken advantage of this. I think that this is one of the most difficult issues facing IMGs
Research experience is good as long as you can talk about the project knowledgably. The most important part of the project is NOT publication (although that is nice), it is gaining an understanding of how research proceeds and what basic knowledge is required. Most research people do NOT want to have to explain basic concepts. They want you to be able to join in.
Complete Application LATE or Incomplete Application EARLY
Both options are less than optimal, but as long as the delay is just 2 weeks, it is better to have a complete application. Programs will download new applications all through the process and will usually only stop downloading around late October. If your scores will be much later than 2 weeks, I would submit an incomplete application. A complete application on September 15th is the best.
Answer of the day: ECFMG certification.
The most selective programs may indeed only offer interviews to IMGs who are already certified. They will also be the ones looking at very high Step 1s etc. Many programs will certainly interview without certification. Many IMGs are a year or two out from medical school and are certified, and many are just graduating in the spring of that year and will not have certification. I would encourage you to apply without certification, realizing that some programs will screen you out.
Question of the Day: "Is it true that programs do not download any more applications once
they receive the first 1000 applications that meet score criteria? And if so won't that happen
much earlier than end of October?".
I can't speak for other programs universally, but I will say that many programs download throughout the first half of the season because we realize that some very good candidates aren't 100% complete with their application on September 15th, and if you only downloaded the first 1000 (which you could do on September 15th), you will miss some good candidates.
Are there some programs that take that shortcut and stop at 1000 applications, even if that means that they're done on September 15th? Sure, I suppose there are. But they are a minority of programs. Just like there are some programs that are all-out, and fill entirely by prematch. You will not have a shot at programs that are all pre-match and rely heavily on word-of-mouth reference. Those programs may already be done recruiting for 2014!
For any program going through the work of ERAS and the Match, however, they should have learned by now that good candidates continue to appear in their queue through the early fall. After mid-October, more and more programs stop downloading and any applications in mid-November or December better be done with a good reason.
Bonus question for Driday: "What I would like to ask is what exactly do program directors
look for in our personal statements ? Also can u advice us on how best can we represent
ourselves in our personal statements ?".
Personal statements are the most difficult piece of the application puzzle. I am aware of the paid services and I am aware that people often take a "just write x, y and z" approach.
The statements that I dislike (and this is a very personal opinion) are those that rely on extremely lofty or impersonal expressions like "I've always dreamed of being the best cardiologist in the world" or "I hope to discover the cure for cancer". These extreme statements make you sound unrealistic, not ambitious.
To be clear: We LIKE ambition, we DISLIKE completely unrealistic ideas.
We LIKE examples (i.e. if you are compassionate, tell me a story of a time that you *showed* compassion, not just felt it). We DISLIKE lists ("I have mastered the skills of x y z w a b c").
We LIKE humor, we DISLIKE overly personal or inappropriate language.
We LIKE stories about what motivated you, we have read, literally, >1000 stories about grandmothers and grandfathers with cancer/heart disease/diabetes. It gets boring. I tend to skip ahead over any sentence that begins "My grandmother blah blah blah"
We LIKE to hear about your future plans (see ambition), we want more DETAILS about those plans if you really have them. (Not "I want to be a rheumatologist", but "I want to especially focus my work on the diagnosis and care of patients with autoimmune disease because these patients make me think about a wide variety of diseases and they can be very challenging")
We LIKE to hear about your own life and how it's twists and turns led you to medicine. We DISLIKE when you skip over any failures or setbacks. If you have *anything* on your CV that looks like (or is) a failure, it needs to be addressed in your personal statement. This is a MUST DO.
Next question: " I have a question about couple's match for Internal Medicine residency for
IMGs."
Good question. This varies widely for each program. In general, to find two good applicants is a plus, and when we rank couples we have a general (not universal) policy of ranking them together. Why? Because we have found that couples who split up for residency have more problems and travel issues. This often translates into scheduling problems and occasionally, requests for transfer. If we saw a couple who were very different in terms of rank-ability, then yes, the better candidate is going to suffer in the rank list.
If we saw a great candidate and a so-so partner, would be upgrade the so-so candidate? Occasionally yes.
If you can't live without your partner or have a newborn should you consider splitting upn anyway? This is one of the most painful and difficult decisions couples have to make. I can't offer universal advice on this. Some people can make it work being in very different places, some cannot. You may not know for yourself until you try it out. If you decide to split up to maximize chances, have an honest conversation about what would make things change.
If you decide to couples match, be realistic about each application and apply accordingly.
Answer of the day: "Could you please share your opinion as to how foreign medical
graduates with YOG more than 4-5 yrs are looked upon? maybe 5 yrs since graduation ".
Challenging situation! Obviously, prolonged absences are not favorable. Each year counts against you for the following reasons: People who are out for a long time lose knowledge, no matter how much reading you do, you lose the practical knowledge that you gain from doing something day in, day out.
As a PD I get 4-6 calls every year from students as far out of graduation as 10 years. They often have good reasons for this delay in their training. Families, money, health issues are the most common.
However, they are a huge risk to train because our experience has shown us that they are much more likely to quit training and much more likely to not tolerate longer hours. These are two things that I can't risk.
So...in order to compensate for your time away, there are two possible tracks. One is to aim specifically for a program where you have done some observerships and have a personal relationship with someone who can testify to your work ethic and commitment.
The second is to address the deficiency directly in your personal statement. You *must* find ways to show the PD that your time away was for reasonable reasons and not because you are ambivalent about training. You *must* find ways to demonstrate your persistence, work ethic and "toughness".
So, there are some wrinkles in time away from graduation being entirely negative. So much depends on the specifics. Previous training is (usually) fine, a year or two to take Steps and get experience is expected. 2-3 years with no clinical work or beyond what is needed for Steps, USCE is the situation that will be a problem.
Question of the day: "I am an old img having completed a 4 year residency IM in my home
country. I would be interested and very grateful If Dr Christopher Schaeffer would kindly
share his views regarding such residency applicants."
Folks who have completed training have a special kind of application for residency. On the one hand, you possess a huge asset - your training. So much of what we do will be familiar to you, even if the systems are different. On the other hand, we worry as PDs that you won't be able to return to being the junior member of a team, taking directions from someone who will likely be younger than you.
So, your job is to explain in your Personal Statement why you want to move to the US for another round of training and that you will be *thrilled* to be the junior member of a team again and how will you deal with getting directions from people that may, at times, know less than you.
We have had a number of very successful folks who retrained with us, some even previously fellowship trained. We have also had at least one total disaster. So, it is important to acknowledge that IMGs with completed previous training have a special path.
Questions of the Day: "Will 2015 be the end for IMGs matching" and "Ideal length of a
personal statement/CV".
#1. This is the big elephant in the room of GME. Let's review some numbers. In 2013, there were 1.5 spots for every AMG. Or, 3 spots for every 2 AMGs. Who will fill that other spot? US Citizens training offshore and Non-Citizens training offshore or otherwise internationally. Even if US AMGs increase by 30% (the "target" number), it will be several more years before we see those students applying for residency (you can't just create medical schools out of thin air, or expand them too rapidly). Also, it is even unclear that US schools will be able to reach that target.
The truth is that Caribbean and DO schools are also expanding. Who will be in the toughest position when all these new positions come online (3 years? 5 years? 10 years?) IMGs for sure. Does this mean no IMGs will match by 2015? Far from it. In Internal Medicine, we have 6000 US positions for training and only 3000 AMG applicants.
We have long experience training IMGs and know that IMGs are often better qualified and make better residents than some AMGs. Well qualified IMGs will continue to match for the foreseeable future in the fields of IM, Peds, FM and Psych.
The final wrinkle that makes predicting all of this difficult is money, of course. If US GME positions are cut (seems possible) will that affect things? What if the cut only happens in specialty training? What if they actually expand IM/Peds/Psych spots?
There are a lot of variables.
The numbers will tell us if there is any trend this year. The number I will watch most closely is the number of AMGs matching into IM. Once that number starts to rise (and it would have to rise A LOT), that will spell bigger changes for IMGs.
#2. One page for your personal statement. CVs should not be more than 3-4.

for sure, what has changed....
1) grading policies on the island is a start. They use to have an MPS that was the total of all the subjects combined. Now, it is per subject. So if you fail in one subject... you are screwed and must repeat.

2)Another change: the track systems for clinical rotation (this isnt necessarily a bad thing), but not all hospitals are the same quality. So your experiences aren't always the best.

3) Affiliates for clinical rotations: for sure there has been a shift in available hospitals because they have become affiliated with other medical universities. Which is why we lost NY methodist and NYU lutheran.

4) matching number wise: this year ECFMG published that there has been a comeback in matches. There were a lot of Rossies matching this year into high standing programs. The list is out. Of course, there are many who didn't match.

5) financial aid is different.... it is charge per week that you are in clinical rotations and not by semesters. So this past semester, many were hoping to get the semester's worth of refunds to pay for interviews, but couldn't. They had to scrape by with loans from friends/family or pull out emergency loans with different interests.

6) the match will soon be combined for both DO and MD. So you can bet that your competition will become even more ruthless. THIS IS THE MAJOR CHANGE COMING SOON.
I have heard they recently changed the COMP pass score to a 70. Someone I know got a 68 and still failed.

Hi
Can you share your experience at Ross university how was the studies is it a good option to apply I considering for September class but need to know honest review

Here is my HONEST review.

I believe Ross is a decent school. There are many downs and ups throughout the 4 years that I attended. My goal coming into school was graduating, getting residency, and becoming board certified/licensed in the end. As you can see... Through hard work, patience, being "rossed" many times... I got 2/3 of the goals completed. If I had known of my options before dedicating to the MD route... I would have chosen PA.

Would I recommend going to Ross as a IMG school? Yes

Would I recommend ross as the caribbean school to graduate from? I am tossed between sgu and Ross. Both get US financial loans, both have reputation, both get a lot of matches for residency, both have phd teaching professors. Difference is tuition and clinical rotation sites. Sgu cost more and have different clinical sites.

With ross currently in TN, the student life (i suppose) is not as rigorous as it was when i was in dominica. Sure you have to study, but the conveniences of american stores/fastfood/ family access is there. You have to ask yourself, when Ross relocates its school back to the island (not sure when)... Can you adjust?

The exams... Can only speak for Ross. Sometimes the questions on there are the most irrelevant questions to medicine. You take an exam every 4-6 weeks of your life. Whether it is lecture exam, clinicals, shelves, comp1/ comp 2, step 1, 2cs, 2ck, 3. Prior to med school, i was very uncomfortable with my test taking abilities. I had anxiety going in. But after all the exams that i have gone through with ross... It just seems natural.

Would i say ross clinical hospital sites are on par with american counter parts? Some people say its how the student makes of their experience. However, how can the student make the most when the hospital is understaffed, undersupplied, and under resourced. Obviously, not all of Ross hospitals are like that ... Mount sinai, cleveland clinic in florida. But many students whom rotate in NY share their luster-lack experiences that mirror mine. So i would rate the clinical experience that i got a 5/10 from the 4 ross-affiliated hospitals that i rotated through even though i dig to try to experience the most that i can at each rotation.

In the end of the day... As i always say... It is your money and the time that you have purchased with that money. Once you have made your decision and go to Ross, dedicate the next 4+ years for yourself. This means: family/friends sometimes have to come 2nd and your personal life is dead last. If you decide to hoe around, do not adjust well to study tactics quickly, distracted, or go out most nights, you will become the statistic that Ross does not advertise. Those people who flunk out blame ross and become disgruntled and come on to SDN to vent. Please reflect upon this before commiting to medicine.

If you want to know more details on the highs and lows... Go and read the entire thread. GL

So as of now.... Just relaxing and chilling. However, I feel the need to study or keep fresh of what I have learned. Feeling nervous about my first day in the near future as I don't want to kill a patient. Anyone in the same boat or is this just my nerves?

So as of now.... Just relaxing and chilling. However, I feel the need to study or keep fresh of what I have learned. Feeling nervous about my first day in the near future as I don't want to kill a patient. Anyone in the same boat or is this just my nerves?

Just relax, hmania. You'll be fine. Enjoy your time now while you have it. And, as my chief resident once said during my internship, "Trust me when I tell you it's really hard to kill someone. Believe me, I've tried."

;)

-Skip

only weeks away before my big debut as a doctor. Many people in my shoes are extremely nervous, but who wouldn't. Right now, I am adulting and deciding on which repayment plans and consolidation of loans. For all those going into this route... just know you will be owing $400k in the end. Medical school at Ross should not be taken lightly as you may have read a gajillion times before.

so just an update before life gets too hectic. Next week will be orientation for me!!! super excited to meet my colleagues and future friends. I hope that many future Rossies will take into account that this could be your future in the next several years. All it takes is hard work and perseverance.

I just want to give a big shout out to @Skip Intro for all the comments and advice that you have wrote on here since the beginning of my quest. Now that I am on a different journey, I'll be sure to pass on the knowledge . :banana:

If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to reply here or PM. I'll get back to you when I can ASAP!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck starting residency, hmania!!

Look how far you've come since starting this thread! :)

-Skip

Well it's nice to FINALLY see some positivity here on the Caribbean forum.

Good luck with your residency and I'm sure your experience at Ross will help other students to see that they are certainly capable of succeeding as well.

When you start medical school, you’re terrified because you don’t know what to expect. When you start residency, you’re terrified because everyone suddenly starts calling you “doctor” (which is weird at first) and you’re writing orders and continuously believing you’re going to kill someone at first. Then, when you start independent practice, you’re terrified because everyone expects you to know exactly what you’re doing all the time and suddenly you are the attending with no one else above you to take responsibility if you make a mistake.

Basically, becoming and being a doctor is an exercise in continuous terror. But, always remember these two things: (1) you will always find people along the way who you can trust and run things by, (2) never be afraid to ask for help from those people when you’re lost.

It’s a both challenging and rewarding career. You are now at the starting blocks, not the finish line, hmania. Good luck, doctor!

- Skip

Reactions: 1 users
It has been a while since my last post as an intern. Now a PGY3. Yasss.... starting this year on inpatient hospital service.

For all my fellow Rossies out there, there is light at the end of the tunnel. You can do it if you believe in yourself, listen/take in good critiques from people who want to build you up. During my intern year, there were lots of ****heads in the program who never took the time to teach me and continued to put me down day after day. I contemplated much on quitting or transferring (neither options were good for a IMG grad who wanted to stay in Texas). As I started to take responsibility of my knowledge and actions, I learned that knowledge is truly key for happiness for yourself and patients. You can defend your thoughts and the reasons for ordering tests. You won't feel like a burden to the team. You take ownership of what type of upper level you want to be.

The toxic program has turned for the better once the upper levels graduated. Shifting the culture to a more nurturing environment is what we should all strive for.

My fellow Rossie grads are all in PGY3 year... how amazing is that once you remember all of the times you spent time in the freezing classrooms in Dominica eating bad chinese food (that you believed were amazing). Drinking the island tea or coffee from the cafe on campus. Ordering food about 1 hour advance in anticipation of hunger. Going to the local groceries to find that they are out of milk and eggs and name brand cereal. I miss the simplicity of Dominica and the life. All in all, I hope all those in Barbados and studying in MS3/MS4 years strive for their dreams and that COVID era will treat you kindly.

hmania

It has been a while since my last post as an intern. Now a PGY3. Yasss.... starting this year on inpatient hospital service.

For all my fellow Rossies out there, there is light at the end of the tunnel. You can do it if you believe in yourself, listen/take in good critiques from people who want to build you up. During my intern year, there were lots of ****heads in the program who never took the time to teach me and continued to put me down day after day. I contemplated much on quitting or transferring (neither options were good for a IMG grad who wanted to stay in Texas). As I started to take responsibility of my knowledge and actions, I learned that knowledge is truly key for happiness for yourself and patients. You can defend your thoughts and the reasons for ordering tests. You won't feel like a burden to the team. You take ownership of what type of upper level you want to be.

The toxic program has turned for the better once the upper levels graduated. Shifting the culture to a more nurturing environment is what we should all strive for.

My fellow Rossie grads are all in PGY3 year... how amazing is that once you remember all of the times you spent time in the freezing classrooms in Dominica eating bad chinese food (that you believed were amazing). Drinking the island tea or coffee from the cafe on campus. Ordering food about 1 hour advance in anticipation of hunger. Going to the local groceries to find that they are out of milk and eggs and name brand cereal. I miss the simplicity of Dominica and the life. All in all, I hope all those in Barbados and studying in MS3/MS4 years strive for their dreams and that COVID era will treat you kindly.

hmania
I remember reading your posts on SDN before I started at Ross, and now you're a PGY3!! I'm an MS3 at Ross now and passed step 1 a couple months ago. Thanks for the great advice and positivity you spread :)

I remember reading your posts on SDN before I started at Ross, and now you're a PGY3!! I'm an MS3 at Ross now and passed step 1 a couple months ago. Thanks for the great advice and positivity you spread :)
Any tips for the neuro exam? :p

Can current Ross student chime in how the schools if delivering classes? is it currently online ? how long will it be online versus going back to classrooms? thanks

Can current Ross student chime in how the schools if delivering classes? is it currently online ? how long will it be online versus going back to classrooms? thanks
Online for the forseeable future. Next semester is online, no official announcement for after that but some faculty have said it looks like that will be online as well. Classes are delivered the same as they were when it wasn't online only, through Panopto.

Online for the forseeable future. Next semester is online, no official announcement for after that but some faculty have said it looks like that will be online as well. Classes are delivered the same as they were when it wasn't online only, through Panopto.
thanks! so are students currently on the island or are they at home in the states? is there any issue with accreditation having a few semester delivered officially online versus on campus?

I have an interview at Ross on August 24th. If anyone has advice about the process and Ross in general please chime in. For others, spare the "don't go to a Caribbean school" slander. I am well informed of what Caribbean schools entail. Thank you!

thanks! so are students currently on the island or are they at home in the states? is there any issue with accreditation having a few semester delivered officially online versus on campus?
Almost all the students are back home, wherever that may be unless they chose to stay. Remote learning has been approved due to COVID restrictions so there isn't a problem with accreditation or against the LCME or other bodies. Whenever they tell Ross that the extension has been stopped we will have to return the following semester obviously but I don't see that happening for the near future given the US' poor handling of the virus.

I have an interview at Ross on August 24th. If anyone has advice about the process and Ross in general please chime in. For others, spare the "don't go to a Caribbean school" slander. I am well informed of what Caribbean schools entail. Thank you!
They will ask about a few moral/ethical scenarios like situations involving physician assisted suicide and whatnot. Nothing to really prepare other than your FAFSA. Jokes aside (partially at least joking) they'll also ask how you will be able to handle being far from friends/family as well as any big blips in your academic transcript but those are pretty easy to explain.

Almost all the students are back home, wherever that may be unless they chose to stay. Remote learning has been approved due to COVID restrictions so there isn't a problem with accreditation or against the LCME or other bodies. Whenever they tell Ross that the extension has been stopped we will have to return the following semester obviously but I don't see that happening for the near future given the US' poor handling of the virus.
A few things about this. First off, I can only assume that a pro to this situation is that students are saving a decent amount of money when it comes to cost of living. However, I would assume that a con would be that it is distance learning? I don't know, it just seems like when it comes to medical school, you definitely want the most out of it (i.e. dissection labs etc). But I could be wrong. Your thoughts?

A few things about this. First off, I can only assume that a pro to this situation is that students are saving a decent amount of money when it comes to cost of living. However, I would assume that a con would be that it is distance learning? I don't know, it just seems like when it comes to medical school, you definitely want the most out of it (i.e. dissection labs etc). But I could be wrong. Your thoughts?
You save on housing (~4.6k), most student fees (~1k), health insurance waiver (1k), and they froze tuition so it won't increase. The biggest difference to learning is mainly the clinicals are online. Most people never went to class in the first place but we all are hating distance learning mostly since we are alone and can't study in person with each other.

Also, we don't have "dissection labs" Ross uses virtual "Sectra tables" for gross anatomy.

Hoped your interview went well. Where did you end up going? Just seeing this post. Interviewed Ross Oct 2019 pre-Covid. Flew into Florida. Best Wishes

Hi! I was stalking this thread since my interview with Ross is tomorrow. Not gonna get into the details but i'm hoping for the best! Any updates from hmania or anyone who is a current student or recent grad feel free to message!