Ross University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aharris30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently went to a ross seminar and found it quite interesting (not in a bad way). But i was wondering what you guys think of this school. Would you consider this a top school and etc. So far ross is the only carib. school i have looked into but i will still check out the others. Please let me know what you guys thinks about this school positives and the negatives.
Also i know that you only spend a little over 16 months on the island then you head back to the U.S. for clinicals are all the carib. medical schools like this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It has a good track record and is one of only 4 carib schools that allow you to practice in all 50 states.

It does not seem to be the best choice out of the 4 because class sizes are huge, the clinical situation is a mess and will negatively affect students and the student atmosphere there seems caustic.

You could do a search here or vist valuemd site. There's a lot of info about Ross. Basically, it is one of the top 4 most established caribb schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little scared. I got invited for the interview, but I worry whther or not Ross is a big garbage dump. I had a bad experience at LECOM (I had practically no bio expereince), and I don't want such a thing to happen at Ross if I get accepted and matriculate.

It is a legit school, but you will end up taking care of yourself most of the time. You are better off gaining more science experience before you go to Ross because once you get there, there will be no help. Plus, if you fail one class, you repeat the whole semester!

I'm a little scared. I got invited for the interview, but I worry whther or not Ross is a big garbage dump. I had a bad experience at LECOM (I had practically no bio expereince), and I don't want such a thing to happen at Ross if I get accepted and matriculate.

Ross is a good school (as far as Caribb med is concerned). Though, the island is probably not the best.

Ross allows you to get licensed in all 50 States, it has a decent residency match list. The bad is Dominica, a complete dump of an island, the administration at Ross doesn't give a **** about their students, very high attrition, and only a third of their students graduate on time. If you fail one class at Ross, you repeat an entire semester. SGU in comparison has lower attrition, its still in a third world country, but it has the best campus out of all the Caribbean schools. We have a building dedicated solely as a library, unlike some other medical schools, AUC has a ghetto library with that never opens until late in the morning due to the lazy staff they hire.

:thumbdown: ah be quiet. If you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all. Mods, please intervene.

Oh and another thing, if you could not handle Lake Erie PA, you are going to die on the islands, trust me the Caribbean is not fun, in contrast to what most people say, especially the stupid idiot tourists.

Ive lived in Meadville, PA for almost 4 years (undergrad). I'm used to the cold and bitter snow. As someone who was accepted to LECOM, and several osteo schools, I think i have a clear understanding of what we (myself and others) are doing :cool:
I'm from the Philippines originally, lived in the conditions of a thirld world country, and by natural right, am an asian-pacific islander. I've actually lived in an island for a long time, bud. :D A caribbean island isn't any different. About hurricanes? Okay...in the philippines we have what you call "TSUNAMIS and TYPHOONS" which are far more destructive than the hurricanes in the carib lol :laugh:

USESOM here i come :laugh:

You would have been much better going the DO route than to a Caribbean program. Fyi, there are far more financial aid and scholarship programs through that route. Cold and bitter snow is nothing, but try studying for your boards without any light. stock up on kerosene for a lantern.

You would have been much better going the DO route than to a Caribbean program. Fyi, there are far more financial aid and scholarship programs through that route. Cold and bitter snow is nothing, but try studying for your boards without any light. stock up on kerosene for a lantern.

Too bad even DO schools rejected you...lol

Seriously! How do you get rejected from DO schools:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, im not you. :) I want to go to an allopathic route, and my choices arent yours, so squawk somewhere else. As for the financial aid, my family (coming from a family of medical professionals) can fully provide for my education (as they have done for my undergrad...which is 40 k a year :) )

Paying about 30k a year for USESOM isn't bad at all. Alot better than paying for 50k + for a US osteo school.

And why didnt you get into a DO school? At least i can say i was accepted to several osteo schools. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha... calling a Caribbean medical school an "allopathic," one is amusing. I'm a bit rusty on my Latin, but I'd describe them with a compound word comprised of the roots for "profit," "apathy," and "good luck."

Picking a Caribbean school over an osteopathic one because it is "allopathic," is pretty ridiculous, if you are basing your decision on the philosophy (allo vs. osteo). If you think you are going to be learning medicine in some philosophically distinct branch by going down to an island with a couple of thousand people in the middle of the Caribbean, you are in for a surprise.

Oh, and btw, the Pinas aren't the Caribbean; there are no Jeepneys, the locals don't look like you, and the food is crap in comparison (mmmm, dinuguan, adobo, pansit...).

Hahahaha, well i come from a family of medical doctors (all MDs...and dont believe in DOs), and my other option besides going to an osteo school was going to school in the Philippines. Which was an option, but they dont have USMLE exams over there (they have their own boards). And having a GPA within the 3.3 tier, i wasn't risking applying to Allopathic schools in the states. So USESOM was one of my top choices.. Im an adaptable guy, lol. I'll get used to it. I adapted to US life didnt I? hahaha

PS. so you've eaten diniguan and pancit eh? hahaha meron ka na ba amigong pinoy at pinay dyan? Eh...pinoy ka na ba? :rolleyes:

No offense, but you should not ignore DOs based on your family members becoming all MDs. You could be the first to become a DO, and then become a new branch in your family(or something along those lines)

Thought about it. But my decision is final.

You do realize that the school you are going to won't allow you to be licensed in all 50 States, you might want to think about that. Only three Caribbean schools allow licensure in all 50 States, SGU, AUC, and Ross. DOs can get licensed to practice in all 50 States, and I have a hard time believing that you got into a DO school and are going to some Diploma mill instead.

Yeah why would you pick USESOM over the other reputed medical schools. If you got into DO programs, you shouldn't have any problems getting into SGU or Ross.

If you had a bad experience at LECOM, you are going to look for a pack of sleeping pills and a bottle of Vodka to put yourself to sleep permanently on Dominica. Erie, PA is the lap of luxury next to Dominica or even Grenada.

I didn't have a bad time because of the climate!!! (I have lived my entire life in Northeat or Great Lakes region) I'm used to the cold weather.

I had a bad time at LECOM, because I was a chemistry major who struggled with the biology material. I did not have enough biology as a college student to make the adjustment easily.

Hi, everyone. What can be a good reason to ask for defered admission into Ross. I have an interview the 29th for Jan 2008. I would like to defered until September if I am accepted. Thx for responding

If you were struggling at LECOM, you will struggle at Ross as well.

This coming from a person who hasn't even begun medical school yet. You have no crediblity :thumbdown:

You were pumping SGU over the other Carib schools non-stop and yet you didnt even get into a DO school....stop crying already

If you were struggling at LECOM, you will struggle at Ross as well.

When did i say im going to saint james? LOL! I said im going to visit the island.

Please keep this thread on topic. If you disagree with a post, then feel free to disagree with the content of the post without reference to individual posters. If you have a comment that is directed to an individual poster, then use the PM (Private Message) function. Debate is encouraged at Student Doctor Network but name-calling and insulting posts are not. Thank-you.

So what is the typical/ acceptable GPA and MCAT range for Ross?

Anyone?

Did you graduate from Ross?

Anyone?

In the past many students have complained about problems with scheduling clinicals. I think it should be noted that, this fall, Ross created additional staff positions to expand its clinical affiliations. Today students were sent an email about their results thus far (hopefully things will only continue to improve):

" also wanted to tell you that the University has just completed an expansion of its core clinical rotations at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center in Brooklyn.

The agreement was signed on 12/19/07 and will increase the number of guaranteed core positions from 64 to 112 beginning in 7/1/08. There will be increases in OB, PEDS, IM, SURG and FM core rotations.

Please keep in mind these positions are now guaranteed in quantity so that the unfortunate practice of "bumping" will end. These positions are not add-ons to the number of students at Wyckoff but rather Ross students are replacing students from other international schools at Wyckoff.

This agreement along with the signed agreement with Caritas last month have increased the number of core rotations at these two hospitals by 98 positions/week. Hopefully this will help decrease the wait time for core rotations.

The signing of these agreements was the effort of many people at the University: Dr. Tom Shepherd, President, Nancy Perri, MD, Vice president, John St. James, Chief Financial Officer, and Willie Raymoundo, Finance , as well as many people over at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center.

There are several other opportunities that we are working on. Unfortunately this time of year, everything slows down as people are out of the office for the holidays. I will communicate with you again later this month with further updates."