ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msa786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it true if u fail only 1 class they make you take the whole semester over again? Is the retention rate very high?

Members don't see this ad.

is it true if u fail only 1 class they make you take the whole semester over again? Is the retention rate very high?

Yes it is.

About 300-400 start and about 150 finish on time. You connect the dots.

I go to Ross. When I started in Jan 04, the rule was if you failed one, then you retook that class and did research (just write one paper). Students complained b/c they were not getting the financial aid b/c one class was not even considered part time. So they changed it to fail one, repeat all.

In April 2005 when I left Dominica, the rule changed to: Fail 2 out of the 5 in semester one--kicked out of Ross. Fail one, repeat all. Fail 2 in any other semester, repeat all and probation. Fail anything else and you're gone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended a Ross Seminar yesterday, and the information provided by smck27above is exactly what I heard.

If you fail one class, they make you retake the whole semester (rather than adding on the failed class to the next 21 credit semester load). Their logic is that repeating all the classes will be to your benefit anyway: more exposure to the material..and perhaps easier the second time around since you've seen it before.

When you repeat the whole semester do you wait one year till its offered again or will the semester be offered again the next semester? In other words, when do you get to repeat the semester you failed?

When you repeat the whole semester do you wait one year till its offered again or will the semester be offered again the next semester? In other words, when do you get to repeat the semester you failed?

You will repeat it immediately (they have 3 start dates a year: Sept/May/Jan). For example if you fail Biochem in Sept, you will repeat it in January. But if you failed Biochem and Anatomy 1 your first semester--you are expelled.

You will repeat it immediately (they have 3 start dates a year: Sept/May/Jan). For example if you fail Biochem in Sept, you will repeat it in January. But if you failed Biochem and Anatomy 1 your first semester--you are expelled.

Just to add, if you are worried about failing any classes, then you are definitely not ready to start medical school. Failing is not on the agenda, only getting the hiest mark possible.

well failing is not on anyone's agenda i am sure but we are all human and mistakes hapen and since Ross has such a high retenton rate i think that should send a red signal to those prospective students that something is wrong with their curriculum

well failing is not on anyone's agenda i am sure but we are all human and mistakes hapen and since Ross has such a high retenton rate i think that should send a red signal to those prospective students that something is wrong with their curriculum

You do not understand. Failure is not an option when we are forced to apply to a last-chance Carib medical school. Allowing that thought to even enter your mind corrupts your ability to succeed.

Ross makes you retake it because they have probably seen that those who fail one course in a semester cannot move on to a more difficult semester and succeed. It is better to repeat everything than to move forward and fail even more.

OR,
There is something wrong with the student. Or, It rained too much and there was something wrong with the island. OR, whatever.

If you go to ross, you must enter with the WILL to succeed. Period.

Study your A$$ off. Don't go there to meet your next girlfriend, or to make a bunch of new buddies or anything else but STUDY YOUR A$$ OFF.

You life on that island should have one single minded, absolute focus on learning as much as you can and getting the highest scores possible.

THATS IT.

I hope I made that very clear. Because if you don't do that. And get kicked out after the first semister, you are out about 20K. If you lose focus and get kicked out towards the end you may be out around 100K.

I don't know about you, but being out 20 to 100K and no degree to show for it would scare the hell out of me.

STUDY, LOTS.

:thumbup:

If you're kicked out, you get an appeal hearing in front of the promotions committee to ask them to let you repeat. But most student's arguments are not strong enough for them to grant it. Some get to repeat, but most don't.

If you're kicked out, you get an appeal hearing in front of the promotions committee to ask them to let you repeat. But most student's arguments are not strong enough for them to grant it. Some get to repeat, but most don't.

Your posts mean nothing without posting pics of yourself...especially with that username...:hardy:

OR,
There is something wrong with the student. Or, It rained too much and there was something wrong with the island. OR, whatever.

If you go to ross, you must enter with the WILL to succeed. Period.

Study your A$$ off. Don't go there to meet your next girlfriend, or to make a bunch of new buddies or anything else but STUDY YOUR A$$ OFF.

You life on that island should have one single minded, absolute focus on learning as much as you can and getting the highest scores possible.

THATS IT.

I hope I made that very clear. Because if you don't do that. And get kicked out after the first semister, you are out about 20K. If you lose focus and get kicked out towards the end you may be out around 100K.

I don't know about you, but being out 20 to 100K and no degree to show for it would scare the hell out of me.

STUDY, LOTS.

:thumbup:
I usually don't even reply to these threads because in my experience those most concerned about failing, and obsessing over retention rates etc. are usually the very same ones who go ahead and end up failing...something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. With that said, it is good to be informed, but those seriously considering the caribbean as an avenue to a medical education should have a fairly keen sense of their academic abilities and should gauge their future plans accordingly. I would never have gone this route if I was not 100% convinced that I would thrive given half the chance. ( notice I did not merely say "pass". I would reevaluate my chosen career if I was concerned about simply passing. I apologize if that seems harsh....but being $200,000 in debt with nothing to show for it is a bit harsher I would think.
During my time on the island, the same individuals who bemoaned Ross' strict failing policies, were the same ones bemoaning the minimum passing score, or the unfair questions on ethics, or the other myriad of topics they chose to dwell upon to the neglect of the important issues....Read: USMLE, USMLE, USMLE. To this day, in hospitals I have certain students ask me about deadlines for residency applications, registering for the CS etc..but ask them about Ross' failing policies.....they could deliver you an hour long diatribe delivered with gusto, relishing in "how hard 'we' have it".:rolleyes:
Medical school is no stroll in the park, but is only about 1/4 as difficult as many make it out to be. Read, read some more, take exam, party, sleep, wake up, repeat. Failing???? Whats that?:smuggrin:

Dude, when I was going to SGU, I didn't even think about failing. During orientation, our Dean of Students gave a speech that while C might have equalled MD in the past, it was no longer the case today. So I focused on getting at least B or better. Oh, and study your a** off for Step 1 and Step 2 because they're the tests that really determine whether we're equal to the US grads.