rotation ending too soon, worried about how evaluations will impact us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiegrub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was in a rotation with a difficult preceptor who wanted me to do nothing and come time COVID-19, he called off the rotation since it was too unsafe to continue. Last week when I asked for his summary of my performance, he had issues with some of my questions. Leaving the site, I felt inadequate in a way I have never felt before because I really did try to meet expectations. It has been biting me this whole weekend and now weekday because due to the abrupt change in rotations, there was simply not enough time to stop from looking like an idiot. It happens though with me that it takes time for me to finish my material for the rotation and show progression in my understanding but for some reason I felt I got judged too harshly. I am worried now on how this will be viewed as I have never had this experience and feel robbed LIKE MANY students out there during this time. I understand why this quarantine is happening and I wouldn't question it for the world so please don't take it in that direction. I am genuinely concerned and I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was in a rotation with a difficult preceptor who wanted me to do nothing and come time COVID-19, he called off the rotation since it was too unsafe to continue. Last week when I asked for his summary of my performance, he had issues with some of my questions. Leaving the site, I felt inadequate in a way I have never felt before because I really did try to meet expectations. It has been biting me this whole weekend and now weekday because due to the abrupt change in rotations, there was simply not enough time to stop from looking like an idiot. It happens though with me that it takes time for me to finish my material for the rotation and show progression in my understanding but for some reason I felt I got judged too harshly. I am worried now on how this will be viewed as I have never had this experience and feel robbed LIKE MANY students out there during this time. I understand why this quarantine is happening and I wouldn't question it for the world so please don't take it in that direction. I am genuinely concerned and I don't know what to do.
Have you raised your concerns with your student officers and with your student dean? The clinical evaluation ultimately plays a role in your evaluation letter for residency, so the curtailing of many rotations is a problem for all affected students that I would hope your academic curriculum dean and faculty need to be aware so they can see if there's anything that can be done.

Have you raised your concerns with your student officers and with your student dean? The clinical evaluation ultimately plays a role in your evaluation letter for residency, so the curtailing of many rotations is a problem for all affected students that I would hope your academic curriculum dean and faculty need to be aware so they can see if there's anything that can be done.
There are procedures in the works where it seems we still get to complete our rotation through other assignments but nothing specific addresses a lackluster impression that was unfairly left in the midst of this crisis. I dont think anyone knows what to do because all these decisions are being made so abruptly without communicating with students in an organized and succinct manner.