Rotation Essentials

Started by UF12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UF12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone

I will be going on rotations next year and was wondering if there is any books/apps that would be useful while on rotations. I have a subscription to lexicomp already but I see a lot of students carrying around some smaller books in their coat pocket.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought the PharmPrep app was a little pricey but it did quiz me and help prepare me for some of the important points for my hospital rotations.

I thought RxPrep gave good overviews on topics and had useful condensed refresher lessons for me to study. I actually bought the 2012 edition at the start of my rotations to help with the refresher lessons and then I bought the 2013 edition to help study for the NAPLEX. This was the most useful resource by far.
 
Only thing I really used was UpToDate on my Nexus 7 (which fits great in a labcoat pocket). Depending on the rotation, I also would have some powerpoints or pdfs from the lectures relating to what we were doing. Didn't really carry any books around though (that is so 20th century).
 
Do: Sanford guide, tablet with appropriate apps, two mini snickers bars

Don't: Smartphone, nintendo ds, Tarascon
 
On rotations, I used LexiComp, DynaMed, and DropBox (for lecture & chart PDFs).

LexiComp is good as an overall drug reference.

DynaMed is organized & concise. I could search for a topic and find an easily accessible list of evidence-based links. Think of it as PubMed but quick & dirty. It's also updated more frequently than UpToDate. I recall having to d/l it the app itself, then d/l something else like AccessPharm (or something similiar) at the school library. A library staff did it for me.

If you want to be kept up to date on AmCare, join Essential Evidence Plus & sign-up to the daily POEMs sent daily to your email. Had an AmCare preceptor that hounded me on a daily basis on the latest breaking news.
 
Last edited:
On rotations, I used LexiComp, DynaMed, and DropBox (for lecture & chart PDFs).

LexiComp is good as an overall drug reference.

DynaMed is organized & concise. I could search for a topic and find an easily accessible list of evidence-based links. Think of it as PubMed but quick & dirty. It's also updated more frequently than UpToDate. I recall having to d/l it the app itself, then d/l something else like AccessPharm (or something similiar) at the school library. A library staff did it for me.

If you want to be kept up to date on AmCare, join Essential Evidence Plus & sign-up to the daily POEMs sent daily to your email. Had an AmCare preceptor that hounded me on a daily basis on the latest breaking news.

+1 on dynamed. I <3 Dynamed.
 
+1 on dynamed. I <3 Dynamed.

I was one of the rare students in my class to even utilize it. The others students on my rotations were like, "What the hell is that.... looks complicated."

If I was strapped on time, DynaMed was a lifesaver, soooo much more quick than sifting through all those PubMed links. I used it on a daily basis, especially w/preceptors that would say, "Okay that's fine & dandy, but what does the latest evidence say?"