IPPE 2 Community Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saisri_PharmStdnt

Class of 2023
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Writing this as a student, not a moderator :)

I have a CVS Community rotation (IPPE 2) beginning 5/11, the week after finals.

Aside from the "Turn back now" conversations, is anyone able to provide insight on what would make for a good student in your eyes, if I was to walk into your store?

I know the preceptor from doing an IPPE 1 visit at his store, so I made a good enough impression that he was happy to have me back for IPPE 2 (and I'm hoping for APPE here as well). So besides doing my LEARNets quickly on Day 1, what other advice can you offer? I want to make to the most of my rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Rotations are mostly about attitude IMO. Be friendly and eager to learn/participate.

In practical terms, have a notebook and try not to ask the same questions more than once.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second that being eager to learn is important (ask good/relevant questions). I will also emphasize being proactive. So, helping out the technicians and being of use w/o being asked. Also, be on time every day.

From a retail perspective, be prepared to counsel patients on their medications (review general counseling points). If you get stuck on a particular med, you can always give a baseline comment by reading off the auxiliary labels.

Reactions: 3 users
For a pedestrian ambulatory rotation like CVS, I would specifically make it a point to learn the computer system and the workflow, even if you are demoted to tech with counseling privilege for a bit. Basically, be accepting of all the minor tasks involved such as stocking, filling, and other mundane tasks. If the preceptor does not teach you anything, you can still learn from observation. I hope the preceptor does teach you about the verification workflow and something about how inventory systems are managed in CVS if you have never worked there. Substitute CVS for any chain pharmacy, and the advice is still the same. Don't get involved in tech or pharmacist politics.

Reactions: 5 users
For a pedestrian ambulatory rotation like CVS, I would specifically make it a point to learn the computer system and the workflow, even if you are demoted to tech with counseling privilege for a bit. Basically, be accepting of all the minor tasks involved such as stocking, filling, and other mundane tasks. If the preceptor does not teach you anything, you can still learn from observation. I hope the preceptor does teach you about the verification workflow and something about how inventory systems are managed in CVS if you have never worked there. Substitute CVS for any chain pharmacy, and the advice is still the same. Don't get involved in tech or pharmacist politics.
The preceptor at this store is a pretty great guy. When I was there for the 4-hour visit in the fall, he started showing me a little of the verifications he did (while teaching his 4th year APPE student), he explained his process with controlleds, and made a point to include me in all conversations - even if it wasn't something I had learned yet.

When I wasn't watching him with his screen, I was helping pull bottles for the APPE student, and returning them to the shelves when she was done. I appreciated her having me to do this because I started to get familiar with what meds were where (most alphabetical, but they had their higher-use medications in different places, closer to where they fill - made total sense once I started to get the feel for their layout.) I wanted to "keep busy" and not just stand there and stare at them. The APPE student also taught me a little about her screen, how she fills, etc.

Do I remember it all? No, but I'm hoping it at least is familiar when I go back.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t work at CVS, but I agree about being proactive - try to pick up phone calls, go to the window, etc without having to be asked to do it. It is something that makes a good impression and shows you are a team player. I’ve also had interns that were never on time and that would definitely play a factor if it came down to recommending them for a permanent position later on. Good luck!

Thank you, everyone, who contributed so far - I truly appreciate the info. If anyone else would like to chime in, it would also appreciated :)

All earlier advice is good. My main thing is I ask the student where are you leaning (clinical or retail). Be honest. I try to tailor what I emphasize more (either more clinical/interaction and general drug questions vs emphasizing the down and dirty of retail, like metrics, budgeting, etc). Main thing is just act like you want to be there and appreciate the preceptor taking the time to have you at their site. I don't have a problem with a student having no desire to do retail, but don't mope around and have an attitude that you're too good for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Writing this as a student, not a moderator :)

I have a CVS Community rotation (IPPE 2) beginning 5/11, the week after finals.

Aside from the "Turn back now" conversations, is anyone able to provide insight on what would make for a good student in your eyes, if I was to walk into your store?

I know the preceptor from doing an IPPE 1 visit at his store, so I made a good enough impression that he was happy to have me back for IPPE 2 (and I'm hoping for APPE here as well). So besides doing my LEARNets quickly on Day 1, what other advice can you offer? I want to make to the most of my rotation.

Just be nice and honest with preceptors and bring in donuts and food ect when you can. Preceptor to student is a human relationship, if you get stuck doing something you don't want tell them, or if you want to learn something---tell them. I had some notoriously hard clinical preceptors (my classmates would get stuck in the hospital for 12 hour days), I was honest with them- super clinical did not really interest me and I told them my dreams for industry. Many appreciated the honesty---no one wants to waste time teaching when a student isn't learning.

This is a good point. I would really appreciate a student who could articulate exactly what they want to get out of a rotation. I always ask my students during orientation what they want to get out of my rotation and the usual response is to look like a deer in headlights.

I think if anyone ever truthfully said “an A” I would have to give them the A right then LMAO

Just be nice and honest with preceptors and bring in donuts and food ect when you can. Preceptor to student is a human relationship, if you get stuck doing something you don't want tell them, or if you want to learn something---tell them. I had some notoriously hard clinical preceptors (my classmates would get stuck in the hospital for 12 hour days), I was honest with them- super clinical did not really interest me and I told them my dreams for industry. Many appreciated the honesty---no one wants to waste time teaching when a student isn't learning.

Reactions: 1 users
Those are excellent points.

I do plan on staying PBM after I graduate, but I see value in understanding how retail operates, how retail impacts the work we do on our side, and how PBM impacts retail. I know the relationship even between 2 sides of the same company isn't all roses. I see the importance in understanding the bigger picture of pharmacy, and not just the niche you plan on staying in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are excellent points.

I do plan on staying PBM after I graduate, but I see value in understanding how retail operates, how retail impacts the work we do on our side, and how PBM impacts retail. I know the relationship even between 2 sides of the same company isn't all roses. I see the importance in understanding the bigger picture of pharmacy, and not just the niche you plan on staying in.

I finish up the semester as well on May 6th. My IPPE2 community site (Rite Aid) was pushed back to the last 6 weeks of our summer term before the Fall semester in August. I'm a bit disappointed that my 6-week Health-System Hospital rotation at a VA site was cancelled and instead I'll have to do supplemental online learning modules in its place (not sure yet how that's going to work).

I was going to post something similar on here in a couple weeks so thanks for reading my mind lol. I like the points put out on here as well!

Side note: I tip my head to you for being in an online pathway and having some form of immunity built up while the rest of us try to adapt to switching to online courses! Being in an accelerated program is straining my brain as it is, let alone trying to cram the same info purely online!

Reactions: 1 user
Just be nice and honest with preceptors and bring in donuts and food ect when you can.

A poor student bringing in food and snacks for a well off preceptor? It should be the other way around. The preceptor has plenty of cash flow, the least they can do is bring food for their student who pays tuition to work for free for them.

• Hmm
I finish up the semester as well on May 6th. My IPPE2 community site (Rite Aid) was pushed back to the last 6 weeks of our summer term before the Fall semester in August. I'm a bit disappointed that my 6-week Health-System Hospital rotation at a VA site was cancelled and instead I'll have to do supplemental online learning modules in its place (not sure yet how that's going to work).

I was going to post something similar on here in a couple weeks so thanks for reading my mind lol. I like the points put out on here as well!

Side note: I tip my head to you for being in an online pathway and having some form of immunity built up while the rest of us try to adapt to switching to online courses! Being in an accelerated program is straining my brain as it is, let alone trying to cram the same info purely online!

I don't know how much immunity I have built up - haha! At least prior to COVID, we could log in, watch a synchronous lecture, and see the professors interacting with students. Now we have recordings of Professors teaching a slide deck to the slide deck. hehe

For us, our labs are being moved, which is why they had us do our IPPE 2 right after finals. The labs are currently slated for July, but I think they are either going to be postponed to a later date or be moved online (though, I suppose they can do some combo of those 2 scenarios).

And hey, props to you for doing an accelerated program - I couldn't even imagine...

A poor student bringing in food and snacks for a well off preceptor? It should be the other way around. The preceptor has plenty of cash flow, the least they can do is bring food for their student who pays tuition to work for free for them.
I had alot of classmates that thought like you....they didnt have nearly as much fun as me P4 year
In my culture food and small gifts are signs of appreciation to a mentor and many of my preceptors not only appreciated them but remember me specifically out of the herd of students they have to precept

• Hmm
I feel weird when students get me gifts. Not bad though, just weird. Food I do not feel bad or weird at all. I gave food as a student and I don’t mind at all when someone brings in food for the group. ;)

I had technicians bring me breakfast and stuff... they must know how much student loans I have.

Reactions: 1 user
Right?

I think focusing on who has more money misses the point of gift giving. I have bought lunch for my students and I have had them buy lunch for me. It’s only weird if you make it weird.

At first I felt a little weird when students bought me presents but now I accept them in the spirit they are offered.

If the pharmacist(s) and techs see reduced workload from you being on their shift, they'll notice it and you will be appreciated. As long as you aren't slowing down their workflow and have a team-oriented attitude, you will make a good impression in the store. Some things I found annoying when working with students is when they ask repetitive questions and when they spend more time on their phone than trying to be proactive.