Rotation Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmandaL444

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 2nd year at LECOM-Bradenton and could really use some advice about 3rd and 4th year rotations (we really haven't received much info. about at school). I understand that there is a list of "core affiliate" hospitals at which most students complete their rotations.

However, does anyone know if you can set up your own core rotations at other hospitals? For instance, if I'd like to do a rotation at Tampa General Hospital (not one of the core affiliate hospitals) is that an impossibility?

Also, how do people get rotations at places like Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, or Johns Hopkins? Is there some sort of ridiculously competitive system for those rotations and some kind of exclusivity for certain medical schools only? I'd appreciate any input about this whole rotation business. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a 2nd year at LECOM-Bradenton and could really use some advice about 3rd and 4th year rotations (we really haven't received much info. about at school). I understand that there is a list of "core affiliate" hospitals at which most students complete their rotations.

However, does anyone know if you can set up your own core rotations at other hospitals? For instance, if I'd like to do a rotation at Tampa General Hospital (not one of the core affiliate hospitals) is that an impossibility?

Also, how do people get rotations at places like Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, or Johns Hopkins? Is there some sort of ridiculously competitive system for those rotations and some kind of exclusivity for certain medical schools only? I'd appreciate any input about this whole rotation business. Thanks! :D

for 3rd year core rotations: not allowed @ outside hospitals (even if your school allows it, the outside teaching hospitals don't)

4th year elective rotations: allowed for outside institutions which 1) allow visiting electives; and 2) allow osteopathic students

all outside institutions give preference to their own students, and after that, it's first come first serve. For the more competitive places, there MAY be some sort of acceptance criteria however early application is most important with them also.

Last edited:
for 3rd year core rotations: not allowed @ outside hospitals (even if your school allows it, the outside teaching hospitals don't)

4th year elective rotations: allowed for outside institutions which 1) allow visiting electives; and 2) allow osteopathic students

all outside institutions give preference to their own students, and after that, it's first come first serve. For the more competitive places, there MAY be some sort of acceptance criteria however early application is most important with them also.

actually some hospitals allow visiting third years. one of my friends at TCOM is doing their surg rotation in new york at barnabas.
look through the AOA opportunities page, under the info for residencies, under the hospital info section towards the bottom of the page it clearly states if they allow 3rd and 4th years or only 4th years.