Rotation Issues with respect to Residency 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I wish I had an advisor to discuss this with, but I'm left to my own devices to figure this out.

Right now I'm schedulded for :

June
3 weeks infxs dz - step 2 cs in mid June
July
3 weeks off -- begin kaplan 2 live rev
3 weeks GI -- end kap review at end of GI
August
3 weeks heme/onc
2 weeks off -- take step 2 ck
September
4 weeks away elect for rads
Oct
4 weeks anesthesia
Nov
2 weeks off
6 weeks obgyn core

Jan- March
Free right now,
9 weeks of required electives to schedule

I am applying for radiology in 2007, but after speaking with my father he has convinced that applying for a 2nd residency cannot hurt either. So I will dip my hands into anesthesia as well.

I would like to do another anesthesia elective earlier so I can really
get a feel for the field and get a LOR to use for the application cycle. I think doing my first elective in october will be too late.

So I would like to change infx dz for anesthesia.
which then creates a situation where I will be short 2 weeks of fulfilling my medicine elective requirements.

I also require an extra week of neurology (messed up story that just isnt worth the bandwidth to explain) to satisfy the texas state reqs.

So I was planning on doing 2 away electives and doing originally a rads elective and a medicine/neuro elective

Now I would do a medicine elec and a neuro elective, and not do the rads elective (this would be in January 2007)
and I would have to tack on an extra week of GI this summer to make it 4 weeks to get that 9th week out of the way --- or try and see if I can get the doc I'm working with now to give me a 2 week credit for a research elective in the time off I got in november.

So possible change would look like this ...
3 weeks anesthesia
2 weeks off
4 week GI
3 week heme/onc
2 week off
sep- dec = same as before
Jan = Sub-I (alt Rads)
Feb = Neuro

sorry if this is all over the place, just confused and need some outside opnions.

Members don't see this ad.

Bevo said:
Well, I wish I had an advisor to discuss this with, but I'm left to my own devices to figure this out.

Right now I'm schedulded for :

June
3 weeks infxs dz - step 2 cs in mid June
July
3 weeks off -- begin kaplan 2 live rev
3 weeks GI -- end kap review at end of GI
August
3 weeks heme/onc
2 weeks off -- take step 2 ck
September
4 weeks away elect for rads
Oct
4 weeks anesthesia
Nov
2 weeks off
6 weeks obgyn core

Jan- March
Free right now,
9 weeks of required electives to schedule

I am applying for radiology in 2007, but after speaking with my father he has convinced that applying for a 2nd residency cannot hurt either. So I will dip my hands into anesthesia as well.

I would like to do another anesthesia elective earlier so I can really
get a feel for the field and get a LOR to use for the application cycle. I think doing my first elective in october will be too late.

So I would like to change infx dz for anesthesia.
which then creates a situation where I will be short 2 weeks of fulfilling my medicine elective requirements.

I also require an extra week of neurology (messed up story that just isnt worth the bandwidth to explain) to satisfy the texas state reqs.

So I was planning on doing 2 away electives and doing originally a rads elective and a medicine/neuro elective

Now I would do a medicine elec and a neuro elective, and not do the rads elective (this would be in January 2007)
and I would have to tack on an extra week of GI this summer to make it 4 weeks to get that 9th week out of the way --- or try and see if I can get the doc I'm working with now to give me a 2 week credit for a research elective in the time off I got in november.

So possible change would look like this ...
3 weeks anesthesia
2 weeks off
4 week GI
3 week heme/onc
2 week off
sep- dec = same as before
Jan = Sub-I (alt Rads)
Feb = Neuro

sorry if this is all over the place, just confused and need some outside opnions.

sorry for the delayed reply, mind posting what you have already done?

z

done 3 weeks neuro
6 weeks fp
6 weeks psych
4 weeks rads
12 weeks medicine
6 weeks peds
currently doing 12 weeks surgery

reqs = 48 weeks core, 33 weeks of electives

Wow! I didn't know 4th yr is that complicated!! Sounds like you are making a big deal out of all these elective options.
Now, if you really want to do radiology and don't mind smaller community programs and you are US grad, step 1 1st attempt with atleast 200, honestly you WILL match for radiology. However, if you still want anesthesia as a backup, you need to do an elective in it early on-june, july, august. Now why is anesthesia a backup? I don't understand-do you like anesthesia or your dad thinks it should be your backup????! In any case, anesthesia is not that easy to be considered a backup for radiology- IM or Fp as a backup plan. Now for medicine electives, do you really need to complete all the electives by dec, or can you do it in the spring?
I would suggest pushing all the other required electives that are not directly helpful for your residency application to spring and the main AI/electives in rad or anesthesia this summer.
It really doesn't matter what order you do your electives as long as you have a letter of recommendation in the field you apply-so for rad, LOR from a rad attending after a rad elective.
When i did my electives, the hardest part was we had a lottery system for the electives, so you really didn't get the electives you wanted when you wanted them and ended reshuffling everything.
Good luck! Radiology is not that hard to get into as long as you apply broadly.

Step 2 prep can be done in september after you mailed your ERAs and when you pass it in october, send it to the schools. Just my advice.

sorry, didn't realize you are a FMG. In that case, if your step 1 is not great, take step2 early and do really well. So electives are secondary compared to doing well in step 2.

yeah FMG. So I think having my step 2 done earlier is more impt as well.

I've decided to see if I can manage a anesthesia elective for June instead of Inffz Dz.

Upped my GI and Heme/onc electives to 4 weeks each respectively.

(emailed to request it). Our electives aren't done by lottery. We setup into spots that are open.

Going to try and setup 2 away electives later in Neuro and a SubI in Jan-Feb 2007.

And with that I should be done.

I know anesthesia isn't a garunteed back up, but I dont wanna apply for something I know I won't be happy doing for the rest of my life.

I would rather apply for something I'd rather do even though its also competitive.

And if it doesn't work out, then I'll look at scrambling for a prelim spot or doing a research fellowship?

Since both your choices-rad/anesthesia require prelim, apply broadly to a lot of prelim programs-transitional generally is competitive than prelim, and all the prelim/trans spots are somewhat competitive as well, so try to match at prelim if all else fails.
Now its just an advice but i think if you really like rads, apply everywhere and try to match this yr, if not do prelim and reapply the following yr, doing a nuclear medicine fellowship or something in the extra yr.
Honestly, even if you are fmg, you can match into rad the first time-check out auntminnie.com.

eyestar said:
Since both your choices-rad/anesthesia require prelim, apply broadly to a lot of prelim programs-transitional generally is competitive than prelim, and all the prelim/trans spots are somewhat competitive as well, so try to match at prelim if all else fails.
Now its just an advice but i think if you really like rads, apply everywhere and try to match this yr, if not do prelim and reapply the following yr, doing a nuclear medicine fellowship or something in the extra yr.
Honestly, even if you are fmg, you can match into rad the first time-check out auntminnie.com.

Thanks for teh reply.

I will be applying broadly for rads, prob 70+ programs all over the country.

Got myself into some interven rads research just recently and will hopefully be published over the summer.