rotation picks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny9505

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have been the best and worst rotations speciaties you've been on? Is surgey usually one of the tougher ones that most people don't enjoy??

Members don't see this ad.

Best:
Surgery -- *loved* the rotation, but hated the lifestyle
Medicine -- tons of teaching, you get to think through problems, and students are treated like they're "part of the team."
CCU (Coronary care unit) -- by far my all-time favorite rotation. Perfect mix (for me) of evidence-based medicine, procedures, thinking through problems. The patients usually feel better when they're discharged!
Pulmonary -- the most interesting patients I've had have been while I've been on this rotation -- they're also the sickest. Also a fair amount of procedures, and really friendly attendings who are into teaching (at least here...) It's a great rotation whether or not you're interested in IM.

Worst:
Peds (especially outpatient) -- I hate constantly having to reassure parents who are overly worried about their perfectly healthy children! The really sick children are just too depressing, and I would probably burn out by the time I'm 35.
Ob/Gyn -- Some of the most unhappy and unfriendly physicians I have met so far.

Many of us have answered this question in the "Rotation from Hell" thread as well as another one dealing with specialties (don't know the URL). A search might yield the latter for ya. :D