Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

rotation picks

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by sunny9505, Jul 29, 2001.

1. sunny9505

sunny9505 Member

What have been the best and worst rotations speciaties you've been on? Is surgey usually one of the tougher ones that most people don't enjoy??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Best:
    Surgery -- *loved* the rotation, but hated the lifestyle
    Medicine -- tons of teaching, you get to think through problems, and students are treated like they're "part of the team."
    CCU (Coronary care unit) -- by far my all-time favorite rotation. Perfect mix (for me) of evidence-based medicine, procedures, thinking through problems. The patients usually feel better when they're discharged!
    Pulmonary -- the most interesting patients I've had have been while I've been on this rotation -- they're also the sickest. Also a fair amount of procedures, and really friendly attendings who are into teaching (at least here...) It's a great rotation whether or not you're interested in IM.

Worst:
    Peds (especially outpatient) -- I hate constantly having to reassure parents who are overly worried about their perfectly healthy children! The really sick children are just too depressing, and I would probably burn out by the time I'm 35.
    Ob/Gyn -- Some of the most unhappy and unfriendly physicians I have met so far.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Many of us have answered this question in the "Rotation from Hell" thread as well as another one dealing with specialties (don't know the URL). A search might yield the latter for ya. :D