Rotation Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my 3rd yr of Med school ends June 18th and I can do my first 4th yr rotation on June 20th. I would really like to do an away EM rotation at one of the SE schools like Emory, Duke, UNC-CH, UVA, Vandy etc. Here is the thing none of these places start a 4th yr rotation when I want. Emory starts one of the 27th of June, my question is this.... Should I ask them if I cant start early (Do they allow this)? Or my other option is to push an unimportant 3rd yr class into 4th yr and then do EM starting like June 1?

I am so confused and I am trying to get hooked up with my advisor who I hope can assist in this as well. I was just wondering your guys thoughts.

Thanks
Ectopic

Members don't see this ad.

I used to think it was just my school that hosed us on schedules but it turns out everyone has some version of this problem. Every school's schedule is different and doing an away rotation means you have to adjust schedules.

Some schools (including one I did an away rotation at) recognize this difference and allow visiting to students to begin their rotations on any Monday. Others (including the other I rotated at) only allow visitors to begin when their students begin.

To resolve this, I took a month off but split it into two, two week blocks. I "studied" for Step II on those off weeks and then started the away rotation on their schedule. The post-rotation vacation allowed me to get back on my schedule.

You're not the only one to feel confused by this. I, and probably most students, felt really overwhelmed by the complexity of this. It will, however, work itself out.

Good luck and take care,
Jeff

Jeff out of curiosity do you know which programs let you start on any monday? Also, does this mean that I should just call up some EM program and ask if they will make a special adjustment for me? please advise. I really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no penalty for asking. Programs know that this is an issue all students have to deal with and they won't mind you calling to ask if there is any flexibility in the dates. Call the places you really want to go to and find out. You need your EM rotations in by Oct at the VERY latest for letters but they don't HAVE to be your very first rotation either. I did a month of peds and used the downtime to study for boards and then did an ER month at my home school before I went away just to brush up my skills before my "interview" rotation...

The only two I know of with direct knowledge are Scott & White/Texas A&M and UNM in Albuquerque. Scott & White started every Monday and UNM started once a month according to their schedule.

I agree with anon, no penalty for asking. Just figure out where you might like to rotate and call the program coordinator (not director) and ask.

Good luck,
Jeff

there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to start on a date that's better for you. The fact is, that unlike IM (where you're with the same attending for the whole month), everyone you meet is on a weird shift schedule anyway and you'll be working with many different attendings and residents, so it doesn't really matter when you start. I suggest you circumvent the clowns at the various Registrar's Offices and contact EM dept's directly.

doc05 said:
I suggest you circumvent the clowns at the various Registrar's Offices and contact EM dept's directly.

I agree. Clowns are scary.

I think you should definitely call the EM programs that you want to rotate with. I remember the old UTSW web site said they were not flexible and only stuck to their block schedule (so initially I ruled them out as an away rotation), but when I called later on (can't remember if it was April or May), they were willing to let me start on the Monday that fit my schedule. I also had to go back to my med school after my first shift to take the official school photos and was able to not have shifts scheduled during that time. I also finished by shifts early so that I could go back and take an exam at my home school (can't remember if it was the EM course exam or ACLS).

I had also called Louisville, Sacramento, and Irvine to confirm the start and end dates March of my 3rd year also so that I could have adequate traveling time between them. Louisville was flexible as well. I remember starting on Sacramento's schedule but it ended up working our (gave me one week to drive from Kentucky to Northern Cal).

EM is a great field that allows for flexibility and you get to experience it from the med student level and up. Be sure to call them up so that you can have it all worked out. The program coordinators were usually friendly and helpful. Some programs are more flexible than others, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck!
-Andy

Thank you all for your help...

If anyone knows of other places that are flexible I would appreciate it (especially in the Southeast).

Regards,
Ectopic