Rotation schedule screw up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karenwkyk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back my rotation schedule,
1. Surgeny
2. Ped
3. Ob/gyn
4. FM
5. Psy
6. IM

I got IM at the end, everyone said you need to do medicine first to build up the foundation....am I screw up now? Am i going to do really bad on all my self exam? I am really stress out now, is anyone can give me some opinion?
Thanks a lot? :confused: And:(

Members don't see this ad.

1. Surgeny
2. Ped
3. Ob/gyn
4. FM
5. Psy
6. IM

I got IM at the end, everyone said you need to do medicine first to build up the foundation....am I screw up now? Am i going to do really bad on all my self exam? I am really stress out now, is anyone can give me some opinion?

you will be fine. surgery is nice to start with because it's very demanding and you will be fresh off vacation and bright and bushy-tailed for a hard rotation. Then you knock out a couple of other relatively hard rotations and have a nice long break of FM and psych before going into another hard rotation, IM. Fully 1/4 of my class has to take internal medicine as their last 3rd year rotation. I don't think they're being affected in any in terms of residency applications, grades, and step 2. you will be fine--you'll pick up the knowledge you need along the way and will look good by the time you get to IM which has such a huge knowledge base.

Beats me. I could say that you're screwed, just like everyone else that doesn't take it first. Except that apparently 5/6 of your class won't take it first, so that doesn't seem to matter much.
You'll be fine. Just study for each exam.

Especially that surgeny one. I've heard it's tough, whatever it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Surgeny
2. Ped
3. Ob/gyn
4. FM
5. Psy
6. IM

When is your english rotation?

Anyway, don't stress out.....you'll get used to pain during the first half of your year, and the rest will feel warm/fuzzy in comparison.

As someone who finished OB/Gyn and Surgery by winter break, getting them done early feels great. Yes, the Surgery shelf has a lot of medicine on it, but nothing you can't learn if you organize your study time effectively.

Am i going to do really bad on all my self exam?(

Most of us started practicing our "self exam" sometime around puberty, and have continued to work on our technique over time. If you haven't bothered to practice your "self exam" technique until now, well, there's nothing anyone can do for you.

Most of us started practicing our "self exam" sometime around puberty, and have continued to work on our technique over time. If you haven't bothered to practice your "self exam" technique until now, well, there's nothing anyone can do for you.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My school did a modified lottery system. On the day of the lottery, many people (of course) didn't get the schedule they had envisioned. The folks who wanted IM at the beginning but got it at the end were the most upset, followed closely by those who wanted IM at the end, but instead got it at the beginning.

Predictably, it ended with tears and anger. Drastic pronouncements about failing Shelf exams and inability to get good LoRs were made. Several particularly vocal students marched straight to the Dean's office to demand that the schedule be changed. Horse-swapping commenced immediately. Suicide was threatened. Lawyers were called. Guns were produced.

In the end though, people calmed down and realized it made no difference. There are advantages and disadvantages to any schedule. IM in the beginning prepares you better for FP and Surg. IM at the end gives you good Step II prep. Surgery at the end lets you finish the hardest rotation with the most preparation. Surgery at the beginning makes the 2nd half of your year much more pleasant.

To the OP: You'll be fine. You'll live through it. It makes next to no difference the order that your rotations are in. What matters is what you do while you are on them. 3rd year is hard because of the schedule you have to keep; intellectually, it's far easier than the first two years.

In the end though, people calmed down and realized it made no difference. There are advantages and disadvantages to any schedule. IM in the beginning prepares you better for FP and Surg. IM at the end gives you good Step II prep. Surgery at the end lets you finish the hardest rotation with the most preparation. Surgery at the beginning makes the 2nd half of your year much more pleasant.

To the OP: You'll be fine. You'll live through it. It makes next to no difference the order that your rotations are in. What matters is what you do while you are on them. 3rd year is hard because of the schedule you have to keep; intellectually, it's far easier than the first two years.

Yep. It all just depends how you look at things.

I assume that you're graded against everyone who is in the same or similar rotation track as you. If so, then you have just as much of a chance as anyone else. If not, then yes...you are screwed.