Rotation sites testing pharmacy interns for nicotine now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm told that certain hospitals will require pharmacy interns to submit a nicotine test (along with a 10 panel drug test) for their 8 week rotation. Is this true/typical? Seems a bit excessive.

I'm not a tobacco user and advocate against tobacco-use but this seems strange. Has anyone else heard of this/experienced this? I know some hospitals are "nicotine free" but to test a pharmacy intern on a 6-8 week rotation for nicotine?

Heck my school doesn't even require a drug test for admission yet you have to pass a nicotine test to work for free?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's the protocol here in FL along with a slew of other **** that we have to do (TB mask testing, etc.)

Why would using nicotine replacement therapy matter? Unless they can test for tobacco, it seems like none of their business.

Members don't see this ad :)
I presume the test does not distinguish between the source of nicotine

I know of a few hospitals that have being tobacco free as a condition of employment. It doesn't surprise me that they don't want to make exceptions for trainees.

I wonder if they would turn people away if they tested positive even if they agreed not to smoke or use any tobacco product while there. I've heard of the test because some insurance companies will do it to assess smoking in patients and will tack on cost to their premium. They usually test for cotinine, which is a metabolite of nicotine and is detectable for almost a week or so after use.

Hopefully they at least pay for the testing but most likely they will tack it on as a fee and take it out as part of your tuition

That's the protocol here in FL along with a slew of other **** that we have to do (TB mask testing, etc.)
I'm in Florida.... Didn't have to do a TB mask fitting or nicotine test. It just depends on your rotation site.