Rotations and CVs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rotations begin for me on May 19, and I plan on updating my CV during each rotation, so that it's as current as possible. What I'm not sure of is how exactly to list the rotations, and what information to put for each one. Any suggestions? I couldn't find a thread on this using the keywords I used when I did a search.

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Rotations begin for me on May 19, and I plan on updating my CV during each rotation, so that it's as current as possible. What I'm not sure of is how exactly to list the rotations, and what information to put for each one. Any suggestions? I couldn't find a thread on this using the keywords I used when I did a search.

Thanks. :)

Depends on what's the purpose of your CV. If your goal is to get a retail job, I would just list them and not even go into detail. If your goal is to get a residency, then highlight a major project from each rotation, or if you learned some unusual skill. Don't go overboard putting a paragraph for each rotation, it only irritates the person reading the CV. If I want to know more about what you did on a certain rotation - I will invite you to an interview and ask you... Put month, location (hospital/pharmacy/organization and town/state), preceptor (if desired), title/description (such as, Adult Intensive Care, or Community Pharmacy - Grocery Store), one or two key bullet points. That's it. :)

Only academics use CVs. Everyone else just use a resume. For resumes, anything more than 2 pages is considered long. If you are going for an entry level job, you should try and keep it at a page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what's the purpose of your CV. If your goal is to get a retail job, I would just list them and not even go into detail. If your goal is to get a residency, then highlight a major project from each rotation, or if you learned some unusual skill. Don't go overboard putting a paragraph for each rotation, it only irritates the person reading the CV. If I want to know more about what you did on a certain rotation - I will invite you to an interview and ask you... Put month, location (hospital/pharmacy/organization and town/state), preceptor (if desired), title/description (such as, Adult Intensive Care, or Community Pharmacy - Grocery Store), one or two key bullet points. That's it. :)

mine is set up to look like this. I've put the rotations for the year in and an asterik noting which are pending.

I did Title
Site/Hospital Name
City, State
Preceptor Name RPh/BCOP/BCPS etc
then I'll put notes in after rotations start

Yeah, I should have clarified the purpose of my CV. I will be applying for a residency early in 2009.

Thank you for your reply. It was helpful. :)

Anyone working on their CV/cover letters/interviews would benefit from taking a peek at this book. Most colleges of pharmacy have it available for student use, and it doesn't cost all that much if you decide to buy it. :)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ph...terviewing/Thomas-P-Reinders/e/9781582120768/

Most schools also have a dedicated pharmacy careers person who would be able to proofread it for you and help you with it.

Generally, I would try to keep it clean, straightforward, not put anything unimportant down just to "beef it up", and make sure all the major things are on there, and you will be fine. :)

today we discussed http://www.rxportfolios.com/ for maintaining an online portfolio. It will import anything you put on there onto your CV.

I still have a physical portfolio but that might be nice later - it's free for students and $35/yr once you gradumacate

today we discussed http://www.rxportfolios.com/ for maintaining an online portfolio. It will import anything you put on there onto your CV.

I still have a physical portfolio but that might be nice later - it's free for students and $35/yr once you gradumacate

looks interesting... I'll tuck this site away for future use maybe. I'd like to be able to store letters of recommendation with a 3rd party, if possible... Back in college, we had a top-notch health professions board that did that for students and alumni to apply to medical, dental, and vet schools, but not for general jobs.