1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Rotations - Do you always have to leave the area?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gossmer, Nov 29, 2005.

1. gossmer

gossmer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At an interview today, it came up that most of the students had to leave the area surrounding the school and do their rotations in other locations, sometimes in other states. Is this the norm? It's not in a rural location at all, so this struck me as odd.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. finch

finch Member
    5+ Year Member

If the med school doesn't have a solid, main teaching hospital than students will likely have to leave for a lot of their rotations. If it does have a medical center, however, it would be very weird if students were forced to go elsewhere for the majority of their rotations.

4. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Even at places with huge teaching hospitals, many have to do away rotations. For instance, at U Penn, almost everyone does at least one away rotation.

5. Opallife

Opallife Student
    5+ Year Member

I have found that most schools (even ones with major teaching hospitals) send you away for at least one rotation. I know if you don't have a car or something you can switch it to be near by...but I have noticed that at most of the places I have interviewed you get moved around a bit.