Rotations - Do you always have to leave the area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gossmer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At an interview today, it came up that most of the students had to leave the area surrounding the school and do their rotations in other locations, sometimes in other states. Is this the norm? It's not in a rural location at all, so this struck me as odd.

Members don't see this ad.

gossmer said:
At an interview today, it came up that most of the students had to leave the area surrounding the school and do their rotations in other locations, sometimes in other states. Is this the norm? It's not in a rural location at all, so this struck me as odd.

If the med school doesn't have a solid, main teaching hospital than students will likely have to leave for a lot of their rotations. If it does have a medical center, however, it would be very weird if students were forced to go elsewhere for the majority of their rotations.

Even at places with huge teaching hospitals, many have to do away rotations. For instance, at U Penn, almost everyone does at least one away rotation.

unicorn06 said:
Even at places with huge teaching hospitals, many have to do away rotations. For instance, at U Penn, almost everyone does at least one away rotation.

I have found that most schools (even ones with major teaching hospitals) send you away for at least one rotation. I know if you don't have a car or something you can switch it to be near by...but I have noticed that at most of the places I have interviewed you get moved around a bit.