Rotations...Help a brutha out!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxhealth

Langendorff Land
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, can you give me some pros and cons on local rotations (say at a school like WesternU/COMP) vs. traveling rotations (hmm...say at a school like AZCOM)...

The advantages to remaining in one local area are obvious, but if anyone, especially MSIII/MSIV's or residents can tell me specifically what made their "local" vs. traveling (or vice versa) experience better, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

maxhealth said:
Hey guys, can you give me some pros and cons on local rotations (say at a school like WesternU/COMP) vs. traveling rotations (hmm...say at a school like AZCOM)...

The advantages to remaining in one local area are obvious, but if anyone, especially MSIII/MSIV's or residents can tell me specifically what made their "local" vs. traveling (or vice versa) experience better, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advantage of travelling is getting experience at different hospitals where you may be applying to residency in the future. Not only does it give you a feel for the place, but more importantly, it gives them a feel for you and gets your foot in the door. Students at schools that only do rotations locally have to wait until 4th year to do audition rotations.

(nicedream) said:
Advantage of travelling is getting experience at different hospitals where you may be applying to residency in the future. Not only does it give you a feel for the place, but more importantly, it gives them a feel for you and gets your foot in the door. Students at schools that only do rotations locally have to wait until 4th year to do audition rotations.

You often have nowhere to live, and much money is spent on travel and housing.

This is particularly difficult if you have a family.

Members don't see this ad :)
maxhealth said:

Thanks!

I pay tuition to KCUMB. My 3rd year rotations were within one city, driving distance to home. I don't know how others who went from place to place each month did it. I have an apartment, etc.

Our 4th year we schedule how we want. I scheduled away electives in surgery at hospitals I was interested at in different cities. And the rest of my rotations will be back here near my home.

Going away on electives made me realize how much I love having a nice stable place to stay. :thumbup:

Going away on electives made me realize how much I love having a nice stable place to stay. :thumbup:

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. How did you find a short term place to stay during your electives?? Did the hospitals offer housing?

maxhealth said:
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. How did you find a short term place to stay during your electives?? Did the hospitals offer housing?

1. 1st elective, hospital student housing. not bad.
2. 2nd elective, close to home, stayed @ apt. great!
3. 3rd elective, hospital student housing, really nice! :) --actually the hospital built 2 little bungalows 2 blocks away, one for men one for women right next to each other. Super nice, super convenient, washer, dryer, LR,DR, kitchen.
4. 4th elective, NO hospital/student housing. The hospital, however, hooked me up with an anesthesia resident who rented his basement to me for $400 for the month.

And now I'm back home. :love:

So anyway, it varies.