rotations, residency, and aoa/ama accred.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! this is my first time posting on here...nice to be part of the osteopathic.com community
smile.gif
i have several questions: do or can DO students do clinical rotations along with their allopathic counterparts? if the DO clinical rotations are different, how so? on to residency...i may be interested in pursuing an allopathic residency..which ones are usually approved by the aoa? is it possible to have accred. from both the aoa and ama? how? which specialties normally allow for this dual accred.? ok, i realize ive just inundated this site with a ton of questions...i would appreciate any info you could provide...thanks, and good luck to all of you
smile.gif

medgal

Members don't see this ad.

Yes D.O. students can do there Clerkships at allopathic institutions. I have a friend who is finishing his entire 4th year at University of Cincinatti . So it can be done.

Your third year core rotations will be arranged by your school and they will most likely be "based" at an osteopathic hospital, although you may rotate through some services at allopathic hospitals in the area.

Your fourth year electives can be done wherever you care to arrange them, either at osteopathic or allopathic institutions.

There are several dual accredited residency programs,in many specialties, so you will have to inquire as to the accreditation of the programs your are interested in.

How to get the AOA to approve one's allopathic residency is always the "million dollar question". I have heard from people that it is in part luck and in part how you go about applying for it. Military residency programs, for those on military scholarships, are automatically accredited. I suspect that if you are going into a specialty for which there is no osteopathic residency programs, it will be easy to get your residency accredited by the AOA (there are a few specialties in this category). Otherwise, the rumor has that it is easier to get it approved if you already spent a year in an osteopathic internship, but the truth is who wants to be a resident for one extra year (since many programs do not give you advanced status after a year of a general rotating internship)...

I am currently an MS-IV. I did all of my core rotations in Michigan mostly at osteopathic hospitals and three of them at allopathic hospitals (Henry Ford and St. Joe). I am now doing my elective rotations in Ohio and California at allopathic institutions. They both have their pluses and minuses but I think that is more of an institution vs. institution difference rather than a MD vs. DO difference. I was very happy with the education that I received both at allopathic and osteopathic institutes. When you start your rotations you will realize that the only thing that makes a difference is the amount of effort you put into that rotation. Pick your rotations based on where you think you will be happier and not based on whether you will be at an osteopathic or allopathic hospital. You can be at the biggest hospital in the country but if you don't like the city, living situation, or whatever you will not be able to focus on learning <http://www.medstudents.net/bbs/icons/icon9.gif>. That is my $0.02 on the subject.

Rez B.
UHS-COM, MS-IV (8 months to go but who is counting)<http://www.medstudents.net/bbs/icons/icon10.gif>