Rotations rotations rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simon11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, just thinking about the upcoming rotations which for me begin this May and I was wondering for those of you who have completed your rotations or are in progress,... Which rotations are your favorites? Which would you get overwith first? Which ones would you repeat given the chance? and do you have any suggestions for those of us about to embark on journey????:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I"m in the same position as far as starting rotations in june... the one thing I've heard so far is that if you're planning on doing a residency try to get in as many clinical rotations as possible before december so you can get LoRs and the experience prior to interviews.

Definitely try to do internal med first so that you don't forget what you've just learned. Try to get different experience or rotations. I don't really have any favorite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rotations are the best (and maybe the only) opportunity you have to explore different aspects of the profession. Try to get the most variety. Try to go off the beaten path. Go to Indian Health Service, go to world-class cancer centers, go to small county hospitals, go to major Pharma company, go to a PBM, go to nuclear pharmacy, do an academic rotation or a management one - don't limit yourself to something you think you are comfortable with, nor to something you think you want to do (though it's certainly a good idea to spend a couple rotations in that area). Explore your options, you may change your mind. And simply have good time - you have the rest of your career to do what you think you want to do - so get the variety. That's the best advice I can give you. :)

My favorite rotations were as wildly different as a rural pharmacy in the middle of nowhwere, a major PBM, an Indian Health Service and an ICU service. :)

Rotations are the best (and maybe the only) opportunity you have to explore different aspects of the profession. Try to get the most variety. Try to go off the beaten path. Go to Indian Health Service, go to world-class cancer centers, go to small county hospitals, go to major Pharma company, go to a PBM, go to nuclear pharmacy, do an academic rotation or a management one - don't limit yourself to something you think you are comfortable with, nor to something you think you want to do (though it's certainly a good idea to spend a couple rotations in that area). Explore your options, you may change your mind. And simply have good time - you have the rest of your career to do what you think you want to do - so get the variety. That's the best advice I can give you. :)

My favorite rotations were as wildly different as a rural pharmacy in the middle of nowhwere, a major PBM, an Indian Health Service and an ICU service. :)

Fabulous advice...I couldn't agree more :D:thumbup: