Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can any of you share how ratations are setup for the 3rd and 4th years in pod school? Are most these done in a hospital or offices of pods? Is it true that the most beneficial rotations are in hospitals(I would think)? What schools offer the better clinical sites for their students? I am trying tonarrow down my schools and so far only have info on the first 2 years. Right now I am leaning toward DMU or Temple. Can any of you tell me about your experiences? Thanks.

oncogene

Members don't see this ad.

At DMU the thrid year is broken down into 2 month rotations at Broadlawns Medical Center, Tower Clinic, VA Hospital, and Private practice. Our fourth year is spent in the hospitals in which we hope to have our rotations. You spend a month at residencies in which you have interest. This allows you to learn and be seen and for them to see what you are all about. 80% of our stundents got their first choice for the match of rotations. 97% of the students here got their first or second pick. I think this is an incredible statistic. Come to DMU you will be glad you did. I ask jonwill to give you a better description of the thrid year. It would be a good idea to ask these types of questions during the interview. You want to ask questions it shows that you are interessted. Good luck on your interview Phil.

Our 3rd year is spent with doctors locally between The DMU Foot & Ankle Institute, Broadlawns Medical Center, the Des Moines VA, and other local hospitals. Our entire 4th year, starting in June, we are gone on our surgical clerkships. It is possible for us to extern at 7 programs before we interview for residency. I believe that is more than any other school. Our 4th year is a great experience and you are completely free to set it up the way you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
jonwill said:
Our 3rd year is spent with doctors locally between The DMU Foot & Ankle Institute, Broadlawns Medical Center, the Des Moines VA, and other local hospitals. Our entire 4th year, starting in June, we are gone on our surgical clerkships. It is possible for us to extern at 7 programs before we interview for residency. I believe that is more than any other school. Our 4th year is a great experience and you are completely free to set it up the way you want.

also consider the possibility of your school adjusting your schedule, so things may not be set up as described at any program. Scholl starts externships the earliest in the 3rd year, but that is likely to change since many schools are leaning toward starting their externships in 3rd year too. Virtually all of the schools 4th year is spent externing/clerking at residencies as well as rotations in local hospitals. the 2 schools your are interested in, CPMS and Temple are very good...you will can not go wrong w/ either. good luck

At NYCPM the 3rd year is spent in the Foot Clinics of NY downstairs from the school. In the clinic we do rotations thru the ortho clinic, peds, surgery, vascular, diabetic wound care, primary medicine, radiology, physical therapy.

During these rotations time is spent weekly at Metropolitan hospital and Lincoln Hospital.

We also have class every morning and different workshops and presentations for each rotation.

The 4th year is spent doing 3 clerkships and possibly one senior surgery rotation at either UMDNJ or West Penn. The rest of the senior year is spent at Lincoln, Harlem, or Metropolitan hospitals doing ER and Community Hospital rotations.

After the CRIPs the 4th years come back to NYCPM to finish the 4th year in the clinic or community hospitals (already mentioned), board review sessions and mini courses.

Good Luck at whichever school you choose.

Is there a website for the broadlawns residency program? I found their main site but only the Family practice residency in online. I am curious about the program.

oncogene

oncogene said:
Hello,

Can any of you share how ratations are setup for the 3rd and 4th years in pod school? Are most these done in a hospital or offices of pods? Is it true that the most beneficial rotations are in hospitals(I would think)? What schools offer the better clinical sites for their students? I am trying tonarrow down my schools and so far only have info on the first 2 years. Right now I am leaning toward DMU or Temple. Can any of you tell me about your experiences? Thanks.

oncogene

Temple has recently changed their curriculum such that all of the didactic classes will be completed by November of your third year. While you have classes from summer through November of your third year, you will be doing clinic rotations in the morning at Temple Foot and Ankle Institute and attend classes in the afternoon. After November, the third year students then go on to do their various rotations in Vascular Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease, Neurology, Anesthesiology, and various Podiatry rotations through the Foot and Ankle Institute clinics or other sites such as the Philadelphia VA, etc... As for the non Podiatry rotations, they are done through various hospitals throughout the Greater Philadelphia area (Temple University Hospital, University of Pennsylvania Hospital at Presbyterian, etc...) In the fourth year, students will get to do 4 externships at various residency programs. The 4th year student also need to finish up the remaining non Podiatry rotations that was not done in the third year. The 4th year students also have various Podiatry rotations. Lastly, the 4th year students also have to do a month office based clerkship. For the non Podiatry rotations, the TUSPM students are now required to take a shelf written exam (similar to what the allopathic medical students take at the end of their rotations). The experiences at the various clinical sites will vary greatly. You can talk to some of the current 4th year students at Temple about that. For example, if you did your Internal Medicine rotation at Temple University Hospital and you were assigned to a team that was not very Podiatry friendly or are not sure what Podiatry students are capable of doing, then your experiences on that rotation may not be very good.

oncogene said:
Is there a website for the broadlawns residency program? I found their main site but only the Family practice residency in online. I am curious about the program.

oncogene

I don't think the residency has a website. However, I have rotated there and would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

jonwill,

How is the program structured? Also, What are the hours like? Pay? General info would help. Thanks.

Oncogene

oncogene said:
jonwill,

How is the program structured? Also, What are the hours like? Pay? General info would help. Thanks.

Oncogene

Pay is about $40,000 and graduated by year

Hours, mostly 8-9 hr days with emergency calls and some long nights if traumas present.

Contact Dr. Jennifer Haligan at 515-282-2200 - PGY-1 for more info.

LCR

Dr. Rogers was too good for Broadlawns. He left us for NY (just kidding Lee). In addition to what Dr. Rogers already said, the residency is actually undergoing a bit of a transition. The hospital will be moving and changing names within the next year or two (it was bought out by Iowa Health). A few more docs have really gotten involved in the program and are giving the residents some great exposure (especially Dr. Mike Lee). Lastely, starting in the next year or two, the program will be taking two residents a year instead of one. The residency is transitioning to a PM&S-36.