What did you carry around during cliinical rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredr305

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting clinicals next week. Just wanted to see what most of you would recommend to carry around. Certainly the type of rotation matters, and we've been told what we should at least have, but any thing you carry around that you would highly recommend, or that was recommended but you felt was overkill? For example, any of those H&P template notebooks for internal medicine? Etc. Congrats to those who passed their boards this week too! Kill it in October if you have to retake!

Members don't see this ad.

It is rotation dependent, but I usually carried a few pens and a notepad as well as a penlight / Wood's lamp for my general podiatry rotation. I started out using a H&P template, but usually don't feel a need for them for focused exams and often chart directly into the EMR if I'm doing a full comprehensive history. Some also carry around a pocketbook with things like lab ranges, pharmacology cheat sheets etc., which can be a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It is rotation dependent, but I usually carried a few pens and a notepad as well as a penlight / Wood's lamp for my general podiatry rotation. I started out using a H&P template, but usually don't feel a need for them for focused exams and often chart directly into the EMR if I'm doing a full comprehensive history. Some also carry around a pocketbook with things like lab ranges, pharmacology cheat sheets etc., which can be a good idea.

I actually bought an H&P template but thought it'd be nice to have to start. Starting off with internal medicine, so figured it can only help, even if just one time lol. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
get one of these if you don't own one already:

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.41.32 PM.png
get one

Reactions: 2 users
Perfect. Bought it on Amazon earlier today.