Rough Freshman Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigDoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be ending freshman year with a 3.3 science gpa and 3.55 overall gpa. I had near straight A's going into finals and then I always drop some of those A's to B+ or B-. Any tips to turn this around. I really want to get into an MD school (does not matter which as long as its MD).

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to need to evaluate your study and test-taking methods. Find the learning resource center at your school and talk to them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be alright, I finished my first semester with a 2.55 and my second with a 3.93 and that brought my cGPA freshman year to 3.3. After sophomore year I was able to bring it up to 3.6. It takes time, but you can do it. Just understand that you need to analyze your mistakes and change some habits. I went out every weekend freshman year 1st semester and barely studied and I got the 2.55, but 2nd semester I went out every single weekend and fixed my studying and I would have had the 4.0 but I got an A- in stats because I took the advanced version. Figure out the problem, analyze what you can do to fix it, implement a new strategy. You've got this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
You'll be alright, I finished my first semester with a 2.55 and my second with a 3.93 and that brought my cGPA freshman year to 3.3. After sophomore year I was able to bring it up to 3.6. It takes time, but you can do it. Just understand that you need to analyze your mistakes and change some habits. I went out every weekend freshman year 1st semester and barely studied and I got the 2.55, but 2nd semester I went out every single weekend and fixed my studying and I would have had the 4.0 but I got an A- in stats because I took the advanced version. Figure out the problem, analyze what you can do to fix it, implement a new strategy. You've got this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This really makes me feel better. Thank you

Schools really value upwards trends. Freshman year kinda sucks for some people so don't beat yourself up over it. Many people, myself included, have had freshman year GPAs lower than yours and we ended up juuust fine. Just work your butt off going forward and constantly find ways to refine your study skills. You are your own limit - make sure you own that.

3.23 freshman spring -> 3.73 by my senior year and I just got elected to PBK. Don't worry, you've got a long road yet

That isn't rough, more like lukewarm. It's fine, just do better. You don't need to be a 4.0 machine

Reactions: 1 users
I had a 2.5 GPA freshman year. I am fortunate enough to have multiple MD and DO acceptances right now. People love an upward trend - keep working hard and it will pay off!

Practice questions. Just do as many as you can get your hands on.

And find upperclassmen to give you the scoop on which teachers and classes are the best (ie easiest).

Go to office hours. I cant tell you how many times I saw people (who I despised, but hey, don't hate the player hate the game) get their grades bumped or exceptions made by professors because they were a familiar face. Also helps when it comes time to get letters of rec as a junior. Don't do what I did and start senior year without a single professor who knows your name.

Like a couple other people in this thread, I finished Freshman year with a solidly sub-3.0 GPA. Raising it isn't impossible, just a PITA.

Lastly, consider a gap year. They're awesome for a whole bunch of reasons, but a major one is that you'll have nice, fluffy senior grades to balance out the intro courses from the first 2 years.

You'll be fine. I had a 3.3 cGPA. I cried after my first semesters. Ended up getting 4.0's my last two semester. Many people talk about learning how to study, and that certainly is key, I didn't know how to when I started college. However, what many people forget is balance. I went from not studying enough, to studying all the time. I missed out on so much of college, that's it's kind of depressing. Needless to say my sophomore year grades weren't that great.

After taking a step back and realizing that studying 24/7 wasn't healthy either, I decided to do a little of both. I studied hard, but when I would hit that wall, I would put down the books and use that time doing something I loved (reading, volunteering, club activities). My grades soared. Personal anecdote I know. Grades are important but so is being a college student. Enjoy it. Work hard, play hard and it should all fall into place.