route during MD

Started by blinky
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blinky

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi guys,

I'm hoping you can give me some advice.
I am primarily interested in pursuing a career as a clinician-researcher, focusing on the basic science side. Although I applied to a few MD/PhD programs (I am Canadian, so I applied to 2 Canadian schools - I know our MD/PhD programs are not as fine-tuned as American ones), I didn't feel the set-up was appropriate for my interests. Instead, I will be attending an MD program in the upcoming fall semester. I want to pursue my PhD during my residency.

I was wondering how I can keep myself competitive for research while pursuing my MD - I'd love to explore different medical specialties but also want to continue with research. I'm not sure if year-round research is practical during an MD degree, though, and whether I will only be able to do it during the few summer months I have.

Right now, I am interested in reproductive sciences, so I'm thinking of pursuing obs/gyn.. I know surgical specialties are heinous for MD/PhD aspirers, but that's where I aiming right now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-blinky
 
Last year I didn't apply to American schools because I know I want to stay (and practice) in Canada.

-blinky