route during MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blinky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

I'm hoping you can give me some advice.
I am primarily interested in pursuing a career as a clinician-researcher, focusing on the basic science side. Although I applied to a few MD/PhD programs (I am Canadian, so I applied to 2 Canadian schools - I know our MD/PhD programs are not as fine-tuned as American ones), I didn't feel the set-up was appropriate for my interests. Instead, I will be attending an MD program in the upcoming fall semester. I want to pursue my PhD during my residency.

I was wondering how I can keep myself competitive for research while pursuing my MD - I'd love to explore different medical specialties but also want to continue with research. I'm not sure if year-round research is practical during an MD degree, though, and whether I will only be able to do it during the few summer months I have.

Right now, I am interested in reproductive sciences, so I'm thinking of pursuing obs/gyn.. I know surgical specialties are heinous for MD/PhD aspirers, but that's where I aiming right now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-blinky

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I didn't apply to American schools because I know I want to stay (and practice) in Canada.

-blinky