RowanSOM vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicallycozy

Reaction score
Grateful to have both so far but need help deciding. I already have a hunch that Rowan is better for me, but would like some advice.

Rowan
- IS tuition (NJ Resident, ~41K a year)
- Research heavy (especially in neuroscience) which is a must for me, they have a combined DO/PhD program so I know they at least have a handle on research
- P/F
- also decent match

PCOM
- OOS tuition (~55K a year)
- Graded curriculum (is this a pro or a con now, given that Step 1 is P/F?)
- being in Philly would be sick
- decent match, seems to have more connections to competitive specialties though?
- seems to have decent research as well

I feel like Rowan is the obvious choice, but I don't want to make a blind decision just based on cost. No one in my family is really versed in anything medicine related, have no friends in the field either. Advice is v appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rowan, both it and PCOM are very established DO schools. You should follow the money.

P/F is still a plus. Supposedly Step 2 will just replace Step 1’s importance.

Reactions: 1 user
Rowan over PCOM for cost and P/F classes. With Step 1 being P/F now most of the shift will most likely just go to Step 2, but it wouldn't hurt to also just be able to have a huge CV full of research and volunteering. As someone at a DO school that has grades I can say that it is super annoying to have to spend the extra couple hours studying useless info when I know I could easily get a B without it. At the end of the day grades don't matter, they just hurt those with low class rank at DO schools.

sounds like ur leaning towards rowan. a neurosurgeon i shadowed graduated from rowansom although at least 20-25 years ago

Members don't see this ad :)
What have you decided? My cousin is currently deciding between these two programs.
Rowan! IS tuition, similar match list stats (don't have a list from this Friday but from what I saw, a lot of academic institutions- NJMS, NYU, UMaryland, Einstein, etc), good research, and the students I've been talking to generally seem to like where they go.