Royal College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeriMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have completed my Internal Medicine training in the US and have moved back to Ontario.
I will be taking the Royal College Exam in the spring and was wondering if there was anybody out there that would be interested in forming a study group or if anybody has any suggestions as to how to study for the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar problems to yours several years ago. Old exam questions would be nice. At the time when I did the Royal College board 7 years ago, I found the question somewhate esoteric... definitely not your MKSAP type question. I would still say Medstudy would give the best high impact preparation, in retrospect.

For the practical exam I went to London (UK) for Pastest's MRCP practical viva part 2 training coursre. US programs do not teach enough physical exam skills, and Canadian programs train residents specifically for the practical oral exam. I found the UK 1 week training course extremely useful. I passed the Royal College exam on first attempt, even though I was trained in US. Nicholas Talley's Examination Medicine (written for Australian internal medicine viva) is a great book for the Canadian exam. I nailed my scleroderma case using the info from this book.

hi nycheartdoc:
can u tell me more about this pastest course, how good was it exactly, and how well did it simulate the scenarios on the frcpc exam?
regards,
adam

Members don't see this ad :)
The world is getting smaller.. have you heard of anyone who has done this before ...or would you be interested in:
taking the Fellowship exams for all the Royal Colleges/Boards: eg. you could be:
Jo Blow, MD, ABIM(US), FRCP(C)(Can), FRCP(UK), FRACP(Australia/NZ) :D

Take the stand as a world certified expert in your field.

Hi GeriMD!
To pass the FRCPC for IM you'll need old notes (ie questions from the actual exam) and questions. We did train extensively in physical exam but also in how to answer the examiners. To get the old notes speak with the people at your nearest academic centre. The chief residents would be the best as their information is up to date. I wrote it this year and passed but the chief's have their ways in getting old questions.
The MCQ part is brutal as it tests bizarre esoteric stuff. Old questions will help mitigate the damage as a good portion of the test is repeated. The orals are trickier to prepare for though by yourself. If you could join a study group it would be best but you have to try to get the notes. Also if I remember correctly the college doesn't even tell you the structure of the exam so it's tricky for outsiders to prep for it.
I used MedStudy and MKSAP but the notes are better used for the ABIM however they are useful in review.
Good luck!

Thanks Kakoshi

I have gotten hold of the old questions and list of senarios for the oral.

I have started with the questions for the written.

Yes I think it would be best to join a group to get a better idea of the the oral works. I contacted the educational director in Toronto how as the chiefs if I could join them for their senario rounds, but it appears that they do not want anybody that is not in their programs to join. It is tough to get any info on this exam. I just want to start studying but also want to make sure that I'm studying appropriately.

There are some lectures that start in January that are held by the academic centres in Toronto. Are you familiar with these and if so are they beneficial?

Hey,
The lectures from Toronto might even be on your notes set. I don't know in what form you have the notes but when we studied basically they were all on CD or multiple CD's.
The lectures if you attend them are good for review and in helping you focus. Understand that they may cannot be given by people who actually set the exam though. You may also meet some sympathetic people who may be willing to allow you to join their group.
The Toronto lecture series was the only one that detailed out how the exam was set-up. Otherwise it'll be a surprise when you get there as notice that the college website has like no info.

hey:
i've signed up for the pastest course from jan27 to 30th...expensive!!..hope its worth it
adam

Hey,

Kakoshi - do you know how I can get a hold of the schedule of the lecture series in Toronto?
I spoke to an attending at one of the hospitals in Toronto and they have invited me to join their senario rounds which will begin in Jan.
What do think would be the best way to study for the physical? I found a section in the notes tittled essentials of clinical exam by Vincent Chien, FRCP, if you are familiar with these notes, do you think they good?

Adam - How do know if the UK course will be appropriate for preparing for the Royal College exam? I may consider going over too, but I need more convincing.

Sorry I don't know how to find the Toronto schedule. Unfortunately I never attended it.

Funny you mention FRCP prep stuff. One book recommended to us was the PACES for the FRCP. The neuro section is a little weaker though than the expectations of the college. One caveat though is that it doesn't use a lot of evidence based physical exam stuff like the JAMA series which we love. Talley's physical exam book is not too bad either but it also doesn't have the evidence based physical exam stuff too. We actually summarize pretty much all the JAMA articles in prep for our orals.

There is another book called evidence based physical exam that also has literature regarding various LR and PPV of physical tests.

I don't know Chien's notes however.

hey geri:
i'm not sure how good the paces course will be.. i have signed up for the course for the end of the month..i'll let you know how it goes
adam

I am an american trained physician who took the US IM boards 3 years ago. I am now finishing my fellowship in NYC and am considering relocating to Toronto. I have heard the Canadian exam is very hard and people trained outside of the Canadian system don't always pass on the first try. How many hours of studying do you think it would require if I obtained some of the notes you guys were discussing?

1. Canadian royal college exam is interested in your basis medicine.

2. You have to remember year 1 medical school stuff like heart sound

3. No long questions, unlike American ABIM, Canadian exam has short stem, no long story, either you know it or not

4. use pencils and please do not use MKSAP, any American stuff, throw it away except Medstudy.

5. MKSAP, ACP and all American review courses are useless.

6. So if you need help, pm me

Hui guys, I am US trained (IM and subspecialty fellowship) going to take spring canadian Royal College internal medicine exam. I would appreciate any help on how to get old questions and scenarios as well as joining a study group. Thanks a lot in advance for any help!