RSNA Research Resident/Fellow Grants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmarty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an intern but I am interested in applying for this grant during residency. Do you have to take a dedicated extra research year to be eligible? At which point in residency do you usually apply for this grant? How competitive is it? For residents likely going into private practice, does having this grant make you stand out? Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

http://www.rsna.org/research_resident_grant.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need a research year to be eligible, but you will be competing against residents who have a lot of research time and/or institutional and mentor support. If you're interested in academics at all, I would definitely go for it. If it never pans out, at least you've had some experience with the process. Talk to your program director about your interest and when you might have time to pursue the project. Depending on your program, they may insist that you take the 6 month option in your fourth year as your minifellowship.

This grant will do absolutely zero for you if you're sure you want to go into private practice.

The important thing is to find a mentor at your program and have them guide you along. If you have no likely mentors, you're definitely working uphill.
Do you have a potential project? What would you consider doing?

Totally agree with above. Research has zero or sometimes even negative impact in finding a good private practice job.

Thanks for both of your responses. I don't know which environment I want to end up in, which is why I would like to keep doors open. I honestly don't even know which fellowship I want to pursue (they all seem interesting and worthwhile).

I'm surprised that research has no bearing on a good private practice position. Doesn't getting a grant like this improve your chances at a top fellowship (usually big academic towers), which in turn gives you first pick for the best private practice jobs? I've read many of your posts Shark about doing a fellowship in the location that you ultimately want to end up in and am keeping this mind.