RT to MD. The (Best) Path To Becoming A Doctor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrktstrtmyhm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I've been reading a lot of posts on this site and figured it's time I get my story out there and see what people have to say about my plan. I'm currently in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia working as an RT (Respiratory Therapist) and I moved here 15 months ago to challenge myself and also free myself from debt (I know how much med school costs but bear with me!). I've been able to travel to parts of the world I've never imagined seeing before and now that I'm financially free I feel like reinvesting in my education is the best thing I can do for my future self.
I really enjoy helping people but see every time I come to work how the healthcare system really works. I see doctors who stand outside a patients room during rounds, never physically assessing them. I see nurses and RT's who are burned out and have lost a part of their soul to the stressful ICU. We are over-worked, underpaid, subject to disease and danger, yet for most of us, we accept this because in the end the reward of seeing a fellow human being triumph over injury and death makes all that previous misery easily forgettable.
That being said, I've seen extreme poverty in Nepal and India and have felt an attraction to this area and I believe my future in medicine involves taking care of the underserved and under-represented in society. Providing basic healthcare to those in most need is the greatest thing a doctor can do, in today's world especially.

So here's a quick summary of my background:
2011: Obtained a Bachelor of Science - 3.0 overral GPA
2011-present: Worked as an RT in USA/Saudi Arabia

I'm honestly more interested in medical schools outside the U.S. because of their location, the way they approach medicine, the cost, and the fact that I can live and practice in Europe after graduation. I know most people on here are from the US and applying to US schools so I'm not ruling that out either but taking a post-bacc, MCAT prep and test(the new test is now close to 8 hours long??) just to bury myself in debt again and subject myself to the insane life of residency isn't my idea of becoming a quality, empathetic physician. You can see I'm a little upset at how the system is rigged against us in the States. It's all about the money now where in Europe things still make more sense and most of these countries still see you as a human being not just a dollar sign.

That's my story in a nutshell and I hope you can help me narrow my focus on getting into med school abroad or at home in the States.

Members don't see this ad.