Rude interview at NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmwelch`

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my interview last week at Nova and it was awful. Instead of asking questions regarding my desire to become an optometrist and where I saw myself within the profession like the other schools I interviewed at, I was immediately asked about my grades. (I had a rough start but they got much better after the first year of undergrad and I’m proud of my improvements.) After giving my explanation, I was then asked about things I didn’t mention in my application which I brought up a medical condition and again it was just brushed aside (it’s fine because I’m managing it). The last straw for me was when the interview tried to catch me in a lie when he himself had no idea of my experience. I shadowed 2 doctors, 1 man and 1 woman, that went to SCO but only one wrote a letter for me. When asked about my shadowing I was cut off mid-sentence with “that’s funny because the person that wrote this letter is a she.” It was at that moment I knew I couldn’t attend Nova because I did not feel welcomed and will probably be receiving a rejection letter soon.

Has anyone else had a negative experience interviewing that turned you off from one of your top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi jmwelch!

When I was at the NOVA interview, I didn’t really see any negative things. If anything, one of the interviewers looked kind of unhappy and angry, like he didn’t want to be there. So I did take note of that. But all in all, I didn’t have bad experience at NOVA or at any of my interviews. I’m so sorry that you had to go thru all that though

I just had my interview last week at Nova and it was awful. Instead of asking questions regarding my desire to become an optometrist and where I saw myself within the profession like the other schools I interviewed at, I was immediately asked about my grades. (I had a rough start but they got much better after the first year of undergrad and I’m proud of my improvements.) After giving my explanation, I was then asked about things I didn’t mention in my application which I brought up a medical condition and again it was just brushed aside (it’s fine because I’m managing it). The last straw for me was when the interview tried to catch me in a lie when he himself had no idea of my experience. I shadowed 2 doctors, 1 man and 1 woman, that went to SCO but only one wrote a letter for me. When asked about my shadowing I was cut off mid-sentence with “that’s funny because the person that wrote this letter is a she.” It was at that moment I knew I couldn’t attend Nova because I did not feel welcomed and will probably be receiving a rejection letter soon.

Has anyone else had a negative experience interviewing that turned you off from one of your top choices.
I had a pretty similar experience about 6 years ago. I had already been accepted by a couple other schools and had to decide quickly, so I got a late invitation for interview from NOVA so I hurriedly flew down there which was expensive for me at the time being in undergrad. The interviewers were about a half hour late, which can happen so wasn't as big of a deal. But just like you the first thing they ask about is a couple grades in certain classes, and then said my OAT "Was good, not great." My OAT score at the time was above their average acceptance average. After their 2-3 minutes of pretty much asking me about grades and like you said pretty much none at all about my other activities I had enough, I wasn't there to beg for a spot because I had already gotten into some schools I liked. They asked me if I had any questions, I said nope and that was it for my interview. When they called saying I had been accepted I told them no thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviewer was rude and unprofessional. Sadly, I wish I could say I was surprised. This profession has become inundated with pretentious jerks and you'll have to get used to being around such people, or isolate yourself. When you go to OD meetings and see some of the older OD's sitting off by themselves, you'll know why. This profession is not what it used to be. Sorry.

Remember, in any professional interview, YOU are interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. If they present themselves in such a manner, then why should you give them tuition money? They failed here and I wouldn't attend NOVA based upon what you've said.

When you have an interviewer trying to pull a power play like that, turn the tables on them and start grilling THEM. For instance, ask them, "What makes NOVA unique? Why should I pick your school over another?" Etc... Own them. You'll regain their respect. Then, walk away. I wouldn't go there even if you had regained ground in the interview. They shouldn't be pulling power plays like that. There's no reason for it, unless they want to know how you'll respond to being bullied. I honestly can't justify that kind of treatment.

Last edited:
Also, an interviewer will tend to select candidates that mirror himself in terms of personality and so ask yourself if you want to spend 4 years with people like the interviewer? If he/she is a jerk, it says a LOT about the composition of the student body. Were I in your shoes, I'd run for the nearest exit (after showing him his place, of course), but I'm almost 50 and people my age don't tolerate being treated like c*ap.

Update: I was denied to the traditional 4 year track but put on the roster for the PreOpt program. I have an interview with another school and still have 3 others that haven’t gotten back to me. As much as it kills me, I may have to make it my back up if I don’t get in anywhere else because i really don’t want to sit out another year and know i could get into the OD program that way.

Beware of trolls.....I would treat every interviewer with respect as your $$ will have the last say.

Interviewing the interviewer IS being respectful, in any situation. It shows that you, the interviewee has a genuine active interest, that you have the wisdom to ask questions and that you don't allow fear to keep you in silent submission.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I was denied to the traditional 4 year track but put on the roster for the PreOpt program. I have an interview with another school and still have 3 others that haven’t gotten back to me. As much as it kills me, I may have to make it my back up if I don’t get in anywhere else because i really don’t want to sit out another year and know i could get into the OD program that way.

Wow I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I'm curious what were their reasons for recommending you to the PreOpt program? Grades?
I don't really understand why they invited you to the interview in the first place if they were just going to recommend you to do PreOpt...smh. I hope you get into a school that you like.

Wow I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I'm curious what were their reasons for recommending you to the PreOpt program? Grades?
I don't really understand why they invited you to the interview in the first place if they were just going to recommend you to do PreOpt...smh. I hope you get into a school that you like.

I can’t remember what they told me but I’ve been accepted to my second choice UMSL so I’m telling NOVA to kick rocks. Lol

I can’t remember what they told me but I’ve been accepted to my second choice UMSL so I’m telling NOVA to kick rocks. Lol

Oh wow, congrats! I am still waiting to hear back from some schools and am taking my OAT soon. Im super nervous. I applied to NOVA, SCO, NECO, Salus, SUNY, MCPHS.

Hi,
I know this was awhile ago, but I was wondering if you ended up going to UMSL and how your experience has been so far there? I have been accepted there, but I am also considering ICO as well. I just want to hear from students that are actually going there.

Hi,

I know this was awhile ago, but I was wondering if you ended up going to UMSL and how your experience has been so far there? I have been accepted there, but I am also considering ICO as well. I just want to hear from students that are actually going there.

I haven’t started yet but I was also accepted to ICO. I however turned them down because UMSL has offered a scholarship. It’s funny to think how one school says I’m not good enough and another believes I deserve a scholarship

What were your stats?

Honestly they were just ok 2.98 overall 3.03 science and a 300 OAT but I have a lot of shadowing hours, extra curriculars (I was really busy in undergrad so it’s understandable) and my essay really showed my passion for optometry. They also were very impressed I managed doing all I did in undergrad while holding 2 jobs and battling medical condition.

I admit my stats aren’t the best but they met the requirements for every school I applied to. I really think my interview showed my passion which is what got me a scholarship.

I haven’t started yet but I was also accepted to ICO. I however turned them down because UMSL has offered a scholarship. It’s funny to think how one school says I’m not good enough and another believes I deserve a scholarship
Woohoo! I also got a scholarship to UMSL which helped my decision.

I also was invited for an interview for the Preparatory Optometry program , don’t Know if I should accept it, or not. Does anybody, knows if it’s worthy ? I have very similar stats as many of you, and so far I was just invited to one interview with Salus I’m just waiting for an answer from them.

Dr Bacigalupi is a rude pompous Twerp! don't let him get the best of you