Rules for formalin exposure limitation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
Was wondering what are the general practices when it comes to grossing and autopsies during pregnancy? What is the norm at most departments?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall the evidence to support it, if any (except at least one adamant mother-to-be), but my recollection was that we tried to keep anyone in their first trimester away from the formalin-heavy rotations (mainly grossing). If the formalin levels in the air in the relevant areas are low enough I'm not sure it matters. Autopsies are a different matter -- as long as they were physically OK I don't think we changed anything, as formalin exposure is generally negligible unless you go back bucket-diving. Pretty sure there was no official policy addressing it. My memory isn't quite clear on that though. Most everyone took the time to plan their schedule, or tell us as soon as they knew so we could re-arrange the schedule, so that I don't recall it being that much of an issue. We also had a big enough program to absorb changes without screwing anyone too much.