Pregnancy during residency - exposure to formalin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psammoma_body

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick literature search on Pubmed yields several results showing association of adverse pregnancy outcomes and formaldehyde exposure.

Majority of female residents being in their prime reproductive age, how do they handle this potential issue?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no way as an AP resident that you can avoid formalin entirely. To limit exposure, I would suggest you use appropriate PPE appropriately, periodically check that your grossing station's ventilation is working properly, and if a spill occurs, arrange for someone else to clean it up while you wait in another room for the air to clear. Also keep your face clear and hold your breath when opening large buckets or disposing of formalin. In my residency program, we were also somewhat concerned with xylene exposure in our frozen room, which had exceptionally poor ventilation. We had our hospital's occupational health experts check the air quality and they deemed it acceptable (but who knows). Lots of xylene in the histology lab so stay out of there if you can avoid it.

Get this....We didn't have any fume hoods while I was in residency until 4th year. We grossed with no fume hood. We stored and opened Tupperware with stored organs (potent concentrated formalin) with no fume hood. It had been like that at my program for many many years.

Our eyes burned and teared many times. If anything happens to me I'm going to sue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would avoid formalin exposure at all costs while gravid and in general.

One of my co-residents developed an odd lupus like rash butterfly shaped facial rash during SP months that went away while on non SP rotations. Pretty sure that will not be good for their long term health.

Knew other residents who had cough and issues with their eyes while grossing.

Wonder what PAs would say who get exposed their whole life instead of 4 years.

I know an awful lot of 75+ year old pathologists and histotechs that have inhaled formalin and xylene for decades and are doing fine. Use PPE, wear monitors etc.

I can't think of one path or histotech that had a adverse pregnancy outcome. If you live in Virginia it sounds like you can make the decision to keep it after birth anyways according to the gubernor.

Reactions: 1 user
Advising from a place of experience. Privately express this concern to your program director/lab safety officer and request to wear a formalin monitoring badge while grossing or doing whatever activity concerns you. If the levels of exposure are within acceptable limits, drop this issue, and continue to function as your program duties require. Don't create added drama and refuse to do the activity if there is no evidence to support overexposure. Added drama surrounding pregnancy will follow you throughout your career - translating into those she's great, but...types of recommendations when applying for fellowships and jobs. If you are not already pregnant, mitigate this risk and plan CP rotations when you expect to be pregnant.

Reactions: 1 user
I know an awful lot of 75+ year old pathologists and histotechs that have inhaled formalin and xylene for decades and are doing fine. Use PPE, wear monitors etc.

I can't think of one path or histotech that had a adverse pregnancy outcome. If you live in Virginia it sounds like you can make the decision to keep it after birth anyways according to the gubernor.
I CONCUR