Quantcast

Rules for Parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HyperDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we make a list or a book and give it to parents before they bring their kids into the office? I am doing out-pt peds now, and I cant believe all the stupid things parents do to make our lives - and theirs - harder!

1. Do not threaten your child with a shot if they dont behave. (I kid you not! And guess what happened the moment we put the kid on the exam table - waaahhh!)

2. Do not move your peacefully sleeping child from your lap. At least not until I have heard his or her heart and lungs. Because the moment you put him or her on the exam table, a quiet listen just isnt going to happen.

3. When bringing multiple kids, bring toys\books for them. Preferably bring an adult friend to take the other kids out of the room. And there is really no need for 3 adults and 3 kids in one room for one ear infection!

4. When I am distracting your child while you talk to the attending, dont turn to me and tell me "he knew all his animals years ago" at which point he instantly loses interest. I am not testing him - I am simply helping you hear what the attending has to say!

5. Don't change your story. (This applies to all pts - not just parents!) But I have given up on that one.

6. Know your chief complaint. I understand you are concerned that your child has slightly yellow teeth, and slouches, and watches too much TV. But how long has she had that ear ache that you called about at midnight last night?

7. If you "smoke outside" but I can smell smoke from down the hall, your child is still exposed to second-hand smoke.

I really like all the families I have seen recently, but some of them just need to be given advice. Like kids of laps are happier than kids on exam tables.

Feel free to add to the list!

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we make a list or a book and give it to parents before they bring their kids into the office? I am doing out-pt peds now, and I cant believe all the stupid things parents do to make our lives - and theirs - harder!

1. Do not threaten your child with a shot if they dont behave. (I kid you not! And guess what happened the moment we put the kid on the exam table - waaahhh!)

2. Do not move your peacefully sleeping child from your lap. At least not until I have heard his or her heart and lungs. Because the moment you put him or her on the exam table, a quiet listen just isnt going to happen.

3. When bringing multiple kids, bring toys\books for them. Preferably bring an adult friend to take the other kids out of the room. And there is really no need for 3 adults and 3 kids in one room for one ear infection!

4. When I am distracting your child while you talk to the attending, dont turn to me and tell me "he knew all his animals years ago" at which point he instantly loses interest. I am not testing him - I am simply helping you hear what the attending has to say!

5. Don't change your story. (This applies to all pts - not just parents!) But I have given up on that one.

6. Know your chief complaint. I understand you are concerned that your child has slightly yellow teeth, and slouches, and watches too much TV. But how long has she had that ear ache that you called about at midnight last night?

7. If you "smoke outside" but I can smell smoke from down the hall, your child is still exposed to second-hand smoke.

I really like all the families I have seen recently, but some of them just need to be given advice. Like kids of laps are happier than kids on exam tables.

Feel free to add to the list!

Your name is appropriate.

hippiedoc13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I second this one for sure!!! I heard it ALL the time when I was on outpt peds and it drove me up the wall. Nothing like telling your kid this to make her afraid of doctors and make everyone's life more difficult. I want kids to have a positive feeling toward coming to the doctor (esp b/c so many peds visits are well-child checks and a chance to educate & form rapport) so I hate it when I hear parents say this. Makes me want to give THEM a shot instead. :p

babyruth

Babyruth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe we could just be more proactive about it and put birth control in the drinking water. JK.

Fun post though.

Please Add----Not all kids that misbehave have ADHD.

SurgeryChef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is so funny and so true - glad I am not going into peds!

babyruth

Babyruth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
But do all kids with ADHD misbehave?

No, but that is a whole other can of worms. I guess I'm tired of some kids getting classified this way when they probably don't need a label/drugs, just better parenting. This is also true vice versa, where kids get misdiagnosed/underdiagnosed and they need the help and medical care implicit in the diagnosis.

SurgeryChef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
oh yeah- how about a rule to the effect of "stop asking me for antibiotics when your child has a COLD"!!!