Nov 29, 2010
Status
Hello All,

I have completed all classes for basic science and have taken time off before starting clinical rotataion. Would this create and negative impact on getting residency or for returning to school? What's the max duration for time off? Do I need to go through any extra classes?

Appreciate your help!

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
How is it that you get to take time off before rotations? I didn't think you could do that unless you had illness or on FMLA??

I would worry about it impacting your ability to graduate from medical school with your class. Usually you will have to make up that time off before you can graduate.

It will put you off cycle for residency. Why would you do this? Most residencies won't take someone off cycle so you would have to wait until July to start.

Not sure why you are looking for maximum time off? Unless you are having a baby? I wouldn't take any time if you can help it other than the vacation time that is built into the rotation schedule.

You will get better advice with a more specific question.

OP
M
Nov 29, 2010
Status
Thank you for your response Cabinbuilder. I took time off to prepare for USMLE and now I would like to return to school. Do you know any source from where I can find out policies for taking time off during med school?

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you for your response Cabinbuilder. I took time off to prepare for USMLE and now I would like to return to school. Do you know any source from where I can find out policies for taking time off during med school?
I guess I am confused since the school I went to did not allow for any time off unless it was for illness or having a baby. Of course if you failed a step then the school pulled you to make sure you passed the second time.

I think policies for taking time off would be school specific and you would have to take that up with the Dean's office as to what is allowed.